Winter window

That 1 jags fan

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

We need to join some dots.....

we have a number of players we can’t shift who are making life difficult in upgrading the squad 

the last two managers have not had erskine as a regular starter despite one of them signing him

his form over the last 18 months has been poor 

what we don’t know is whether livvy are offerring money for him or whether he wants to go no matter what 

I didn’t hear that he needed to get rid of players before he could bring in the players he wanted.

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

If, and it's a big if, we were doing better, the reaction to Erskine leaving would be completely different because of one simple fact - he's made little or no positive contribution to the team either this season or last. And the argument that he would have done better if only he'd been given more game time won't wash - he's had numerous opportunities to show the kind of performance he was capable of in the past and it's just not happened. For all his undoubted love for the club and all the tremendous things he's done in his time with Thistle, he was never going to be more than a squad player this season. However, him going to Livingston reflects badly on Caldwell simply because it shows, yet again, a lack of judgement on his part. He's on the record as saying that his biggest mistake at Chesterfield was losing the fans - well, guess what, Gary...

If another manager was responsible for this, we might be saying, shame to see him go, but a good bit of business if we can bring in someone better. So, over to you, Mr. Caldwell.

What is your definition of making a contribution. Being 2nd equal in assists doesn’t count ?

it may only be a few goals but there should be others in the queue ahead of him to be shown the door

16 minutes ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Caldwell has been piss poor, this is indisputable. AGREE Yet, he was left with a terrible mess which he inherited from Alan Archibald. AGREE  The January transfer window will help Caldwell and the squad no end. I HOPE SO. HAVE MY DOUBTS Already there has been improvement. I'M NOT SEEING IT Two draws yes but much improved performances COMPARED TO WHAT? CALDWELL'S PREVIOUS GAMES? and as the new players get match fit and bed in then the performances will improve further. I HOPE SO. HAVE MY DOUBTS

I believe Caldwell will keep us up, I DON'T even if that means winning the play offs. Never did I think this would happen but it is what it is. This season is all about staying up.  AGREED

Some of the nonsense I've read (on here and on twitter) about Chris Erskine is laughable. AGREED Some folk saying they'll not be back if Erskine goes. Really? AGREED. BUT THEY DON'T REALLY MEAN IT A player who hasn't kicked a ball in a season and a half?  BIT HARSH

All this nonsense about getting banners made - are you twelve years old? I'D RESPECT PEOPLE'S RIGHT

Caldwell was up against it from the start because many Jags fans didn't want Archie sacked. I DON'T THINK ANYONE WAS STILL ARGUING TO KEEP HIM He has been terrible, yes, ABSOLUTELY but he was left with an absolute shambles which he is trying to sort out this transfer window. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SORTING IT BEFORE THAT

Some of his tactics, team selection and substitutions are baffling AGREED  but then again so were Archibald's at times AGREED, BUT NO LONGER RELEVANT. Why not try and support the guy to try and keep OUR club up? WOULD LIKE TO, JUST REALLY STRUGGLING

I am completely sober. I BELIEVE YOU.

This post contains good sense and total nonsense in almost equal measure. :-)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Caldwell has been piss poor, this is indisputable. Yet, he was left with a terrible mess which he inherited from Alan Archibald. The January transfer window will help Caldwell and the squad no end. Already there has been improvement. Two draws yes but much improved performances and as the new players get match fit and bed in then the performances will improve further.

I believe Caldwell will keep us up, even if that means winning the play offs. Never did I think this would happen but it is what it is. This season is all about staying up. 

Some of the nonsense I've read (on here and on twitter) about Chris Erskine is laughable. Some folk saying they'll not be back if Erskine goes. Really? A player who hasn't kicked a ball in a season and a half? 

All this nonsense about getting banners made - are you twelve years old? 

Caldwell was up against it from the start because many Jags fans didn't want Archie sacked. He has been terrible, yes, but he was left with an absolute shambles which he is trying to sort out this transfer window. 

Some of his tactics, team selection and substitutions are baffling but then again so were Archibald's at times. Why not try and support the guy to try and keep OUR club up?

I am completely sober.

Because supporting the guy and trying to keep our club up appear to be mutually exclusive.

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

What is your definition of making a contribution. Being 2nd equal in assists doesn’t count ?

it may only be a few goals but there should be others in the queue ahead of him to be shown the door

If he goes I doubt if he'll get much time on the pitch at Livvy.  Interesting to see their fans reaction to the potential signing....underwhelming. They would rather have Penrice. Fickle or what....

6 minutes ago, sandy said:

Erskine is gone. Official site confirms.

18 month contract, nominal fee. 

Our loss.

Changing the subject slightly but on that note rather than a nominal fee, could Caldwell not have argued for a loan of Sibbald(who Livi fans reckon will be loaned if not released) in exchange, is capable of scoring goals in the Championship and we badly need that.  Or does Caldwell not rate him either, no doubt he will end up going on loan to Falkirk or something

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Changing the subject slightly but on that note rather than a nominal fee, could Caldwell not have argued for a loan of Sibbald(who Livi fans reckon will be loaned if not released) in exchange, is capable of scoring goals in the Championship and we badly need that.  Or does Caldwell not rate him either, no doubt he will end up going on loan to Falkirk or something

He’s been scouting lower league and non-league games in NW England this week, what sort of standard do you expect to see

Couple of points nagging me.

Were Livvy the club referred to in the club statement last week? If so then Chris moving today is the natural conclusion of that.

If not, did the statement alert them to his availability and add Livvy to a list of other club managers (ok maybe a short list of 2) that feel he is good enough for their squads.

I thought 2018 was as bad as it could get for a Jags fan but 15 days in and this is beginning to make 2018 look like the Wonder Years......

23 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

He’s been scouting lower league and non-league games in NW England this week, what sort of standard do you expect to see

Unfortunately Norgethistle,  the standard that we are now and have been for some time.  Our league and up to mid table in the SPFL is lower and non league level in England. 

52 minutes ago, Jaggydave said:

If not, did the statement alert them to his availability and add Livvy to a list of other club managers

Chris and/or his representatives alerted other clubs to his availability.

He's swapped the bench at Thistle for the bench at Livi. I hope he enjoys a bit of success there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggydave said:

Couple of points nagging me.

Were Livvy the club referred to in the club statement last week? If so then Chris moving today is the natural conclusion of that.

If not, did the statement alert them to his availability and add Livvy to a list of other club managers (ok maybe a short list of 2) that feel he is good enough for their squads.

I thought 2018 was as bad as it could get for a Jags fan but 15 days in and this is beginning to make 2018 look like the Wonder Years......

No it was Ayr

48 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

He's swapped the bench at Thistle for the bench at Livi. I hope he enjoys a bit of success there.

Because he was told he wasn’t wanted by Caldwell. This is Caldwell’s decision. 

56 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Chris or his reps did not alert other clubs, the fact that Caldwell had him sitting on the bench alerted clubs. It was Iain McCall who initially asked about Chris. Get your facts right 

There are several sides to every story, and very little is actually known about the situation.  I wouldn't expect to get away with challenging my boss at work in front of others (even if others thought I was being reasonable). I'd expect to get away with it even less if I told people outside of work and it ended up causing lots of discord among customers on social media.

Mass hysteria about this now is not going to help us. Caldwell will deserve the sack if results remain as bad - not for releasing a particular player. The entire club needs to focus on avoiding relegation - including via a playoff, if this is required.

• Like 2