Winter window

That 1 jags fan

I heard Cammy Bell on Sportsound tonight and thought he came over quite well. He said Caldwell had told him that he was bringing in another keeper and he could leave. Bell accepted that the manager wanted to bring in his own players  but he didn't want to leave Firhill and had hoped to get back in the team. He said he has tried to support Jamie Stevenson who was disappointed at being dropped and queried bringing in a young goalkeeper from another club rather than developing someone from our own youth system - that's a fair point and I hope Hazard improves from his unconvincing performance against Falkirk.

Bell also spoke highly of Chris Erskine both as a player and a positive influence in the dressing room.  Ian McCall was also a guest said that he had tried to sign Erskine and that Stuart Bannigan was the best midfielder in the Division. The general view in the studio was that it seemed strange to pick fights with senior players but Caldwell would stand or fall on his own decisions.

This season has been a wasted opportunity and finishing eighth is not any achievement with the players and budget we have.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I heard Cammy Bell on Sportsound tonight and thought he came over quite well. He said Caldwell had told him that he was bringing in another keeper and he could leave.

Appreciate the summary, Wo63. That first paragraph completely contradicts what I'd read earlier on Twitter and serves to highlight the lengths some fans will go to stoke feelings of resentment towards the manager.

3 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I heard Cammy Bell on Sportsound tonight and thought he came over quite well. He said Caldwell had told him that he was bringing in another keeper and he could leave. Bell accepted that the manager wanted to bring in his own players  but he didn't want to leave Firhill and had hoped to get back in the team. He said he has tried to support Jamie Stevenson who was disappointed at being dropped and queried bringing in a young goalkeeper from another club rather than developing someone from our own youth system - that's a fair point and I hope Hazard improves from his unconvincing performance against Falkirk.

Bell also spoke highly of Chris Erskine both as a player and a positive influence in the dressing room.  Ian McCall was also a guest said that he had tried to sign Erskine and that Stuart Bannigan was the best midfielder in the Division. The general view in the studio was that it seemed strange to pick fights with senior players but Caldwell would stand or fall on his own decisions.

This season has been a wasted opportunity and finishing eighth is not any achievement with the players and budget we have.

I think the bit in bold is the key bit. He's now signed 7 players so there is no longer an excuse that the players Archie left him with are the reason for poor results going forward.

15 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Not only will Caldwell stand or fall on his decisions, the future of Thistle will stand or fall as well.

54 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Bells fitness was shocking and he was causing us a goal a game.  Contributed little under both managers. He only has himself to blame for being told he can go regardless of how well he comes over in his interviews

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

Thanks for the update.

Btw You mean Sneddon rather than Stevenson. 

2 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

You seem optimistic.

11 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Appreciate the summary, Wo63. That first paragraph completely contradicts what I'd read earlier on Twitter and serves to highlight the lengths some fans will go to stoke feelings of resentment towards the manager.

Conspiracy theorist.

15 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

Seeing as you read it on Twitter but are choosing to highlight it on here I’d say your post only serves to highlight the length that some fans will go to try and divide our support into factions.

Got a problem with someone on Twitter take it up with them instead of bitching about it elsewhere. There’s often a similar approach on P&B where some Jags fans are happy to slag off posts they read on here, it is elitist bullshit.

• Like 1

Bell has been terrible but I thought he came across fairly well. What he said about Erskine’s departure and the gap he left in terms of experience and character (along the lines of “when you’re in a difficult situation like we are, you need senior pros who have been around the block”) was an interesting one, and certainly backs up the theory that Erskine was popular in the dressing room and that it will have an undoubted impact on team morale.

The bit around the lack of communication between Caldwell and Bell (prior to him being told he could leave) was also slightly concerning and allied with Erskine’s comments does point to an issue around Caldwell’s management of relationships with players.

The point he made re: taking another team’s player on loan at the expense of developing our own talented young goalkeeper was also well made. The proof will be in the form over the next few matches, I suppose. 

Something that both Bell and Ian McCall were clear on was that in our position, style of football and “philosophy” doesn’t matter and all that matters is results. My concern has always been that Caldwell seems to value possession stats over the most important stats of all - goals scored and goals conceded. Witness his continual talk of progress as we have slipped further and further down the league.  It’s clearly been a failing of his in the past and I did think those comments were quite significant in terms of Bell and McCall’s perceptions of what Caldwell is all about. 

I don’t think we should entirely disregard what I thought were fairly insightful comments just because Bell has performed poorly. He’s an experienced pro who knows the game and spoke pretty well. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

Got a problem with someone on Twitter take it up with them instead of bitching about it elsewhere. 

Sound approach.

By extension, would you suggest that anyone who has a problem with the current manager of Partick Thistle should knock on his door and ask for a chat about his stewardship of the club, or continue to bump their gums on the internet? 

1 minute ago, Dark Passenger said:

Sound approach.

By extension, would you suggest that anyone who has a problem with the current manager of Partick Thistle should knock on his door and ask for a chat about his stewardship of the club, or continue to bump their gums on the internet? 

It’s a forum, DP. Get over yersel mate!

58 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Bell has been terrible but I thought he came across fairly well. What he said about Erskine’s departure and the gap he left in terms of experience and character (along the lines of “when you’re in a difficult situation like we are, you need senior pros who have been around the block”) was an interesting one, and certainly backs up the theory that Erskine was popular in the dressing room and that it will have an undoubted impact on team morale.

The bit around the lack of communication between Caldwell and Bell (prior to him being told he could leave) was also slightly concerning and allied with Erskine’s comments does point to an issue around Caldwell’s management of relationships with players.

The point he made re: taking another team’s player on loan at the expense of developing our own talented young goalkeeper was also well made. The proof will be in the form over the next few matches, I suppose. 

Something that both Bell and Ian McCall were clear on was that in our position, style of football and “philosophy” doesn’t matter and all that matters is results. My concern has always been that Caldwell seems to value possession stats over the most important stats of all - goals scored and goals conceded. Witness his continual talk of progress as we have slipped further and further down the league.  It’s clearly been a failing of his in the past and I did think those comments were quite significant in terms of Bell and McCall’s perceptions of what Caldwell is all about. 

I don’t think we should entirely disregard what I thought were fairly insightful comments just because Bell has performed poorly. He’s an experienced pro who knows the game and spoke pretty well. 

I thought all of these "well made" points sounded like lightly veiled criticisms from a player who wasn't getting on particularly well with his manager. Not so much insightful as a bit stroppy.

And I'm no fan of Caldwell either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

I thought all of these "well made" points sounded like lightly veiled criticisms from a player who wasn't getting on particularly well with his manager. Not so much insightful as a bit stroppy.

And I'm no fan of Caldwell either.

No doubt there’s elements of that but given his points backed up existing perceptions / evidenced faults of Caldwell I did think they had some merit.