Dundee United vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. This is only a good point if go on a run of undefeated games. By that I mean winning some games . I feel we have now reached the point where draws at home , particularly against the team/s just above us are no use.We really need to win next week or we can forget even play off to stave off relegation. Lets not lose sight of the fact that Caldwell was brought in to get us promoted or at the very least a promotion challenge.

I think it is time to lose sight of that.

There's no point in judging him, or the team, against what is now an unrealistic target. If we can somehow get out of the season in the same league I'll be very happy, the remainder of the season will have been an unexpected success, and we can hopefully look to better things.

But I'm not confident.

3 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think it is time to lose sight of that.

There's no point in judging him, or the team, against what is now an unrealistic target. If we can somehow get out of the season in the same league I'll be very happy, the remainder of the season will have been an unexpected success, and we can hopefully look to better things.

But I'm not confident.

I agree with you. But if we do stay in this league I can see Caldwell and Low, saying something  along the lines of, Caldwell saved us from relegation. When in reality he was brought in to at least challenge for promotion. If not there was no point in sacking our previous management team. Unless they lead us to the very precarious position we now find ourselves in.

• Like 1

Really good first half with Bannigan and Harkins dominating midfield.  Well taken goal by Doolan - had plenty of time to pick his spot with the header.  Storey played well and managed a good strike that the goalie did well to stop.  The second half was completely different.  Harkins tired quickly and Storey reverted to type with ineffectual finishes to his runs, at least 4 or 5 crosses badly overhit between him and Elliott (who played OK)  The central defence still looks decidedly shaky, but it was Saunders'  first game so maybe needs to bed in a bit.  A lot more energy about the team compared to the same fixture under Archibald, but they still make far too many simple mistakes, and some lack confidence to get past a player, so the momentum of the moves stalls. 

12 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Really good first half with Bannigan and Harkins dominating midfield.  Well taken goal by Doolan - had plenty of time to pick his spot with the header.  Storey played well and managed a good strike that the goalie did well to stop.  The second half was completely different.  Harkins tired quickly and Storey reverted to type with ineffectual finishes to his runs, at least 4 or 5 crosses badly overhit between him and Elliott (who played OK)  The central defence still looks decidedly shaky, but it was Saunders'  first game so maybe needs to bed in a bit.  A lot more energy about the team compared to the same fixture under Archibald, but they still make far too many simple mistakes, and some lack confidence to get past a player, so the momentum of the moves stalls. 

Thanks eljaggo, much like what the Radio Scotland commentary team said. According to them Storey was outstanding in the first half, but wasted good attacking chances in the second.

Storey to me plays better with players he can make short passes to - he did this well in the first half with Elliott and Penrice offering options.  He is crap at crossing, which you would think is something he could improve with practice.  The penalty looked soft, with the defender (not sure who) getting the ball fairly cleanly.  Beatson blew immediately with no pause for reflection, which is against best practice for refs.  The BBC said I believe, that no Thistle players protested.  That is untrue.  Robbie Neilson is a delusional arse judging by his post match BBC comments.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I agree with you. But if we do stay in this league I can see Caldwell and Low, saying something  along the lines of, Caldwell saved us from relegation. When in reality he was brought in to at least challenge for promotion. If not there was no point in sacking our previous management team. Unless they lead us to the very precarious position we now find ourselves in.

Fair enough. I really hope that's our biggest concern in the summer.

I was far more confident at this time last year of staying up than I am now. I really can't see it.

21 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Storey to me plays better with players he can make short passes to - he did this well in the first half with Elliott and Penrice offering options.  He is crap at crossing, which you would think is something he could improve with practice.  The penalty looked soft, with the defender (not sure who) getting the ball fairly cleanly.  Beatson blew immediately with no pause for reflection, which is against best practice for refs.  The BBC said I believe, that no Thistle players protested.  That is untrue.  Robbie Neilson is a delusional arse judging by his post match BBC comments.

Bobby Madden was the budget in the middle.

McGinty made the challenge.

40 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I was surprised that after Madden (I'm a quick learner) awarded the penaly he reacted by turning and speaking quite forcibly to the Jags fans who were not too happy.

A few of us noticed that too, just inflamed the situation even more (from what looked like a really soft award) and came across as completely unprofessional.

3 hours ago, allyo said:

A draw's not a terrible result in itself, but we're now stuck in a league of three which we probably have to win to avoid relegation. And we're a starting from the back. So we absolutely cannot afford to drop points in games that we go ahead in and are outplaying the opposition. It's just a luxury that we no longer have. 

Think we’ve got a chance if Caldwell sticks to a 4 at the back , think we definitely got an improved performance today because he changed his preferred shape of the team .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Think we’ve got a chance if Caldwell sticks to a 4 at the back , think we definitely got an improved performance today because he changed his preferred shape of the team .

Agree, but I feel we need a tackler in defensive midfield. Harkins played in that role today and it worked fine when we were on the ball. Hopefully we'll bring someone in this month to fill that role. I suppose the flip side to that is added creativity by having an extra ball player in midfield but kinda high risk.

I wasn't at the game and only heard snippets of it on the radio. Nevertheless, listening to what has been said, from the pundits and supporters at the game, by all accounts it was a pretty positive performance. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and not just a flash in the pan.

A point away from home against Dundee Utd was more than anyone was expecting before the match. So credit to Gary Caldwell, the team and all the supporters that made effort to attend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

I wasn't at the game and only heard snippets of it on the radio. Nevertheless, listening to what has been said, from the pundits and supporters at the game, by all accounts it was a pretty positive performance. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and not just a flash in the pan.

A point away from home against Dundee Utd was more than anyone was expecting before the match. So credit to Gary Caldwell, the team and all the supporters that made effort to attend.

Well said sir. No matter the diverse opinions on here everyone wants the team to succeed. We will no matter how long it takes. And when we do it will be sweet....

• Like 1

With our typical inability to hold on to a lead when we occasionally go in front, our generally pathetic attacks that end up with a useless final ball, our truly pathetic (especially central) defence, and the increasing likelihood that referees will feel we're going down anywyat and so will readily compound the misery with decisions like the one yesterday.....unfortunately, this Thistle team looks dead certs for relegation. Seen it happen before, too many times.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

With our typical inability to hold on to a lead when we occasionally go in front, our generally pathetic attacks that end up with a useless final ball, our truly pathetic (especially central) defence, and the increasing likelihood that referees will feel we're going down anywyat and so will readily compound the misery with decisions like the one yesterday.....unfortunately, this Thistle team looks dead certs for relegation. Seen it happen before, too many times.

We had 8 shots on target yesterday, 1 hitting the back of the net with 3 or being stopped by great saves.

They had 4 including the penalty.

There keeper was a bigger say in the result than our recent inability to get shots away or on target

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

We played really well in the first half yesterday, and I don't recognise your description or share your view.  We were good when on the front foot, but the defence is decidedly shaky when pressed.  My concern is that Caldwell was unable to alter our tactics to counter United's surge.   Partly that was because he had to make subs because of lack of fitness (or age), which may have hampered tactical options.  With a strengthened central defence from transfers the situation might not be as dire as you think.  Who Caldwell brings in to bolster the defence will be critical.

Edited by eljaggo

just watched the highlights on jagzone

what happened to the team in the second half

lost their shape and second to most 50/50 

as others have posted our midfield is too lightweight

ok going forward but when the opposition come at us we have nobody there breaking up play

dont think harkins is the answer in that position

13 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I was surprised that after Madden (I'm a quick learner) awarded the penaly he reacted by turning and speaking quite forcibly to the Jags fans who were not too happy.

Looks a pen to me on highlights. McGinty is a liability and needs replaced. Can't get my head around the Ref having a go at supporters after the award. If that's true it is completely unprofessional. 

Does anyone know exactly what he said? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Looks a pen to me on highlights. McGinty is a liability and needs replaced. Can't get my head around the Ref having a go at supporters after the award. If that's true it is completely unprofessional. 

Does anyone know exactly what he said? 

McGinty another of Archie’s duds 

• Like 1