Caldwell and Low update from PTFC

westertonjagfan

I agree with GRE that bringing back someone who had already been sacked would be strange and desperate looking. However these are desperate times. It's not a good option but it might be better than anything else available. I'm pretty certain Caldwell would take us down. 

What a mess

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

There is no chance Caldwell will be sacked just now , one reason is the financial aspect  , the second reason is they won’t admit they’ve made a mistake  in appointing Caldwell .

Worrying times ahead 

At what point do you admit you’ve made a mistake? If not now then at the end of Jan? Feb ? Or when it’s too late... I think he’s realistically got those 3 home games in Jan to deliver some victories. If not the board cannot escape their responsibility to admit their mistake and sack him. Otherwise it’s pride before a fall into the third tier.

I can’t really see Caldwell turning this around, and if so I can’t see Low surviving it either. Well she might survive in a T. May like manner.

January has to be judgement month.

Archibald got us into this mess in the first place. No way he (or his assistant) should be brought back. Britton has had his chance with the team, and we all remember what a disaster that was. 

There’s no doubt that we are in the sh*t and with the BoD unlikely to admit they’ve made a mistake with Caldwell, I fear we are stuck with him until such time that it is mathematically impossible for us to achieve 4th place which still keeps the promotion dream alive.

Edited by Big Col
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, allyo said:

I agree with GRE that bringing back someone who had already been sacked would be strange and desperate looking. However these are desperate times. It's not a good option but it might be better than anything else available. I'm pretty certain Caldwell would take us down. 

What a mess

It's most likely academic anyway as jlsarmy is probably accurate in his assessment. What I'm saying  is we're at the stage of the season where there's little to no chance of appointing the next permanent manager. I feel appointing an interim manager would be better than the status quo. Whoever that is should really know the players and that's why I included Paterson. Apart from Shaggy I can only think of Dools, Allison & Britton that would fit the bill. Kinda Hobson's choice I know but I'm at the stage where I'd rather see young Callum Wilson managing us than continue with the Spreadsheet Maestro.

• Like 1

I've never before considered us to have much in common with Manchester United; but please bear with me while I make a comparison. 

They've punted Mourinho and seen an instant improvement. I reckon that had less to so with appointing Solskjaer and more to do with removing a manager who was having a negative impact on his players. 

I believe we could be in a similar situation. I'm not suggesting we'd start scoring four goals a game, but I do think our players are capable of much more. 

Of course, I am completely naive in the workings of a football team, so may be talking absolute psh 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, allyo said:

I've never before considered us to have much in common with Manchester United; but please bear with me while I make a comparison. 

They've punted Mourinho and seen an instant improvement. I reckon that had less to so with appointing Solskjaer and more to do with removing a manager who was having a negative impact on his players. 

I believe we could be in a similar situation. I'm not suggesting we'd start scoring four goals a game, but I do think our players are capable of much more. 

Of course, I am completely naive in the workings of a football team, so may be talking absolute psh 

There may be an element of truth in what you say but our squad is shit

14 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Let's cut to the chase LIB.

If the club were to sack Gary Caldwell and appoint a temporary manager and you're for having Scott Paterson in the mix, the logical conclusion would be to bring back Archie as well?

I don't know if this is where you're going with this, but let's explore it anyway.

Although it's debatable, let's accept for the minute, that it's a "pipe dream" to bring in a new manager and strengthen the current squad during the transfer window.

We are currently paying for two sets of managers.

The question has to be who would have a better chance of keeping us up. Gary Caldwell or Alan Archibald?

My money would be on Archie every single time.

However, Archie & Shaggy are proud men. For there to be a cat in hell's chance of them coming back, Jacqui Low, Gerry Britton and all of us supporters that agreed with the sacking (which was most of us), would have to do some major grovelling and begging for them to even consider coming back.

So basically the plan is; we sack Gary Caldwell, bring back Archie & Shaggy to the end of the season and hope for the best.

It's an option. It's not my preferred option, but under these desperate circumstances, it's an option nonetheless :)

Considering Archie and Paterson have played their part in the last shambolic 18 months I would prefer they didn’t come back as manager and assistant 

16 minutes ago, allyo said:

Having watched the Sunderland documentary on Netflix last night I would say we have more in common with them last year.

Their scouting approach looked very basic for a club of their size, their initial managerial appointment (Grayson) post relegation was a poor fit, some players on large contracts, a chairman that wasn't interested and a CEO (Martin Bain) looked like he had been hired to cut costs. In January they struggled to get players in as the club looked unstable. Another relegation was largely unavoidable even despite the early success of Coleman.

I don't think we have a chairman not interested nor a CEO needing to assest strip but ours do look out of their depth. Our manager is at best a poor fit, I think we're starting to see in this window that players don't want to come to us as we are being viewed as being unstable. Another relegation for us looks entirely possible.

• Like 3

Plenty of charlatan managers have also contrived to not get relegated at this level.

The target we have to meet is to finish 8th. Nothing more. Overtake a part-time Alloa side and stay ahead of what Falkirk fans describe as their worst ever team. Despite the bullshit eminating from the club, Caldwell will know this and that he is scrambling to save his career.

In all likelihood it would be worse to sack him right now as it would completely disrupt the chance to bring in any players in the transfer window. He is homing in on the worst Thistle managerial record of all time, however (Gerry Collins was at a higher level). 

If things aren't better in the next 4-5 games maximum, he should be sacked. The Thistle support should be vocal and demonstrative in this. There has to be accountability at the club for the shambles we have been humiliated with this season. We may then only be in a position to have Doolan or another as caretaker manager to end of season, but it's another desperate step which could save us.

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

He had offers from Ayr and Hearts but due to loyalty, terms and reassurances given by both Caldwell and the board he opted to stay. 

Just making the point that you said he would be away when infact ther were only other offers in for him so false information

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

Plenty of charlatan managers have also contrived to not get relegated at this level.

The target we have to meet is to finish 8th. Nothing more. Overtake a part-time Alloa side and stay ahead of what Falkirk fans describe as their worst ever team. Despite the bullshit eminating from the club, Caldwell will know this and that he is scrambling to save his career.

In all likelihood it would be worse to sack him right now as it would completely disrupt the chance to bring in any players in the transfer window. He is homing in on the worst Thistle managerial record of all time, however (Gerry Collins was at a higher level). 

If things aren't better in the next 4-5 games maximum, he should be sacked. The Thistle support should be vocal and demonstrative in this. There has to be accountability at the club for the shambles we have been humiliated with this season. We may then only be in a position to have Doolan or another as caretaker manager to end of season, but it's another desperate step which could save us.

Just heard that Falkirk have signed Abdul Osman till the end of the season, don’t know if in a relegation fight I would back my team against a team who have Paton , Muirhead and now Osman within their ranks . 

Think if Caldwell does stay on , it’s experienced players we need to try and get out of this , and if by the end of January it hasn’t worked  out , I would get Stephen Craigan as interim manager till the end of the season.

He’s stepped down from Motherwell , would be available,he’s got a good connection with PTFC and I think the supporters and fans would embrace that .

He couldn’t do any worse than Caldwell 

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Just heard that Falkirk have signed Abdul Osman till the end of the season, don’t know if in a relegation fight I would back my team against a team who have Paton , Muirhead and now Osman within their ranks . 

Think if Caldwell does stay on , it’s experienced players we need to try and get out of this , and if by the end of January it hasn’t worked  out , I would get Stephen Craigan as interim manager till the end of the season.

He’s stepped down from Motherwell , would be available,he’s got a good connection with PTFC and I think the supporters and fans would embrace that .

He couldn’t do any worse than Caldwell 

I’d also have Craigan before Archie and Paterson back, or an erskine and Doolan partnership 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Paton and Muirhead were two of our best players in promotion season.  And Abdul a key player in the Premier. They all seem to have lost their way a bit, or just aged, but I wouldn't write them off as useless. 

Also signed Paul Dixon who should still be a decent LB at this level with his experience.

Falkirk are the worst team in this league quite clearly, they've been awful, but they have a capable manager who is making signings that will definitely improve them. I do not expect them to finish bottom of the league after they are finished changing their squad.

This is no way a reflection on Thistle, just an observation of Falkirk who will improve. We have to more than match their recruitment.

5 hours ago, allyo said:

This is what we were hoping when we brought in Caldwell.

6 hours ago, allyo said:

Partick Thistle sack Gary Caldwell and emulate Manchester United by bringing back a popular free scoring forward from yesteryear to manage the team and brighten up the dressing room. You heard it first from me. For Molde read Queen’s Park. Yes, Mark Roberts is on his way to Firhill.

He even has experience of sneaking a distinctly dodgy Thistle squad to an unlikely promotion via the play offs.

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Considering Archie and Paterson have played their part in the last shambolic 18 months I would prefer they didn’t come back as manager and assistant 

Is anybody anywhere on here suggesting they should? Or are you just being completely random? 

Btw with a bit of goodwill Derek Whyte could be persuaded to return.

I honestly don’t think that they will do anything till it is mathematically impossible for us to finish 4th. And even then, I have my doubts he will get sacked. Long term rebuilding exercise , needs the chance to bring in his own players and move on others blah blah blah.