Falkirk game

dl1971

As an indicator of the quality level we need to aspire to and for which Gary Caldwell seems totally uncapable of achieveing or getting close to, I present a link to Alloa's winning goal yesterday v Morton (you'll remember them from such loses as 2 weeks ago, 5-1 in november and currenty looking good for a playoff place)

https://twitter.com/AlloaAthleticFC/status/1084385382920269829

• Haha 1

Archie was sacked because we were clearly highly unlikely to attain our objective of gaining promotion this season. Caldwell was recruited to redress the situation and get us back on track to fulfill that objective. Two independent decisions were made. One is generally accepted as correct, just the timing being thought by many as being too late. The other decision has turned out disastrously. 

It's futile to argue that our spell under Archie this season is better than our spell under Caldwell unless you're prepared to argue that Archie should never have been sacked in the first place. It's equally futile tho' to put up an argument that Caldwell has been hamstrung due to the squad he inherited when results have further dipped since he took over.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Archie was sacked because we were clearly highly unlikely to attain our objective of gaining promotion this season. Caldwell was recruited to redress the situation and get us back on track to fulfill that objective. Two independent decisions were made. One is generally accepted as correct, just the timing being thought by many as being too late. The other decision has turned out disastrously. 

It's futile to argue that our spell under Archie this season is better than our spell under Caldwell unless you're prepared to argue that Archie should never have been sacked in the first place. It's equally futile tho' to put up an argument that Caldwell has been hamstrung due to the squad he inherited when results have further dipped since he took over.

Ran out of likes again. The only thing that is a smaller quantity than the likes we get, is the amount of points Caldwell will get as our manager.

9 minutes ago, jaf said:

With respect is it not the form of partick thistke that is putting us in huge problems? 

Of course not. Other teams beat us when they shouldn't, other teams win against other teams when they shouldn't and the refs are all against us. Our form is brilliant, in training.

• Like 1

5 game form 

Alloa P5 F10 A6 Pts 11
Falkirk P5 F5 A7 Pts 5
Partick P5 F5 A8 Pts 3

10 game form 

Alloa P10 F16 A14 Pts 15
Falkirk P10 F12 A13 Pts 13
Partick P10 F9 A16 Pts 7

15 game form 

Alloa P15 F20 A22 Pts 20
Falkirk P15 F15 A19 Pts 17 
Partick P15 F10 A23 Pts 7

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Hankey said:

5 game form 

Alloa P5 F10 A6 Pts 11
Falkirk P5 F5 A7 Pts 5
Partick P5 F5 A8 Pts 3

10 game form 

Alloa P10 F16 A14 Pts 15
Partick P10 F9 A16 Pts 7

15 game form 

Alloa P15 F20 A22 Pts 20

That’s makes absolutely horrific reading

1 hour ago, Hankey said:

5 game form 

Alloa P5 F10 A6 Pts 11
Falkirk P5 F5 A7 Pts 5
Partick P5 F5 A8 Pts 3

10 game form 

Alloa P10 F16 A14 Pts 15
Partick P10 F9 A16 Pts 7

15 game form 

Alloa P15 F20 A22 Pts 20

Have you sent this to the Board?

2 hours ago, northjag said:

Thought the fans were unfair on osman. Although he had a poor final season with us, he did give us a good 3 years and was brilliant when we got top 6.

He agrees with you.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/17355146.former-partick-thistle-captain-abdul-osman-shocked-at-hostile-firhill-reception/

Yeh, felt it a bit harsh tho' he must realise he's thought of as a hero in comparison to Mr Paton.

Looked to me Osman played just like he ended up playing with us and is quite likely finished at any level above us. Would rather remember Abdul from two seasons back and beyond when he was one of our most important players.

1 minute ago, AlgarveJag said:

If he'd left after the two good seasons he'd have been welcomed back fondly.  It's the suspicion that he just couldn't be bothered that irks many I suspect.

Yup. Sitting on his backside moaning to the ref as Dundee (?) were playing on and scoring at Firhill was a particular low point. 

Leaning over forwards when he got the ball and then losing possession in a high percentage of cases was a famiar sight last season when he made it onto the park.

He was definitely pretty good for about 18 months or so, more than Barton or Dumbuya, similar to Higgy. Between Abdul and Archie, his time was soured last season 

...and I'm surprised that he admitted to the ET that the jeering had affected his game.  Not surprised that his manager was awake to the risk and subbed a player on a yellow that might have attracted a red (to his own admission).  Where would one find such an astute and organised manager before the end of February?

On 1/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, laukat said:

I can't comment on your points about the game as I wasn't there but I agree with point 6.

The strongest team in the league from what I've seen in person was Ross County but they were dreadful in the televised game against Morton and QOS game them a going over today. We play QOS at home in 2 weeks time and that would be a game we would normally expect to win, now have to win but if GC's in charge will probably lose.

We have 7 home league games left in the season. To get to safety would require to get somewhere between 36-40 points. Our away form is dreadful so we pretty much have to win all our home games to stand a chance.

A competent manager would have us higher up the league with the current squad and if replace Caldwell now we might just avoid relegation but thet time is now. We don't have the luxury of even waiting until after the QOS game.

Only 7 home games left this season. Jeez, that really emphasises how bad it is!

I am now firmly of the view that he needs to go asap if we are to have any chance of staying in this league. Failure to act now is just going to pro-long the inevitable.

9 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Only 7 home games left this season. Jeez, that really emphasises how bad it is!

I am now firmly of the view that he needs to go asap if we are to have any chance of staying in this league. Failure to act now is just going to pro-long the inevitable.

Part time Alloa are 500/1 to win the Championship. We are 2500/1!

This concentrates the mind as to where we are!

2 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

...and I'm surprised that he admitted to the ET that the jeering had affected his game.  Not surprised that his manager was awake to the risk and subbed a player on a yellow that might have attracted a red (to his own admission).  Where would one find such an astute and organised manager before the end of February?

Also react quicker  to change the team when they go down to 10.

Abdul Osman shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness if he doesn't know the reason for the hostile reaction .

He was a very good player for us for three seasons, playing an important role anchoring the midfield. He missed the first half of last season but he was one of the injured players I expected  would pull us well clear of the relegation zone on their return. It didn't happen  - Osman hardly kicked a ball and couldn't get in a struggling side. I have posted on here before that the defining moment of last season was Osman lying on the ground "injured" allowing the space for Dundee to equalise late on - they then scored the winner in the last minute. It was the game and the passage of play which effectively led to relegation...and is my abiding memory of Osman, wiping out the many good games he had.

That's why I booed him and cheered when he went down injured. Fans will not forgive a player who doesn't look like he is trying his best. For all the criticism of Archie regarding his player recruitment, I would be more interested in finding out the reason he was unable to extract any worthwhile contribution from Osman , Dumbaya and Barton who only months previously had shown the ability to be key members of a Top Six Side.

Edited by Winter of '63

Just my tuppence worth regarding Harkins. IMO he deserved to get sent off. Although those fouls don't look as spectacular as the slide-in bone-breakers that we unfortunately see too often, they are almost as bad; stamping on a player's foot from close up where it might just be hard for a referee to spot can cause a lot of damage. If the first one was "soft" (and it wasn't), the second one was sheer stupidity as well as callousness, with the guy facing his own goal going nowhere in the middle of the park.

Can only hope that Harkins isn't losing the plot as well as pace and resorting to thug tactics because the game is passing him by.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flashman said:

Yup. Sitting on his backside moaning to the ref as Dundee (?) were playing on and scoring at Firhill was a particular low point. 

Leaning over forwards when he got the ball and then losing possession in a high percentage of cases was a famiar sight last season when he made it onto the park.

He was definitely pretty good for about 18 months or so, more than Barton or Dumbuya, similar to Higgy. Between Abdul and Archie, his time was soured last season 

Agree this is the likely reason why he was booed. That and the fact he seemed to down tools and was one of the players causing the rift between the manager and players. That said if i were him i'd have been pretty pissed that barton got a game ahead of me too.