Falkirk game

dl1971

I'm living away from Glasgow now and haven't seen us this season so I've probably no right to comment. However, I read this forum several times a day and one thing is clear, this is so dire and it's showing little chance of turning. We're going run out of games. If he doesn't win the next two games and in particular the QoS game he needs to go. The board will drag their heels because of the financial implications so the only option is a noisy protest outside Firhill to wake them up. Even then I'm not confident of change but the scary thing is the feeling of helplessness as we slip towards what could be years in the third tier. 

The only facts that matter are wins.

When we don't win it needs to be the number of attempts on target.

None of that is happening.

Over the years I've seen miraculous escapes by the likes of Bertie Auld and John Lambie. In 4 weeks with time ticking is Caldwell going turn us round? Those guys knew what they were doing.

If i performed like he's done against key metrics in the first few month of a new job id be exited by failing a probation.

We need someone to come in and give the team a lift and the fans hope.

When people give up and stop caring that's when real decay sets in and right now everyone is very despondent and feeling helpless. 

He needs to go.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m sorry but a) it wasn’t a penalty and b) it was a sending off. The manager isn’t to blame for the sending off (it was Harkins’ fault) but playing a slow, cumbersome number 10 (which is what he is) in defensive midfield whilst on a booking is a terrible decision.

The referee was not to blame for us not winning today and Caldwell’s attempts to deflect need to be treated with derision. Cannot believe folk are still being snidey about people rightly pointing out the utterly shambolic mess Caldwell has taken us into. 

Agree to a point. I thought with both Harkins and Bannigan booked we should have subbed one of them.

7 minutes ago, Hankey said:

One thing I do like about Gary is he slaughtered the ref.

Archie never had the stones to give them the stick they deserve. 

He did that to deflect attention away from his  terrible record as manager. 1 win out of 12 an average of 1/2 point per game. Let that continue and we will end up with 23 points. The same as Alloa have just now. He has to go. 

43 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I’m sorry but a) it wasn’t a penalty and b) it was a sending off. The manager isn’t to blame for the sending off (it was Harkins’ fault) but playing a slow, cumbersome number 10 (which is what he is) in defensive midfield whilst on a booking is a terrible decision.

The referee was not to blame for us not winning today and Caldwell’s attempts to deflect need to be treated with derision. Cannot believe folk are still being snidey about people rightly pointing out the utterly shambolic mess Caldwell has taken us into. 

Aye..,

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

He did that to deflect attention away from his  terrible record as manager. 1 win out of 12 an average of 1/2 point per game. Let that continue and we will end up with 23 points. The same as Alloa have just now. He has to go. 

I won't disagree about that in some ways, but that ref cost us. A single goal might have been enough at the end of the day if it weren't for that ******* idiot with a whistle. An extra player stops a cross or clears a shot and those two points might be precious. Not the first time either when he shat it against Celtic last year when Storey was fouled.

Edited by Hankey

5 minutes ago, Hankey said:

I won't disagree about that, but that ref cost us. A single goal might have been enough at the end of the day day if it weren't for that ******* idiot with a whistle. An extra player stops a cross or clears a shot and those two points might be precious. Not the first time either when he shat it against Celtic last year when Storey was fouled.

The ref wasn't good but Harkins gave him a decision to make and as I have said either him or Bannigan should have been subbed sooner.

The sending off is absolutely no defence of Caldwell. You take a guy who has never been a tackler, and put him in a defensive midfield  position in a game like that...see what happens. First yellow was definitely the right decision in my opinion. Second one I thought was harsh, but he was on a tightrope and it wasn't a great surprise.

Thought we played okay in parts but we never looked like scoring (I was surprised when we did), and when the other team attacks us we are hopelessly fragile. Other teams don't have to be better than us to score more goals than us. That's been the problem all season.

We have decent players. We have a completely rubbish team, massively underperforming. Guys like Bannigan, Doolan, Slater, Erskine, Elliott, Spittal should not be at the bottom of the Championship. Penrice was apparently a star in this league last season. I don't think I've ever really seen him playing a great game. 

We are also now very far behind. It's not a hopeless situation, but my own hope is very limited.

• Like 1

Keepthebaw said:

Was there tday and firstly couldn't believe the teamsheet, hav rarely scored or created with this frontline in 2 years, they sign 2 others, supposedly better than wat we've got,  but goes with the tried and tested failures and benches new guys , can't  fathem that 1, Harkins unability to run,and by Caldwell movin banzo to accommodate him, kills th midfield, some on here continue to moan about sideways and backward passes, but these guys dont hav any one forward to pass to, so they retain possession, no runs from forwards or midfielders, most teams remit is  get the ball wide, then cross to big guys who can actually challenge big centrebacks and hopefully score a goal or 2, we dont hav a big striker.. every player out there does wat Caldwell tells them, wether well or badly, Harkins is a luxury we dont need.. Mcginty done his job ok tday but cant win a high ball fr toffee and at 6'5" is unacceptable,  and cconstantly hoofs ball into no mans land or row Z.. Elliott played well, Spittal tried, Banzo best of bunch, even out of position but needs quality flare players to pass to, am fed up  cheerio

lets step back a wee bit and  look at the players we have in the squad

hazard  seems ok   better than the rest

elliott always gives 10% but will never be a right back

mcginty tries but should be punted

penrice  play him midfield  it worked when on loan at livi why can't the numpties see that( with all their powerpoints etc)

bannigan asset to  team 

slater as above

harkins should be punted

storey should be be an asset with better coaching 

spittal  skillful player but imo hasn't got the b*** to hack it 

erskine skillful player but hasn't really had enough time on the pitch this season to show his capabilities

doolan  play the ball to his feet, not 10 feet up in the air and watch him go

fitzpatrick a  talented young player but shouldn't be expected to work wonders 

caldwell should be punted

jacqui  hope you read this because we are in deep s***

am i right  ?

answers on a postcard  :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Surly the board must have been having meetings and our league position   has to be the only item on the agenda . Yet still no vote of confidence..I predict a final points total for the season of 26.. Get the road maps out for next season...See you all in Arbroath...

Edited by Jimmy McD

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Surly the board must have been having meetings and our league position top has to be the only item on the agenda . Yet still no vote of confidence..I predict a final points total for the season of 26.. Get the road maps out for next season...See you all in Arbroath...

Arbroath and a certain Dick Campbell will more than likely be in the Championship next season.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Surly the board must have been having meetings and our league position top has to be the only item on the agenda . Yet still no vote of confidence..I predict a final points total for the season of 26.. Get the road maps out for next season...See you all in Arbroath...

no i don't believe this will happen  the board will have to bite the bullet  and punt him

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

The sending off is absolutely no defence of Caldwell. You take a guy who has never been a tackler, and put him in a defensive midfield  position in a game like that...see what happens. First yellow was definitely the right decision in my opinion. Second one I thought was harsh, but he was on a tightrope and it wasn't a great surprise.

Thought we played okay in parts but we never looked like scoring (I was surprised when we did), and when the other team attacks us we are hopelessly fragile. Other teams don't have to be better than us to score more goals than us. That's been the problem all season.

We have decent players. We have a completely rubbish team, massively underperforming. Guys like Bannigan, Doolan, Slater, Erskine, Elliott, Spittal should not be at the bottom of the Championship. Penrice was apparently a star in this league last season. I don't think I've ever really seen him playing a great game. 

We are also now very far behind. It's not a hopeless situation, but my own hope is very limited.

As with most of your posts you call it absolutely spot on here, Allyo. Our players are not the worst in the league, yet Caldwell has them performing as such.

1 win in 12, and 6 points from 36. Completely indefensible. 

• Like 1

As things remain we will definitely be relegated, so Caldwell needs to be sacked asap. I can't see any logical reasons for expecting am improvement in results under his management.

As for the  BBC interview, I felt the questions were quite annoying at times and many of the questions were basically repeats of previous ones using different words. She even asked at one point " is the referee the reason you lost?" I'd have been curt with her aswell if I was the manager, and inclined to highlight that we didn't lose. Though it did feel like a loss.

Despite the hopeless results and likelihood of relegation, there is a slither of me that somehow feels sorry for Caldwell. It's entirely the fault of our board that we are in freefall and Caldwell (and the fans) should put out of our misery by sacking him. He's clearly out of his depth.

Caldwell’s interview predictably is all about the referee, the Falkirk dugout, and we didn’t commit a foul in the game....

no taking responsibility for us being bottom of the league, it just isn’t his fault you see.  Denial. Delusional. Take your pick but he’s taking us down. Utterly clueless. 

13 minutes ago, Chachi said:

As things remain we will definitely be relegated, so Caldwell needs to be sacked asap. I can't see any logical reasons for expecting am improvement in results under his management.

As for the  BBC interview, I felt the questions were quite annoying at times and many of the questions were basically repeats of previous ones using different words. She even asked at one point " is the referee the reason you lost?" I'd have been curt with her aswell if I was the manager, and inclined to highlight that we didn't lose. Though it did feel like a loss.

Despite the hopeless results and likelihood of relegation, there is a slither of me that somehow feels sorry for Caldwell. It's entirely the fault of our board that we are in freefall and Caldwell (and the fans) should put out of our misery by sacking him. He's clearly out of his depth.

Agree with most of what you say. But I in no way feel sorry for Caldwell. I take it he put himself forward as being able to get us promotion. I wouldn't trust him to get promotion from league 1, never mind this one we are in. The guy had a good half season when the board gave him loads of money to buy the league at Wigan. Apart from that he has been a failure. When he is no longer our manager I don't see any decent level team employing him as manager. But I don't care where he ends up after he has left us. What I do care about though is what state Thistle will be in. He has done us enough damage, get rid of him now.

Edited by Auld Jag

Why feel sorry for him? He’s the one who came in saying he’s analysed the squad and he had a plan to get up back up.

He’s bullshitted his way to the job, the BoD have believed the bullshit and it looks like there has been no probationary clause or a performance related clause put in his contract.

Amateur hour.

I have some sympathy for him. He's a young guy who fancies himself as a manager and wants to be successful, and it's clearly not working for him. It must be hard. I'm sure he's doing his best. He didn't lie his way into the job; he impressed at an interview the way that anyone would hope to.

However this is all personal level stuff and completely irrelevant. He's taking us down. The only reason I can think of for keeping him is that it's maybe too late already anyway, and we can't afford to sack him. That's not a lot to go on.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree with most of what you say. But I in no way feel sorry for Caldwell. I take it he put himself forward as being able to get us promotion. I wouldn't trust him to get promotion from league 1, never mind this one we are in. The guy had a good half season when the board gave him loads of money to buy the league at Wigan. Apart from that he has been a failure. When he is no longer our manager I don't see any decent level team employing him as manager. But I don't care where he ends up after he has left us. What I do care about though is what state Thistle will be in.

I don't care about him either. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome?!?

We are looking utterly doomed under him, and our only chance is to sack him. It's very grim just now.