Winter window

That 1 jags fan

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

We are where we are in the league BECAUSE we've been 'too nice' in the past! Really time for a bit of ruthlessness. "Doesn't work that way in a provincial club"? Really? You think Lambie and Auld were successful because they were nice guys? Or Stein or Shankly or Busby or Ferguson? I get you just want to criticise Caldwell, but in this case, he's spot on.

All the managers you mention were successful. So far Caldwell with 1 league win out of 12 is not. Hope he turns it around. A win today a must.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

When McCall came in I’m pretty sure he too moved on quite a few of Campbell’s signings that did nothing and were on long cushy contracts.

I don’t think this is actually correct. My memory has it that there were about eight players in contract when McCall came to the club. He signed basically a completely new team. When he arrived I think the following were on the books:

Tuffey (kept)

Archie (kept)

Robertson (kept)

Strachan (binned, but not a long contract)

Jimmy Gibson (ditto)

Roberts (kept)

Donnelly (kept)

I vaguely remember some commotion about whether Billy Gibson should be offered a new contract and he wasn’t.

But I’m afraid it’s just not true that McCall binned Campbell’s team: almost all of it had already moved on.

Worth emphasising really just how much of a rebuild job that was for McCall. Brought in:

Buchanan, Murray, Chaplain, Harkins, Twaddle, Hinchcliffe, McKinlay and Rowson in that summer, alongside duds like Di Giacomo and Keegan and crock McStay.

44 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I don’t think this is actually correct. My memory has it that there were about eight players in contract when McCall came to the club. He signed basically a completely new team. When he arrived I think the following were on the books:

Tuffey (kept)

Archie (kept)

Robertson (kept)

Strachan (binned, but not a long contract)

Jimmy Gibson (ditto)

Roberts (kept)

Donnelly (kept)

I vaguely remember some commotion about whether Billy Gibson should be offered a new contract and he wasn’t.

But I’m afraid it’s just not true that McCall binned Campbell’s team: almost all of it had already moved on.

Worth emphasising really just how much of a rebuild job that was for McCall. Brought in:

Buchanan, Murray, Chaplain, Harkins, Twaddle, Hinchcliffe, McKinlay and Rowson in that summer, alongside duds like Di Giacomo and Keegan and crock McStay.

Maybe it wasn’t that many was probably thinking of guys like graham Gibson, Scott Boyd  who were on the books, brown Ferguson maybe too

Edited by Third Lanark

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

You don't treat any human being like that.

That approach to his staff says more about the limited personal attributes of Mr Caldwell than his results in post ever have.

Get this fud to ****.

Really ? It happens all the time in football .....

lets think of the managers who have done this ...... Ferguson , Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Really ? It happens all the time in football .....

lets think of the managers who have done this ...... Ferguson , Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez

That doesn't make it appropriate behaviour.

Once Caldwell emulates the four managers you mentioned and wins a major trophy, he can get back to us on his approach to staff management. Until then I wouldn't want him in charge of a boy scouts' team.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Lot of nonsense about nothing.

Caldwell knows who he wants in his first team group and who he wants to concentrate his time with in training.  That doesn't stop him bringing squad and youth teams into the mix in the case of injury or whatever.

Cammy Bell is seeing out his final gig.

Nothing here to get excited or wound up about it's the normal course of football.

Like him or loathe him you have to say he's been nothing but honest with Bell, Keown and Erskine (that we know about) and I don't disagree with any of those decisions (taking emotion out of the process which is essential for a team to be successful).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

It isn't a question of honesty, it's a question of how people are treated.

We all understand and accept that managers may not fancy players they have inherited. However, belittling anyone isn't acceptable under any circumstances - in any walk of life.

Try following your own advice. You rarely bother going to any games but regularly belittle those that do and have a different opinion to yours. Complete and utter hypocrite 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Article in the newspaper this morning with Cammy Bell , been told to train with the youth team etc , just my opinion whether you rate Cammy Bell or not and I don’t , it’s not the way to treat senior pros and sets a bad example to everyone connected to our Club.

The arrogance of Caldwell is beyond belief .

Ha!

That's what happens when you have a pop at your boss on national radio.

F*ck Cammy Bell.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

It isn't a question of honesty, it's a question of how people are treated.

We all understand and accept that managers may not fancy players they have inherited. However, belittling anyone isn't acceptable under any circumstances - in any walk of life.

Naw

8 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Delighted to hear he's training with the youths. Delighted he's nowhere near the first team. I was always concerned that we were too 'nice' under Archibald - too many 'really nice guys' signed who fitted well into the squad, but made us an easy three points all too often.  Time to get some right ******** in. Time for some ruthlessness. It's not a youth club we're running - seriously don't care if some 'senior pro' has his nose out of joint because he's been held to account for some frankly attrocious performances. There are a few others in that squad I hope are training with him and the youths...

Totally agree.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Any more of this disruptive bickering and Barney & TL should be made to post with the Junior Jags:)

Disgraceful suggestion m'lady.

What have those poor kids done to deserve such disruption to their otherwise innocent and harmonious development???

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our squad is so much better balanced than it was at the start of the season. If we get another centre half I think McMillan will take Elliots place at right back. 

Caldwell said he wants a striker and a central defender, if we could punt Keown ,Mutumbo and Bell it would be nice to see another winger.

Hope Cardles injury isn't a bad one him and Fitzpatrick are really making a difference to the team.