Caldwell and Low update from PTFC

westertonjagfan

13 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

If we were as good a football team as Caldwell is at speaking, we would be challenging Celtic.

Overall its a good interview, Jacqui sitting there looking on in awe. This is a big month coming up for us and him. If he fails, his future career will be in the media

If he fails I really don't care about his future. But I do care about ours.

Questions were as bland as usual in football manager interviews.  No questions about why the results have been so bad.  No questions about what lessons have been learned.  Jacqui Low looked a bit distant at times, and tended to look at Caldwell slightly from the corner of her eyes rather than look squarely at him.  Got the impression she was being judgemental about his replies. 

Some good points about being ready for the window and not leaving it until the last minute. 

The answers to the (planted) scouting question suggest there is virtually nothing happening in Scotland (staff doing informal scouting), and only very recent efforts to scout in England - Caldwell struggled to give any details of this.    He seems to be a bit of a nerd on player information and I was surprised to hear him say he wasn't concerned with skills but valued attitude.  Overall he seemed very focussed on quite petty detail, but a bit weak on the bigger picture - nothing really on tactics or recruitment strategy.

Got to say he comes across very eloquent, but maybe he’s forgetting he’s at PTFC not Liverpool or Man City , think he’s overthinking things.

I’m glad Gary Caldwell wasn’t manager 10/15 years ago or I wouldn’t have seen Chic Charnley , Albert Craig , Alan Dinnie or Martin Hardie , pretty sure they wouldn’t fit Caldwell’s template for a football player but these guys could play .

As for promotion, you’re absolutely having a laugh , if we stay up this season that’s an achievement 

Have listened to this and I've gotta say I'm not the least bit more confident than I'd be if I'd given it a miss. My gut feeling is our survival this season will be mainly down to the personnel we already have on our books. Plus side, if those fellas are motivated and played in a sensible formation we should easily avoid the lower league play offs. Minus side. I've little confidence in the present management achieving that. I also worry that the personnel changes this month coming  will be too little too late.. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to say he comes across very eloquent, but maybe he’s forgetting he’s at PTFC not Liverpool or Man City , think he’s overthinking things.

I’m glad Gary Caldwell wasn’t manager 10/15 years ago or I wouldn’t have seen Chic Charnley , Albert Craig , Alan Dinnie or Martin Hardie , pretty sure they wouldn’t fit Caldwell’s template for a football player but these guys could play .

As for promotion, you’re absolutely having a laugh , if we stay up this season that’s an achievement 

He probably thinks he should be managing Liverpool or Man City. Don't think we will talk about any of the players Caldwell signs with the same fondness as the 4 players you have mentioned.Great players and characters. They also played in successful teams.

WhatsApp groups and spreadsheets! Where's the passion? The personality, character, pride?

'Good week in training', fitness up 10%. Look up from the screen, Gary. Check the 'Goals For' and 'Points' columns instead.

Everyone at the club knows that the fans are despondent yet this is their response. If only we had a PR guru on hand.

• Like 2

Found the interview very awkward.   It was like a kid who had failed all his exams getting interviewed in front of his mum and being forced to explain how he was going to do better.

If we got one shot on target tomorrow for every minute of that interview, that would give me more hope than anything said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, king of spain said:

What I don’t get is you can cost up transfers etc all you want and have it agreed but at the end of the day what players of any calibre wants to join a team 9th in the championship?

You spend all that time coming up with a list of players - whom you presumably totally believe are the right ones. Then a team release a player and you think “ahhh we will go for him instead”. 

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

If we win our next seven games on the trot and Ross County lose all of their next seven games, we still won't overtake them.

Yet "promotion" is our aim this season?

:wacko2:

We only need to reach 4th place come May to keep the promotion dream alive...

10 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

WhatsApp groups and spreadsheets! Where's the passion? The personality, character, pride?

'Good week in training', fitness up 10%. Look up from the screen, Gary. Check the 'Goals For' and 'Points' columns instead.

Everyone at the club knows that the fans are despondent yet this is their response. If only we had a PR guru on hand.

Funnily enough that is the characteristics Caldwell is looking for primarily in any new signings. I actually agree with him on this. Footballing wise there isn’t a lot of difference on the park. We miss leadership and have players not stepping up to the mark. Here’s hoping Santa got his list :lol:

14 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I think those players probably would make it, as they were all battlers.