Winter window

That 1 jags fan

5 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I don’t think saying that we need to sign players and then being seriously sceptical as to the players signed are necessarily incompatible...

We have just signed a guy who scored two goals for the relegated team last year. Forgive me for not getting too excited. 

Its not incompatible just sadly predictable.

It is the January transfer window - clubs do not let good players who are performing well  leave in January unless they receive a lot of money.

So we are operating in a market of loans , has been's who might still have something ; flawed individuals who might have disciplinary or personal problems and who may benefit from a change of scene; players who have looked OK at a lower level and who MIGHT make the step up  or guys who were decent but  who's careers have stalled and MIGHT be rejuvenated by a fresh start. In each scenario there is a big element of hope/ luck/ judgement.  

Who did you actually expect we would be signing given where we are in the pecking order of Scottish football? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Its not incompatible just sadly predictable.

It is the January transfer window - clubs do not let good players who are performing well  leave in January unless they receive a lot of money.

So we are operating in a market of loans , has been's who might still have something ; flawed individuals who might have disciplinary or personal problems and who may benefit from a change of scene; players who have looked OK at a lower level and who MIGHT make the step up  or guys who were decent but  who's careers have stalled and MIGHT be rejuvenated by a fresh start. In each scenario there is a big element of hope/ luck/ judgement.  

Who did you actually expect we would be signing given where we are in the pecking order of Scottish football? 

All fair points. I’m not entirely slagging off the signing, just professing my scepticism as to the likelihood that these signings (based on their records) will significantly improve our squad in the way we have been assured they will. 

And it’s predictable because they don’t really meet with the rhetoric of quality signings with winning characters that we were promised. 

Everyone wants the same thing. And everyone wants these signings to pay off. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be sceptical. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

3 minutes ago, laukat said:

I would assume that Harkins, Cardle and Saunders are going to be first 11 players if so anyone got any idea how we are going to line up with the new additions?

Saunders should replace Elliot or Keown but who do Cardle and Harkins replace?

That may become clearer when we see who leaves 

5 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Cardle for storey. Harkins for spittal perhaps although I'm not sure Harkins will play many full 90 mins.....

These 2 moves would be fantastic. Just to settle earlier discussions- Storey has had ZERO good games this season (or ever). Spittal has had 2 good games this season.

But our clown of a manager thinks these 2 haddies are great. It ain’t going to happen!

And if he allows Erskine to go, we should all rebel! I would walk from Jarrow to protest.

41 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

These 2 moves would be fantastic. Just to settle earlier discussions- Storey has had ZERO good games this season (or ever). Spittal has had 2 good games this season.

But our clown of a manager thinks these 2 haddies are great. It ain’t going to happen!

And if he allows Erskine to go, we should all rebel! I would walk from Jarrow to protest.

Your talking nonsense Spittal has been one of our best players this season - far better than Doolan. You clearly forgot he is also our top scorer 

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

Just now, Third Lanark said:

So far you have been spot on with the signings. Have you heard if there’s any truth in the odea rumour?

A Dundee supporting pal of mine says that O Dea is about the only Dundee player that they are not trying to shift out of club.

He could be wrong, but is usually pretty clued up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell wants Chris Erskine out the door as he fears Erskine will take his job. It has absolutely nothing to do with the team and everything to do with Caldwell trying to save his sorry ass.

Erskine is contracted to the end of the season. He doesn't have to leave.

Dig in Chris.

Just a hunch , Chris Erskine will still be there after Caldwell leaves or is sacked . 

Doesn’t matter who he signs if he doesn’t change the way the team is set up we’ll still struggle.

Elliott and especially Penrice aren’t wing backs and that’s where we fall down on his preferred system and it doesn’t look as if he’s signed anybody in these 2 positions to make a difference 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Just a hunch , Chris Erskine will still be there after Caldwell leaves or is sacked . 

Doesn’t matter who he signs if he doesn’t change the way the team is set up we’ll still struggle.

Elliott and especially Penrice aren’t wing backs and that’s where we fall down on his preferred system and it doesn’t look as if he’s signed anybody in these 2 positions to make a difference 

It’s Jan 4 .....we can judge the squad on Feb 1

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Elliot has been playing wing back for last few years....

I for One am in mixed opinions ,I am Infact very happy with Cardle ,Harkins and Saunders and think they’ll bring something to our squad but am like most left puzzled by the keeper situation. Although if Caldwell doesn’t rate the keepers we have and releases one of the 3 (Lennox I would imagine) I think it’s decent business as I personally don’t rate bell at all so if we cut one adrift it makes sense. As for the striker Roy I am puzzled off his track record but if he is a target man who provides a plan B I am happy with that and will wait till I see him play before I pass judgement upon his signing! Also have to say I am loving the way we’re going about it right from the start of the window rather than sitting around waiting all month like Archie often did ,even more so due to the fact it seems Falkirk have also came flying out the traps. Let’s hope this is where Alloa get sucked adrift to the bottom.

32 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Elliot has been playing wing back for last few years....

Not disagreeing with you at all but Penrice isn’t quick enough or fit enough to play in that system.

We get hemmed in playing 3 Centre backs , the two wing backs sit too deep and we become a back 5 , on top of that we either play with 1 or 2 holding midfielders, no idea why when the opposition either play with 1 or at the very most 2 up front . It’s no wonder we don’t score a lot of goals .

I really hope I'm wrong. 

But none of this is exciting me. What I reckoned we needed was a manager who would get the best out of our existing team; not one who'd make it worse and then rely on a complete mid season rebuild to try to save us from disaster. 

I know there are some on here who think the players, and lack of quality, was the insurmountable problem; and that this is the first chance to address that. I didn't see it that way, but I do now genuinely hope that it is the case.

I certainly wish all the new recruits, and Gary Caldwell, all the very best in trying to turn this around. 

• Like 2

There is no doubt that a lot of the squad are not up to scratch and were signed in desperation by the previous management. And it is only right that they are shown the door..

But it is essential that their replacements are better than them. Time will tell.

Personally, I find it bizarre that GC rates some players in the current squad that are not rated by the majority of fans. Fans aren’t daft - we can tell pretty quickly if a player is a dud or not.

But the concern for me is that if we do go down, we are stuck with GC duds, just like we are currently stuck with AA duds.

27 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not disagreeing with you at all but Penrice isn’t quick enough or fit enough to play in that system.

We get hemmed in playing 3 Centre backs , the two wing backs sit too deep and we become a back 5 , on top of that we either play with 1 or 2 holding midfielders, no idea why when the opposition either play with 1 or at the very most 2 up front . It’s no wonder we don’t score a lot of goals .

I would say your analysis is spot on. 3-5-2 is generally deployed when you have to play counter-attacking football because you don't have or want a lot of possession. We don't have 2 wingbacks we have 1 wingback (elliot) and 1/2 fullbacks (Penrice/Scobbie). I think Archie signed Melbourne as a wingback but he went for 4-2-3-1 rather than 3-5-2.

3-5-2 also requires you 3 midfielders to get up and down the park and for at least 2 of them to be defensively minded. I don't think that describes too many of our midfielders and its certainly not Harkins game. Its also difficult to see where Cardle would fit in that system

I would assume that means we will be playing 4-4-2 to accomodate Harkins in the Centre and Cardle on the left but that then means that Saunders plays and Elliot doesn't. Also means that Keown plays or we have to sign a right-sided central defender. We also need a wide right sided midfielder but perhaps the idea is to move Elliot in front of Saunders and we line up something like this?

Hazard

Saunders-Keown or New signing-McGinty orNew Signing -Penrice

Elliot-Harkins-Bannigan-Cardle

Doolan-Coulibally

If correct or close the spine of team looks defensively weak at the moment

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Having watched Caldwell on Jagzone we can expect 2/3 more signings during the window .... Hazard will be the keeper , most of the signings will play and those not travelling tomorrow we can expect to be leaving 

I will not be travelling tomorrow , but I will not be leaving.:fan: