Harkins

javeajag

9 minutes ago, blakey said:

I thought he was excellent against us earlier in the season. One of my favourite ever players so can’t really understand all the complaints. Some folk are never happy. I reckon with banzo in cdm and spittal and harkins further forward - it could work.

welcome back Gary.

We still need cover at fullbacks as more of a priority but I guess it depends who is available. You bunch of miserable buggers can get back to playing football manager,

ps. He’s not eligible to play on Saturday as January window not open yet.

then again, he might play in a back three

• Like 1

I for one am happy about this signing I get the groans of ages of these players were being linked too but what people need too realise as we are in nothing more than a dog fight to stay in this league for this year ,experience and a bit of know how is exactly what we need to start grinding out results and keep ourselves in this league ,I think too we do need some youth and pace brought in also of course ,but welcome home Gary! 

Happy with the signing - good experience and obviously has a soft spot for Thistle (remember him sitting near us at Challenge Cup Final) - on his day still a class act.

Pace not there, but never has been. Set plays excellent & can play the killer pass. 

Welcome back - looking forward to seeing him back in the red & yellow.

Gary Harkins and Kallum Higgenbotham are my two  favourite Thistle Players of this Century for sheer entertainment value...and the performance by Gary for Dundee in a sleet-storm on a mudheap pitch at Firhill two seasons ago was the best by any opposition player I saw during our 5 seasons in the Top League. However, I am underwhelmed by this signing...I would far rather see Chris Erskine play in that role behind the main striker(s) - you couldn't play both of them.  Bannigan, Slater and Spittal are all better options as attacking midfielders.

We need 3 competent central defenders, cover for both full back positions, a decent defensive midfielder (since McCarthy apparently doesn't merit a start) and a forward who can score goals and create more chances than Storey(not a high bar). These  are all obvious and urgent priorities...Gary Harkins is a luxury item, years past his best who doesn't seem to fit into our current team structure.

"When we have the ball we can't lose it. When that happens, run and get it back. That is it basically"

The above is from Caldwells Twitter Bio and I think its quite revealing on why out style of play is so ineffective and why he's went for Harkins. In essence he wants to not lose goals by retaining possession at all costs which in turns means loads of possession with a fear of doing anything that might risk giving the ball away. There is no real attacking philosophy as attacking involves the risk of losing possession. In turn that makes us stale and devoid of ideas.

So to get ideas you need a 'mecurial' player who can provide something from nothing. Caldwell doesn't feel Erskine can do this so go's for Harkins who is the experienced available option.

To me we really need to hope Harkins does well as he is Caldwell's main of idea of how we score goals

10 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Gary Harkins and Kallum Higgenbotham are my two  favourite Thistle Players of this Century for sheer entertainment value...and the performance by Gary for Dundee in a sleet-storm on a mudheap pitch at Firhill two seasons ago was the best by any opposition player I saw during our 5 seasons in the Top League. However, I am underwhelmed by this signing...I would far rather see Chris Erskine play in that role behind the main striker(s) - you couldn't play both of them.  Bannigan, Slater and Spittal are all better options as attacking midfielders.

We need 3 competent central defenders, cover for both full back positions, a decent defensive midfielder (since McCarthy apparently doesn't merit a start) and a forward who can score goals and create more chances than Storey(not a high bar). These  are all obvious and urgent priorities...Gary Harkins is a luxury item, years past his best who doesn't seem to fit into our current team structure.

this, all of this

18 month contract    is this the manager and the board keeping the fans onside by bringing back an old favourite

how about jackie campbell, doug somner, big john harvey

if this is the calibre of our january signings then god help us

4 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Welcome back Gary.

Loved him when he was last with us and gutted when he left. Sure, it was a long time ago.

We are in the mire and Harkins has good experience. Let's get onside and judge him on his performances.

Totally agree.

Don't suspect the big man will be too bothered by what is said on the Forum, but some of the comments on here are hardly likely to put a spring in his step.

Fact is we are shite , not scoring goals and creating feck all. Harkins is a talented intelligent  footballer- yes his best days are probably behind him but I think he  will still be able to see/play a couple of passes per game that most other players would'nt,

Welcome back Gary

Great signing.  The transfer window in January is hard to get players in .

Then pluses,

Tried and tested in this league not some unknown from down  south

A early signing

Exactly the player we need . Composed , can retain possession,  and can deliver a killer pass. At the moment we  see a lot of the ball but can't make chances therefore have very few decent chances.  Can see dools benefiting from his assists.

Gary is exactly the player we have been missing. 

If we are truly still going for promotion , this is bizarre signing (given length of contract). 

Gary Harkins would however be an amazing player for us one league down. 

Given he has signed prior to the window, it’s fair to assume this is a Gary target number one signing aye? And we can judge accordingly  for the next  18 months  

19 minutes ago, jaf said:

If we are truly still going for promotion , this is bizarre signing (given length of contract). 

Given he has signed prior to the window, it’s fair to assume this is a Gary target number one signing aye? And we can judge accordingly  for the next  18 months  

Assuming it’s Caldwell that’s went for him, and not just a player the club provided for the manager.

From what I heard he sees himself as a sweeper now

Gotta give him a chance as well as trust caldwell. We trusted the shite archie signed and his decisions for long enough we cannot just write folk off. He may be good/bad/indifferent but if he keeps us in the league this season and even plays a bit part next season in hopefully a promotion push then job done.

32 minutes ago, jaf said:

Fair to say that whatever the rhetoric from the Board , this signing is to help us stay in the league or you wouldn’t have given a 34 yr old who has been released from his last 3 clubs an 18 month contract. Even if we managed to unbelievably get promotion, I don’t think Gary Harkins could cut it the SPFL now 

This signing is about the here and now to help us stay up .

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Fair to say that whatever the rhetoric from the Board , this signing is to help us stay in the league or you wouldn’t have given a 34 yr old who has been released from his last 3 clubs an 18 month contract. Even if we managed to unbelievably get promotion, I don’t think Gary Harkins could cut it the SPFL now 

This signing is about the here and now to help us stay up .

Spot on. It's all about staying up this year. A total rebuild job. That's the reality.