Falkirk game

dl1971

37 minutes ago, Graysie said:

Spot on summary. Dallas was mince but so was Harkins and he should have been hooked off before he was sent off. Then when he was and Falkirk scored, GC was clueless and faffed about before making any changes. Doolan has been a great servant but how can GC not see that he is done or at least should just be used from the bench.  Thought Slater and Penruce were poor,  Saunders looked good and Elliot is playing better and should be getting credit considering the stick he got earlier in the season. There is hope, but it's running out fast and GC is not the answer. Look at the jobs Goodwin and Naysmith are doing in this Division with limited resources. We are seriously in the soup. 

30 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s not how things have went at all , disagreement last Tuesday at Training when Chris Erskine was told he would be used sparingly and if he wanted to find another Club he was free to do so. Is that not kind of being forced out ?

Only my opinion, but it’s to free up a wage because nobody else wants the deadwood within the Club , Brice , Mtumbo, Lennox , Keown etc and the Board either don’t have the funds to pay them off or are waiting for other clubs to come in for them which I doubt will happen.

Bell has been told he can go too - not sure anyone will want him either 

He can blame the ref all he wants. But we didn’t win today because we didn’t score goals. And we didn’t score goals because we didn’t create chances. And that lies purely with the players and the manager.

The Falkirk keeper didn’t have a save to make today. We scored with our only shot on target and I reckon we only had 3 other attempts at goal all of which were off target. Pathetic.

Caldwell is taking us to League 1 and we’re going down with a whimper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

The biggest critics of today's performance appear to be those who weren't in attendance...

I was at today’s game and it was utterly brutal. 

Meaningless sideways possession with no final pass. We had two shots on target for Christ sake. Caldwell might view the possession stats as meaningful indicators but they aren’t, we didn’t do enough to win and got exactly what we deserved.

Harkins deserved to be sent off, we can have no complaints there. But he should never have been put in that position. He was off the pace the entire match and asking him to play sitting midfield whilst on a booking was a recipe for disaster. The guy has a lot to offer but he can’t move, tackle or defend. We saw him a decade ago and we know he can’t do these things so why are we asking him to now? Atrocious management and if Caldwell is blaming the referee for the result it just shows how utterly desperate he is to deflect his inadequacies as a football manager. 

When are people going to wake up? We are bottom of the league. Caldwell has taken us there. Grasp on to the “the ref cheated us” or the “we dominated possession” excuses that Caldwell puts forward all you like. But we are heading one way and that’s to League One. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

6 minutes ago, Big Col said:

He can blame the ref all he wants. But we didn’t win today because we didn’t score goals. And we didn’t score goals because we didn’t create chances. And that lies purely with the players and the manager.

The Falkirk keeper didn’t have a save to make today. We scored with our only shot on target and I reckon we only had 3 other attempts at goal all of which were off target. Pathetic.

Caldwell is taking us to League 1 and we’re going down with a whimper.

You’re right , we’ve got 1 more home league fixture in January and we’ve only 1 home game in February, not looking great 

12 minutes ago, ThistleBunnet said:

Walking to my car after game listening to a bunch of falkirk fans behind me. Typical quotes from them

" feel sorry for thistle they played so well"

"You can see so much quality in their team"

"Don't understand how they're bottom"

Must have been at a different game from me. I thought we were poor first half , improved second half. Didn't think we had any players who looked quality and I would say it is obvious why we are bottom.

47 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

To be honest I’ve been very ill for a large part of the last 2/3 months and have actually managed to see only the Morton game at Firhill. Listening to the games on the Jagzone is only slightly less painful than being patronised by the likes of Chick Dung and co.

Probably, because Michael and Christopher are Jags first and foremost their pain diffuses to us slightly quicker than the usual inanity from Pacific Quay etc. I honestly couldn’t listen to the entire 90 minutes for fear of losing what little sanity I have.

In my over forty years of supporting Thistle I can almost smell the script of failure so clearly that I don’t have to actually see it. And I make no claim whatsoever for some kind of gift of clairvoyance when I say a Muppet could have predicted just how that game would go.

Thistle dominate possession and can’t convert this into goals- goodness the script was written in big red and  yellow letters for anyone , but apparently GC to see. The minute Harkins was booked I was shouting at my iPad for him to be hooked. Unfortunately, my tablet isn’t our manager and the game unravelled as most of us should have expected.

Where do we only to from here to totally I haven’t a fcuking clue, but where I to be totally honest only an optimist would be confident that we’ll be playing Championship football next season.

Sorry to hear you have been ill mate I hope your better soon

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

To be honest I’ve been very ill for a large part of the last 2/3 months and have actually managed to see only the Morton game at Firhill. Listening to the games on the Jagzone is only slightly less painful than being patronised by the likes of Chick Dung and co.

Probably, because Michael and Christopher are Jags first and foremost their pain diffuses to us slightly quicker than the usual inanity from Pacific Quay etc. I honestly couldn’t listen to the entire 90 minutes for fear of losing what little sanity I have.

In my over forty years of supporting Thistle I can almost smell the script of failure so clearly that I don’t have to actually see it. And I make no claim whatsoever for some kind of gift of clairvoyance when I say a Muppet could have predicted just how that game would go.

Thistle dominate possession and can’t convert this into goals- goodness the script was written in big red and  yellow letters for anyone , but apparently GC to see. The minute Harkins was booked I was shouting at my iPad for him to be hooked. Unfortunately, my tablet isn’t our manager and the game unravelled as most of us should have expected.

Where do we only to from here to totally I haven’t a fcuking clue, but where I to be totally honest only an optimist would be confident that we’ll be playing Championship football next season.

Sorry to hear you have been ill. Hope you get back to Firhill soon, although that might set you back again.:fan:

Poor game but we edged it and should have won .

Excellent team goal (which included plenty of that pointless possession and negative sideways and backwards passing people seem to hate).

Definite penalty for barge on Slater. Never a sending off. However, clearly we can't blame the ref, obviously the manager was a fault for those decisions.

• Like 1

That was a terribly hard watch, strange to think they could play worse than the Morton game, but they managed that.

Both teams struggled with the ball skidding on the greasy surface and I think the surface had a bit to do with the poor tackles that gave us a flurry of yellow cards early on. The referee is the worst I have seen this season, by a long way, missed many fouls that deserved cards, and then over compensated when he realised he had missed a booking, just a poor referee having a bad day. Harkins played well but he is a bit too slow to be playing in the position he was asked to, the second yellow was soft, but at his age he should have known better.

As a team we are playing with little confidence and the Falkirk attacks seemed to produce a certain degree of panic in our defences … and ball watching seem  to have become our latest problem [to add to all the others]

Thing is PT are not a bad team individually, but they now appear to be just that …. a group of individuals wearing the same coloured shirts.

I don't want to sound downbeat, but now I am seriously worried, if we drop down another league I fear for our long term future.

A poor game with two poor sides and an over-officious official.  Surprise to read a poster saying that Bannigan ran the game. Yes, he made himself available in left midfield, but his passes were too often square to the right side and he made too few incisive forward passes.  McGinty I thought had a good game and Harkins was effective up until half time.  Too many passes to the wings were played behind and not in front of the player, and passes were often hit too softly, all of which stalled moves.  Unsure about the penalty claim, but the Harkins second yellow was soft but predictable.

Caldwell gave an abysmal interview to the BBC, in which he was almost monosyllabic and was downright rude to the interviewer.

4 minutes ago, Jag said:

Poor game but we edged it and should have won .

Excellent team goal (which included plenty of that pointless possession and negative sideways and backwards passing people seem to hate).

Definite penalty for barge on Slater. Never a sending off. However, clearly we can't blame the ref, obviously the manager was a fault for those decisions.

I’m sorry but a) it wasn’t a penalty and b) it was a sending off. The manager isn’t to blame for the sending off (it was Harkins’ fault) but playing a slow, cumbersome number 10 (which is what he is) in defensive midfield whilst on a booking is a terrible decision.

The referee was not to blame for us not winning today and Caldwell’s attempts to deflect need to be treated with derision. Cannot believe folk are still being snidey about people rightly pointing out the utterly shambolic mess Caldwell has taken us into. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Sorry to hear you have been ill mate I hope your better soon

Posting from my phone in the pub so hope this comes over ok. Can I just echo TL's sentiment.

Re the game itself I thought Harkins let us down by picking up a 2nd yellow in an area of the field where a guy of his experience shouldn't have given the idiot ref a decision to make. Also I reckon 6 or 7minutes elapsed before Caldwell made a sub. In other words we played on with 2 up front far too long. There's no justification in doing that whatsoever especially as Dools & Storey have virtually nothing to offer defensively.

Heard Caldwell's Radio Scotland interview and was even more embarrassing than last week's. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Time for a change up front for next week's cup tie.  Doolan was invisible today, and since the league has to be our priority, we need to experiment before the next league game in two weeks.  Roy should start alongside Erskine, with Doolan and Storey benched.  We have to have more movement in the middle of the pitch, and neither Doolan nor Storey provide that.

2 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Time for a change up front for next week's cup tie.  Doolan was invisible today, and since the league has to be our priority, we need to experiment before the next league game in two weeks.  Roy should start alongside Erskine, with Doolan and Storey benched.  We have to have more movement in the middle of the pitch, and neither Doolan nor Storey provide that.

Doolan is a legend and you can't have a go at legends.