Winter window

That 1 jags fan

I've been a strong critic of both the Board and Caldo. However, I must give the Board credit for keeping their nerve and giving the manager the funds to improve the squad, given his appalling record since he took over; especially after, presumably, he had told them he could 'turn things round' with the then existing squad (in which let's face it he was far too optimistic).

Whilst not forgetting dugouts/SAS/Squid etc., I also give Caldo credit for bringing in some decent players, getting rid of the dross, and for giving us something to look forward to, rather than dread, on a Saturday. The transformation has been remarkable, let's hope it keeps up.

Early days, but I now can't see us finishing bottom of this table with the squad we've got, and the fighting spirit that's been evident in the last two games.

• Like 1

Of the seven outfield players signed this month, five have now featured for the first team with two of them scoring three goals between them. That stat should, of course, be four goals between three. We know that Harkins has goals in him, while Anderson appears to be good for a couple of goals per season.

Also worth mentioning that Hazard made a critical stop on Saturday at 0-0.

I'm acutely aware of our current predicament, despite what some people might think, but I see the above as grounds for optimism. A point away from home on Saturday followed by a morale-boosting cup win the following week would do wonders for confidence.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I've been a strong critic of both the Board and Caldo. However, I must give the Board credit for keeping their nerve and giving the manager the funds to improve the squad, given his appalling record since he took over; especially after, presumably, he had told them he could 'turn things round' with the then existing squad (in which let's face it he was far too optimistic).

Whilst not forgetting dugouts/SAS/Squid etc., I also give Caldo credit for bringing in some decent players, getting rid of the dross, and for giving us something to look forward to, rather than dread, on a Saturday. The transformation has been remarkable, let's hope it keeps up.

Early days, but I now can't see us finishing bottom of this table with the squad we've got, and the fighting spirit that's been evident in the last two games.

Has he been given so many funds? It maybe he has moved some higher earners and used them for less costly players. A number are on loan so we may only pay a part of their wages

2 hours ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Caldwell has had a good window and there's still time to get one more in and maybe a couple out. 

We now have a decent squad on paper and a much better squad than at the start of the season. 

Archie had a horrendous time signing players this season. Whether this was hindered by the board I don't know but some of his signings looked like panic buys. Caldwell has done well to move a lot of them on. 

We definitely look strong enough to stay up now.

Hazard, Sneddon.

Elliot, Anderson, McMillan, Penrice, Saunders.

Bannigan, Harkins, Spittal, Slater, McCarthy, Cardle, Fitzpatrick.

Coulibally, Mansell, Doolan, Storey, Roy.

Caldwell now has plenty of options and we can start to slowly but surely move up the table.

Well done Gary Caldwell.

Also O’Ware and Gordon to come back in

34 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Also O’Ware and Gordon to come back in

As I posted yesterday, O'Ware won't likely be back till late March at the very earliest. Add on a couple weeks for outings in the reserves and he'll be lucky to be match fit much before the end of the season. Gordon I thought had a set back but as he hasn't been recalled to Motherwell you'd think he would still have a part to play*. 

Of course "end of the season" hasn't taken into account the play offs. Incidentally I think there's a case to be made for saying we've missed Gordon as much as O'Ware. The team looks far more threatening when Slater and Banzo can get forward more often. Gordon looked the best equipped to play holding/defensive mid.

*eta it seems that Gordon is indeed not too far off a return.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As I posted yesterday, O'Ware won't likely be back till late March at the very earliest. Add on a couple weeks for outings in the reserves and he'll be lucky to be match fit much before the end of the season. Gordon I thought had a set back but as he hasn't been recalled to Motherwell you'd think he would still have a part to play*. 

Of course "end of the season" hasn't taken into account the play offs. Incidentally I think there's a case to be made for saying we've missed Gordon as much as O'Ware. The team looks far more threatening when Slater and Banzo can get forward more often. Gordon looked the best equipped to play holding/defensive mid.

*eta it seems that Gordon is indeed not too far off a return.

Could McCarthy not be used to play the same role in allowing banzo and Slater to push further on? 

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not good on these things but would I be right in saying we've used up our "loan allowance"?  If so Bingham might be OK on a short term deal but wouldn't say much for Roy & Mansell and would confuse me.

10 goals in 3 years according to Wikipedia- Not the greatest of goal returns 

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not good on these things but would I be right in saying we've used up our "loan allowance"?  If so Bingham might be OK on a short term deal but wouldn't say much for Roy & Mansell and would confuse me.

I think he knows Roy and Mansell at present aren’t good enough to get us out this mess

i think he got them cheap enough that he took a punt but knows he needs better.

2 minutes ago, Paukea said:

I think he knows Roy and Mansell at present aren’t good enough to get us out this mess

i think he got them cheap enough that he took a punt but knows he needs better.

Well that's kinda what I was meaning. I'd have thought Bingham would be a decent enough addition if we didn't have the other two, and Storey for that matter. Depends of course how highly Bingham is rated but I'd have thought he is only on a par with those three. Anyway just conjecture.

2 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I'd rather play Penrice there if Anderson is up to speed, moving McMillan to left back.

Fair shout. I think penrice is wasted at left back doesn’t have the  pace. Would have to shuffle the formation as slater or Spittal would be replacing Cardle in a more forward role and I doubt either would be effective as wingers.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not the only one confused by GC’s signings ;)

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 PM, Norgethistle said:

He’d hoped to have another CH signed today but it delayed, 3 signings due before Wednesday as waiting on other clubs getting folk in to let us get those coming out, this includes a striker I’ve heard, if he shifts Keown, Mutomba and Bell maybe 2 more lined up.

Are we still in course to potentially have another 3 signings Norge?

seems to be giving himself a bit of a headache where no natural first choice (for striker for example) player exists for a preferred lineup but makes for a versatile rotational selection policy if GC believes the players are capable of switching formations during games and playing different formations depending on opposition.  Archie was often slow to react/change formations and/or the players weren't able to adapt quickly enough.

Should be a very interesting run in to the season end now.