Harkins

javeajag

6 hours ago, blakey said:

I thought he was excellent against us earlier in the season. One of my favourite ever players so can’t really understand all the complaints. Some folk are never happy. I reckon with banzo in cdm and spittal and harkins further forward - it could work.

welcome back Gary.

We still need cover at fullbacks as more of a priority but I guess it depends who is available. You bunch of miserable buggers can get back to playing football manager,

ps. He’s not eligible to play on Saturday as January window not open yet.

Are you sure if he has been released from his queen of the south contract is he not a free agent when he signed for us?

5 hours ago, falklandal1 said:

Hoping this works out,but I am confused with it,Mr Caldwell hooked a player a few weeks back who he didn't think was doing enough work,who is going to do  Garys work for him?

He never was someone who could run but his goal and assists record is better than the player you were referring too was hooked,who I understand scored something like 11 goals in 8 years 

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

This looks like a classic lambic type signing ....so who knows could be inspired or a waste of time ....we will know in January 

This, if he can lose a bit of weight & get fitter then I think he should be a good signing for us. The rest of the squad looks fitter with Caldwell so if Harkins wants it to go well I don't see any reason why he can't get a bit fitter & be an asset, even if that is as a squad player. As I said previously, I see him as a step up from Storer which is what you're looking for, replace players with better ones.

I would imagine we only wanted to give him 6 months but sometimes you might need to push the boat out if you think it's required & worth it, time will tell. I don't think we would struggle to move him on to another club if we wanted to move him on at the end of the season, he's talented enough that a club will always be willing to take him on.

53 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Are you sure if he has been released from his queen of the south contract is he not a free agent when he signed for us?

In his Jagzone interview he said he can’t play on Saturday. He also said we approached him after he was released by Queens

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Being released makes no difference. If when the window closed on 31/08 he was under contract he cannot play for another team until 01/01, whether he kicked a ball for his original club or not and entirely irrespective of how his current contract ended. The only exception is a loan agreement (which is dependent on league rules) or if his contract is cancelled due to administration when the league needs to grant an exception (like Gallagher and others in our promotion season).

Edited by ClydebankJag

Not too fussed either way if Harkins is seen as a replacement for Storer or perhaps Scobbie. We'd be no worse off that being the case. So I'd like to think this being Caldwell's first new signing it isn't in order of priority and more to do with availability. If Gary sees himself as playing sweeper that's usually a sign of a player realising his energy levels have reached such a low as that's about the only position left. That in itself is not necessarily that bad a situation as his dead ball skills won't have dropped off and he might just make a proficient defender this time round.  We'll soon find out, I suppose.

45 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Remember when Lambie turned davie irons into a sweeper .... genius move 

correct   however davie irons could run about and tackle a fish supper

btw at the last home game i was told by "someone in the know"  that gerry britton did not want gc to be appointed manager

Edited by watties wallies

I think, given the state we are currently in, we don't just need bolstered. We also need inspired. Maybe Gary Harkins is the type of player who can give us that. And we can't be spoiled for choice in our current situation. Probably needs to be a risk that works out.

So is it the signing that will sort all our problems? No.

But is it a signing that could prove positive and significant? Lets wait and see. 

Just watched GC’s prematch interview on Jagzone. Seems that the move for Gary Harkins came from Brian Kerr knowing him from their Dundee days. Caldwell said he’s a fantastic character and will be looking to quicken the transition from defence to attack....

Deep in the recesses of my mind I can remember Gary H playing in defence not long after he signed for us. He was AWFUL, laughably bad, almost! And then he moved to midfield and we all know how good he was for us there.

Fingers  crossed he can do something for us because he doesn't need to be hugely creative to be better than those trying to bluff the opposition currently.

26 minutes ago, jagfaelivi said:

Deep in the recesses of my mind I can remember Gary H playing in defence not long after he signed for us. He was AWFUL, laughably bad, almost! And then he moved to midfield and we all know how good he was for us there.

Fingers  crossed he can do something for us because he doesn't need to be hugely creative to be better than those trying to bluff the opposition currently.

Cost us a goal in a match when he tried to walk the ball out of defence and got caught in possession. The move to midfield was a huge improvement 

21 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Assuming it’s Caldwell that’s went for him, and not just a player the club provided for the manager.

From what I heard he sees himself as a sweeper now

If the club did get the player without Caldwell knowing,lets hope it's not like getting a surprise Christmas present, when you ask for the receipt to return it.

I think it was the cup game against Livi where Harkins had to play right back for much of the game? He was rank rotten in the back four.

Just a gut instinct, but I don't think Gary will be a particularly good or a particularly bad signing for the Club. He will be "fine".

What I'm more worried about is where Caldwell sees him fitting into the existing squad. If a direct replacement for Storer, I'm content. Even if he's an indirect replacement ahead of Ntambwe moving on, I'm probably okay with it, though it would leave us light in terms of midfield dig. If, however, this is the prelude to moving Erskine on, then a poor year or so notwithstanding I would be pretty disappointed.

2 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I think it was the cup game against Livi where Harkins had to play right back for much of the game? He was rank rotten in the back four.

Just a gut instinct, but I don't think Gary will be a particularly good or a particularly bad signing for the Club. He will be "fine".

What I'm more worried about is where Caldwell sees him fitting into the existing squad. If a direct replacement for Storer, I'm content. Even if he's an indirect replacement ahead of Ntambwe moving on, I'm probably okay with it, though it would leave us light in terms of midfield dig. If, however, this is the prelude to moving Erskine on, then a poor year or so notwithstanding I would be pretty disappointed.

Gary was a terrific player for us as an attacking mid.

All this talk about defence or defensive mid is bull. I recall one game when he was pressed into action as an emergency CB @ Stirling Albion And was embarrassed by Martin Gahan(donkey that signed for us).

So, this will not happen.

Harkins is an attacking mid who should directly replace the appalling Storey. If he creates more than 2 goals which he will, he will have trumped Storey in a short time.

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

Cost us a goal in a match when he tried to walk the ball out of defence and got caught in possession. The move to midfield was a huge improvement 

He should fit in perfectly in that case.

He'll be even more at home if he can pick up the art of backing off and refusing to tackle anybody that runs towards him with the ball.

Edited by Jaggernaut