Falkirk game

dl1971

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Excellent team goal (which included plenty of that pointless possession and negative sideways and backwards passing people seem to hate).

That has taken us to the bottom of the league and the second lowest scorers. Excellent indeed.

I was at todays game.

As a frequent critic of Caldwell on here I stick with what I posted a few weeks ago that next week is a defining game. If we cannot beat Stranraer his time at the club must end.

The team is definitely playing better than they were at the start of the season. The early games like the ones at somerset park and Tannadice were some of the worst I have ever seen by thistle teams. 

I have posted on here often that while most folk are caught up in PT’s defensive frailties ( which are many ) the problem over a long period of time is up front.

Nobody argues that Doolan has consistently been one of the best strikers in Scotland but today he contributed nothing.  Other than him we have not had a decent striker / goalscorer at the club in many years . Lyle Taylor the only one I can remember.

Possession is half the battle but the other half is actually troubling the other team.  We don’t have the players or the tactics at the club just now to score goals and for that reason we are going down a division for the second season in a row. The only thing that will save us will be the purchase of a goalscorer and a change in tactics to ensure that he is effective.

Must admit I also feel sorry for Caldwell he inherited a team that was in total disrepair.  Last summers transfer window was a complete shambles.  However,  he accepted a contract on the basis he could turn things around and now has to live up to that. He is not doing that and time is not on his side.

He was also not helped by a fud of a referee and a Falkirk team who knew how to pressure a weak referee.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I was at todays game.

As a frequent critic of Caldwell on here I stick with what I posted a few weeks ago that next week is a defining game. If we cannot beat Stranraer his time at the club must end.

The team is definitely playing better than they were at the start of the season. The early games like the ones at somerset park and Tannadice were some of the worst I have ever seen by thistle teams. 

I have posted on here often that while most folk are caught up in PT’s defensive frailties ( which are many ) the problem over a long period of time is up front.

Nobody argues that Doolan has consistently been one of the best strikers in Scotland but today he contributed nothing.  Other than him we have not had a decent striker / goalscorer at the club in many years . Lyle Taylor the only one I can remember.

Possession is half the battle but the other half is actually troubling the other team.  We don’t have the players or the tactics at the club just now to score goals and for that reason we are going down a division for the second season in a row. The only thing that will save us will be the purchase of a goalscorer and a change in tactics to ensure that he is effective.

Must admit I also feel sorry for Caldwell he inherited a team that was in total disrepair.  Last summers transfer window was a complete shambles.  However,  he accepted a contract on the basis he could turn things around and now has to live up to that. He is not doing that and time is not on his side.

He was also not helped by a fud of a referee and a Falkirk team who knew how to pressure a weak referee.

For me the whole issue is the tactics. We are playing exactly the same way as under Archie. Lots and lots of slow  pointless possession and passing  leading to absolutely nothing in the final third and hopeless balls from the wing which seldom get  into the box. Game after game we see the same results . One shot on target again today, none in the first half.  The only goalie to make any saves was ours. Wouldn't matter if we had Harry Kane up front as it stands.

3 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Jagzone suggested he was waving goodbye at FT. Hope not. We shall see.

He gestured to the john lambie stand where he held his heart and sent it to the fans. 

He played two super passes in his short time on the park. 

Separately, I would add that from JLS Harkins second yellow looked very kazy and very late. 

31 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I was at todays game.

The game next week doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things , don’t think we’re going to win the Scottish Cup anyway , we’ve got 1 home league game left in January and 1 in February, don’t think there is any chance we can turn this around.

Disappointing to drop a point to a poor Falkirk team... however we made ground in the promotion race with the top two both losing.  Falkirk fans seem to be astonishingly enthusiastic about a pretty dreadful side. We at least are too good to go down.

Back in the real world, this was a straight to Video version of a movie we have seen too many times  at Firhill since we were promoted in 2012 - lots of possession, create few clear chances, look far better than the opposition but fail to finish them off then give them the opportunity to get back in the game.  Bannigan ran the game but from a deep position and by the time the ball got near the danger area, there were nine players back in defence. Penrice shows some good touches but he can be a bit dopey in defence and indecisive going forward.  Doolan was anonymous...there is no link-up play with Storey who had his usual quota of wrong choices and wasteful shots...and it was one of his better days.

I still like watching Harkins play but I am not sure about his role in the side...and it was a certainty that Dallas would send someone off. Again some strange substitutions - we lost a midfielder, substituted another and brought on two wide players. Judgement reserved on all the new signings.

I should be ashamed at cheering when a player goes down injured  but Bannigan leaving Osman rolling on the ground was the highlight of the day.

Caldwell going on the pitch at the end to confront the referee was pathetic showboating. His Interview on Radio Scotland was cringingly embarrassing, whinging about the red card and  Falkirk being rough boys while we apparently were in complete control of the game. He didn't mention the shove on Slater which looked a good penalty shout.

I think we have better players than most of the other sides in this Division but I don't really see us winning the series of games we need to get back in touch with the teams above us.  Caldwell has failed already but no matter the results until the end of the season, like Derek Johnstone, Dick Campbell and Gerry Collins, I don't want him to be manager of my team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I was at todays game.

As a frequent critic of Caldwell on here I stick with what I posted a few weeks ago that next week is a defining game. If we cannot beat Stranraer his time at the club must end..

With respect I’d say that next week matters not a jot. In the mess we are in it’s games like today that are the defining ones.

1 win in 12 and 6 points from 36 are the defining statistics. Caldwell’s appointment has so far been an abject failure and - given we have today failed to beat, at home, our relegation rivals - that failure seems set to continue. 

1 hour ago, jagfaelivi said:

One thing about the Jags in the last 20 months we have lost the unpredictable tag completely!! 

Everything we do is utterly predictable. When was the last time we were surprised by anything involving Partick Thistle?

I’d say we have well and truly brought back the cuddly toy tag though

1. It was a very weak penalty shout. It was right in front of me

2. They could easily have gone in 1-0 up due to comical defending from Penrice and a hellish clearance from Hazard

3. Doolan should have been hooked the moment Harkins got sent off to restructure at the back and midfield and this delay maybe cost us.

4. Doolan isn't doing it, he is a passenger up front this season and Storey is a headless chicken. Therefore we pose minimal threat for long periods.

5. Harkins arsed it. 

6. Still don't think there is much between the sides in this league but we are powder puff up front and are in deep ****

2 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

2. They could easily have gone in 1-0 up due to comical defending from Penrice and a hellish clearance from Hazard

3. Doolan should have been hooked the moment Harkins got sent off to restructure at the back and midfield and this delay maybe cost us.

4. Doolan isn't doing it, he is a passenger up front this season and Storey is a headless chicken. Therefore we pose minimal threat for long periods.

5. Harkins arsed it. 

6. Still don't think there is much between the sides in this league but we are powder puff up front and are in deep ****

I can't comment on your points about the game as I wasn't there but I agree with point 6.

The strongest team in the league from what I've seen in person was Ross County but they were dreadful in the televised game against Morton and QOS game them a going over today. We play QOS at home in 2 weeks time and that would be a game we would normally expect to win, now have to win but if GC's in charge will probably lose.

We have 7 home league games left in the season. To get to safety would require to get somewhere between 36-40 points. Our away form is dreadful so we pretty much have to win all our home games to stand a chance.

A competent manager would have us higher up the league with the current squad and if replace Caldwell now we might just avoid relegation but thet time is now. We don't have the luxury of even waiting until after the QOS game.

6 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

5. Harkins arsed it. 

Agree with all your points but none more so than No3. Doolan could have been having one of his great games for all it would've mattered. You don't go down to 10 men and leave two players up top for ANY length of time. Incidentally Storey needed replaced earlier than he was as well but that was by far the lesser of the two evils. 

56 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The game next week doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things , don’t think we’re going to win the Scottish Cup anyway , we’ve got 1 home league game left in January and 1 in February, don’t think there is any chance we can turn this around.

49 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

With respect I’d say that next week matters not a jot. In the mess we are in it’s games like today that are the defining ones.

1 win in 12 and 6 points from 36 are the defining statistics. Caldwell’s appointment has so far been an abject failure and - given we have today failed to beat, at home, our relegation rivals - that failure seems set to continue. 

I agree that in the grand scheme of things next week doesn't matter but a defeat or even a draw to a lower league side has to be taken as  undeniable evidence that the Caldwell experiment has / will not work.

7 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I agree that in the grand scheme of things next week doesn't matter but a defeat or even a draw to a lower league side has to be taken as  undeniable evidence that the Caldwell experiment has / will not work.

Not thought it thru but there's a school of thought where a Cup run could be considered counterproductive. Not meaning to disrespect Stranraer but I believe we've a few players that shouldn't be risked. Obvious ones being Bannigan, Slater and Spittal but you could maybe even add Elliott and Penrice since we don't really have replacements for those two.

7 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I was at todays game.

Best post i've read in a while spider. A very reasoned post and i agree with everyrhing tou have typed.

May i add my tuppence worrh on the game. There were 5 of us there today and we all agreed we had been thoroughly entertained. That'll not dave us but it is progress. I too fear we are too far behind in terms of progress andvwill fall short. I too feel for GC tonight. We deserved to win but as you say legs like a spider we don't score enough. Today takes us in the right direction in terms of performance but we need to start winning. Lose next weekend and he should go but the reality is, he has been given funds to sign players and won't be sacked.

13 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Sadly, the Gary Caldwell story has to be over. This is a double relegation in the making. No club, apart from ours, would countenance this.

My real concern is that they will keep him after our relegation when he is given the opportunity to present his updated power-point on " Our 10 point plan for the return to the Championship"

5 minutes ago, joekea said:

My real concern is that they will keep him after our relegation when he is given the opportunity to present his updated power-point on " Our 10 point plan for the return to the Championship" 

You would hope that our board our cheid exec would spot the flaw in that presentation. 10 points will never be enough to win league one...

• Like 1

Just now, joekea said:

With Caldwell in charge it would take 10 years to get back to the Championship.

If we replaced Harkins with a more mobile player like Penrice (although who plays LB?) or McCarthy and Storey with Erskine our team would (hopefully) be more mobile and linked up.

Defence looks better. Midfield is talented. But no service to the forwards and Harkins is just too slow in the tackle.  Good skill but better in a number 10 role as its like watching your old Da playing 5 a side.

I am very worried. 

13 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

The facts tell you something very different. Look at our position in the league when Archie left and now. Our points tally is much worse under Caldwell.

The result of the game could have been different had the big decisions went our way. I think two challenges that Harkins put in did not merit a yellow.  Got to be the softest red card I have saw for a long long time.  You have to wonder how much the pressure Falkirk players put the referee under had an effect. Something we don’t do.

As some have mentioned above the problems we have a clear. The two strikers did not offer enough threat on goal and we need fresh faces in. The form of Alloa is really putting us in huge problems.

Thought Penrice had a poor game and it may force Caldwell into the market for a left-back.

Not sure what has happened to Doolan as he was very poor and offered very little up-front.  

The Banzo tackle on Osman was the highlight of the day. Not sure what Falkirk was thinking of playing him as he was struggling after about 30mins into the game!