Fitzpatrick leaving?

east end jag

Daily Record website

Website link

Ā 

Partick Thistle youngster Aidan Fitzpatrick is wanted by a number of English clubs including Sheffield Wednesday.

The Owls top a list of sides from the English Football League who want to bring the 17-year-old south in the January window after an impressive start to his Jags career.

The forward has scored three goals in 12 appearances since making his debut in the summer. He netted on his debut against Albion Rovers just minutes after coming on as a substitute in the Betfred Cup group match.

Heā€™s made nine Championship appearances so far for Gary Caldwellā€™s struggling side and was the first player born after 2000 to play for Thistle.

He signed a new deal at Firhill which is due to keep him at the club until 2021.

But with English clubs circling, Thistle could be in for a windfall which could help Caldwell bring players in as he looks to turn his sideā€™s seasons around.

Given Caldwell's record of signings so far, we would be mad to sell Fitzpatrick to allow Caldwell to sign more mediocre journeymen.Ā  Besides, Low and the Board promised money to strengthen the squad to get promotion, so we should not have to sell to bring in new players. Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see young players developed in the Academy playing in a Thistle jersey.

Otherwise whatā€™s the point of the Weirs money?

Weā€™ve hardly seen anything of Aidan. If heā€™s any good, heā€™ll benefit from 2 years in our 1st team, living locally with family and friends around him, then move on if an offer comes in. Thatā€™s hardly standing in his way.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I want to see young players developed in the Academy playing in a Thistle jersey.

Weā€™ve hardly seen anything of Aidan. If heā€™s any good, heā€™ll benefit from 2 years in our 1st team, living locally with family and friends around him, then move on if an offer comes in. Thatā€™s hardly standing in his way.

Can't argue with this.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Which is fine, but if his agent has any sort of nouse, there will be a minimum fee where he will be allowed to talk to who he wants. I don't know Aiden, but I doubt that he is a life long supporter, so what would you do in his situation ?

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Which is fine, but if his agent has any sort of nouse, there will be a minimum fee where he will be allowed to talk to who he wants. I don't know Aiden, but I doubt that he is a life long supporter, so what would you do in his situation ?

It's a fair point. There's likely to be a trigger offer set somewhere along the line. It's up to the Club to ensure it's not set ridiculously low. We rarely know the figures involved (tho' Ian McCall used to be more open to disclosures than other managers) so I'm with Weebaw re his sentiments.

43 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's a fair point. There's likely to be a trigger offer set somewhere along the line. It's up to the Club to ensure it's not set ridiculously low. We rarely know the figures involved (tho' Ian McCall used to be more open to disclosures than other managers) so I'm with Weebaw re his sentiments.

Absolutely agree with the sentiment, I was just saying that we might not have any choice in the matter