Falkirk game

dl1971

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Just hoping Gary doesn't turn his tanker 360 degrees. Think darts and stop at 180.

Don't think anyone has yet posted a team for today.

Given the good first half last week, I suspect that the same team will be given the nod to start. Personally I would take out Storey (after his shocking second half showing following on his first half brilliance) and keep him for pace and/or desperation near the end of the game. I would start Erskine (who I am convinced will give his best and is better working his way into a game from the beginning or at least from half-time, but has rarely worked well as a later "impact substitute"), but I appreciate that others might prefer Cardle. I hope that we keep the more attacking roles for both Bannigan and Slater. Assuming that Saunders is now fully fit and that Harkins can last a bit longer, that might give us flexibility for more dynamic substitutions.

My only concern is as to who makes the tackles in the midfield, but you cannot have everything!

Is fitzpatrick not good enough anymore?  

After the outcry this week over Erskine, I'd be surprised to see him to get on the park at all. It doesn't suit the managers ego.

As with just aboot every week, this is surely a must win. I shudder to think what will happen to us if we get beat. Not only for the rest of this campaign but for years to come

Kris Doolan into his tenth year as a Jag, coupled with a new addition to his family I see him having a big game. What an outstanding representative of the club he has been!

Team-wise I don’t see Caldwell changing too much. The new lads that started and Harkins all had decent games last week. I guess if GGH starts it’ll be at the foot of a diamond formation again. 

Caldwell did big up Erskine on his Jagzone prematch interview but I’d be surprised if he isn’t on the bench but you never now...

Edited by jagfox

Hard to see Caldwell changing last week's starting line up despite Storey's second half performance, and because of Caldwell's obsession with the player.  When Harkins tires his replacement should depend on the score at the time - if losing or drawing then Erskine on for Harkins and Roy or Fitzpatrick replacing Storey if he plays us usual.  A draw is a failure - all out attack has to be the only tactic.  If winning, then bring on Cardle and Erskine for Storey.  Erskine tired badly after about 70min the last time I saw him start a game, so maybe fitness is a factor in his selection.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I agree , first half last week was good , hopefully he plays the same system, we’ve got to win games and play offensive football but I’ve still got a doubt he’ll resort back to type and go back to 3 5 2

I wasn't there last week jls. What was the system 1st half and did he change it in the 2nd

6 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I wasn't there last week jls. What was the system 1st half and did he change it in the 2nd

4-4-2 with a narrow diamond in midfield, Harkins at base of diamond.

Second half, he did change it and it became more like a 451 (Storey was moved wide), but it was changed a couple of times in second half

Just now, jaf said:

4-4-2 with a narrow diamond in midfield, Harkins at base of diamond.

Second half, he did change it and it became more like a 451 (Storey was moved wide), but it was changed a couple of times in second half

2nd half would've confused the hell outta me then.

Thanks jaf. Sound choice to go with 4-4-2 diamond. Hope he doesn't complicate it too much, esp 2nd half

2 hours ago, Moantherags said:

Is fitzpatrick not good enough anymore?  

Definitely good enough, but I am trying to guess what the manager will do rather than what he should do. I would hope that Fitzpatrick could be one of my dynamic substitutes. However, assuming the same team as last week starts, then the 3 most likely substitutes (assuming all defenders plus goalkeeper stay fit) are Cardle, Roy and Erskine, so Fitzpatrick may be 4th in line. Might get on if Caldwell wants to show Erskine and everyone else who is boss.

5 minutes ago, Big Col said:

So is there anyone who thinks a draw is good enough today? The old “I’d have taken a point before kick off” line?

A draw last week was a good point. But today is a must win imo. Win today and hopefully that will give the team and fans confidence. Time for a good run of results, which means winning at home and at least drawing away.

Must win for me.

Its about momentum.

If they win, they have momentum, new faces and won 2 successive game.

If we draw, we remain bottom of table and suddenly haven't won in 5 games

If we win we take positive momentum into the Cup game against lesser side, and then entertain QoS hopefully seeking a third successive win.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Not me, it’s a must win game.

25 minutes ago, allyo said:

We have to look to win. A draw would not be a good result

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

If we cant take 3 points off the team in 9th place  when we are at home I dont know where we are going to get the points from to get us out of this mess......

Agree.