Caldwell and Low update from PTFC

westertonjagfan

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Even if McCall considered a move - I doubt very much he would be prepared to work with some of the current Board Members - its fair to say Thistle are unfinished business for him - but no chance he will move unless there was radical change - personal relationships at a Club are important to him - hence is Loyalty to the Ayr Chairman - it took Dundee Utd four attempts too get him to move from Falkirk 

Fair points, Jim. And that's one of the attractions of Ian McCall, in my opinion. 

From a particularly reliable source, though, he's said clearly that he would come back to us now if he's asked.  Previously, a few months ago, he wouldn't take what was Archie's job through loyalty to his mate.  In my opinion, we're in a crisis situation which requires urgent action: without trying to dramatise things, we're in freefall, football-wise. I'm terrified we're going the way Campbell took us. Suitable management alternatives aren't exactly jumping out at us, but in McCall we've got a manager with a proven record of stopping the decline, and popular with the fans. 

Our number one priority has to be still playing Championship football in the second half of 2019, so that we can make a push for a return to the Premier the following year. We're in grave danger of failing in that task, still thinking we can get promoted. That's nuts - we're not going up. We need to bite the bullet now and sack Caldwell, and get on the phone to Ian McCall before things get too desperate. There is no alternative, in my opinion. 

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Just to put it in context, mid-table in this league is likely to be around 48 points. To achieve this we would require 34 points from 17 games, equivalent to 9 wins, 7 draws and 1 defeat. 

Anyone fancy our chances? That's the mess we're in. 

Two points per game seems a tall order at the moment.

TJR, in the excellent Stats Watch thread, has broken down our managerial achievements. I wonder if any of our managers has ever achieved 34 points from a 17 game spell? If any, I would put money on Archibald.

First target is to stay above Falkirk. Second, catch Alloa. That's as far as my hopes take me just now.

1 hour ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Fair points, Jim. And that's one of the attractions of Ian McCall, in my opinion. 

From a particularly reliable source, though, he's said clearly that he would come back to us now if he's asked.  Previously, a few months ago, he wouldn't take what was Archie's job through loyalty to his mate.  In my opinion, we're in a crisis situation which requires urgent action: without trying to dramatise things, we're in freefall, football-wise. I'm terrified we're going the way Campbell took us. Suitable management alternatives aren't exactly jumping out at us, but in McCall we've got a manager with a proven record of stopping the decline, and popular with the fans. 

Our number one priority has to be still playing Championship football in the second half of 2019, so that we can make a push for a return to the Premier the following year. We're in grave danger of failing in that task, still thinking we can get promoted. That's nuts - we're not going up. We need to bite the bullet now and sack Caldwell, and get on the phone to Ian McCall before things get too desperate. There is no alternative, in my opinion. 

I agree BJ but I worked closely with Colly - and he wouldnt jump ship as relationships with the people he is working with is a big part of his DNA and I just dont see him moving under our current set up - plus he is loyal to Ayr for giving him a second chance 

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I agree BJ but I worked closely with Colly - and he wouldnt jump ship as relationships with the people he is working with is a big part of his DNA and I just dont see him moving under our current set up - plus he is loyal to Ayr for giving him a second chance 

Cheers, Jim.

11 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Even if McCall considered a move - I doubt very much he would be prepared to work with some of the current Board Members - its fair to say Thistle are unfinished business for him - but no chance he will move unless there was radical change - personal relationships at a Club are important to him - hence is Loyalty to the Ayr Chairman - it took Dundee Utd four attempts too get him to move from Falkirk 

Presumably you have some knowledge that McCall doesn’t get on with some current board members ?

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Reckon Archibald got 38 points from 16 championship games, which was incredible (particularly as any dropped points were getting us over the line, or after the title had been sealed).

A draw in his first premier game would take us to 39 in 17.

Alan Archibald of course inherited the outstanding squad of players of the last 15 years with a settled line-up and style of play.

His attempts to create a competitive squad of players for this season have shown he was utimately not a good manager.

17 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I would say more that I know the type of Board he is comfortable working with- and that he is close freinds with Archie 

I personally think that Ian McCall is a wily character who will do whatever suits him whenever it suits him.

I don't think Ayr will get promoted this season (overperforming with the likes of Kerr, Adams and McDaid, which is pretty impressive), which will probably be their only chance in a generation and then their better players, including Shankland, will be sold. It's possible he will decide he wants back to Thistle.

The comment he made saying he would definitely take the job if he was approached was two weeks ago. He wasn't equivocal about his desire to come back to Firhill and wasn't pished or anything. 

I think we need to get him back pronto. I don't doubt for a minute his loyalty and gratitude to Ayr, but he wants us and we NEED him. I don't care what it takes to make it happen, but it's not much, I'm very reliably informed. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

The comment he made saying he would definitely take the job if he was approached was two weeks ago. He wasn't equivocal about his desire to come back to Firhill and wasn't pished or anything

I think we need to get him back pronto. I don't doubt for a minute his loyalty and gratitude to Ayr, but he wants us and we NEED him. I don't care what it takes to make it happen, but it's not much, I'm very reliably informed. 

"wasn't pished or anything" like you would have to be pished to say such a thing, either pished, certifiable, or perhaps both :)

Totally agree that we are in crisis and that change has to come now.

I would happily have either Jim Goodwin or Ian McCall as our manager. I wouldn't split too many hairs about it, just get one or the other of them hired, asap.

Edited by AndyMac

3 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Think you’re 100 % right , sure he was sounded out before Caldwell got the job only to decline the offer , think he spoke to Falkirk before Ray McKinnon got the job , also think Ayr United will be looking to be compensated if they lose their manager which could be a problem.

I’d be surprised to see him at Firhill any time soon

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

Alan Archibald of course inherited the outstanding squad of players of the last 15 years with a settled line-up and style of play.

His attempts to create a competitive squad of players for this season have shown he was utimately not a good manager.

Whether he was a "good" manager will always be debatable. What is not is that he was a successful manager for four and a half seasons. 

I think to try to deny him credit for that is pretty harsh. Particularly considering Thistle were 8 points behind Morton when he faced them at Cappilow on his first game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

If I was given the choice I would go for Goodwin. But sadly, the board won't sack Caldwell any time soon 

Unfortunately I think it comes down to finances , paying up Archie’s and Shaggys contracts and Caldwell’s. as well would make a huge dent in the accounts but that’s got to be weighed up if there is a possibility of relegation and the consequences that would bring and also the loss of revenue which is a major factor .

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The shareholding is structured that no one person can pwn the Club outright ? Plus majority of shareholders arent interested in selling ? 

Anything in this world can be bought after a bit of negotiating and acceptable terms been agreed.  Shareholding structures and folk not interested in selling etc would soon be history at the right price. Money talks.

Edited by mulguy jag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Whatever we do, whoever we can approach over the next few weeks is going to be crucial. It’s clear to me now that Caldwell is likely to take us down. 

Relegation will set us back years, we simply cannot allow that to happen.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Whether he was a "good" manager will always be debatable. What is not is that he was a successful manager for four and a half seasons. 

I think to try to deny him credit for that is pretty harsh. Particularly considering Thistle were 8 points behind Morton when he faced them at Cappilow on his first game. 

Agree with both these post's. Ran out of likes again. Asked Santa for more likes but he couldn't have got my letter.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

Agree with you. We did have 3 games in hand and the Cowdenbeath fog machine to help us.:thumbsup: