Nine? Is That All You've Got?

BowenBoys

17 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Whenever there is a football score with a large number in it, it takes me back. Back to that night at Fir Park. There can't be many football supporters who have witnessed their team score 11 goals in a game.

Oh, what a night. It's great to be a Jag. :fan:

Aye - I was there! (Lady Dosser had gone on holiday with her maw and missed it) :tongue2:

Seems to remember we were only 2-0 up at half-time and the team got booed off.

Oh for a 2-0 half-time lead these days!

Yes, a great night. I think Rovers had a few paunchy lads just back from the party areas of Europe. Ian Cameron ran riot as did Albert the Ghost.

8-3 game was even better as Motherwell had some fine players in that team.

We also beat Airdrie 7-0 in our promotion year with Sir Chris scoring 2 or 3. Take note Caldwell! If this knight of the realm ever gets a start he’ll be an fine asset!

One of my earlier games was a heavy defeat by St Johnstone. (1-9 I think!). Does anyone recall why we were destroyed? From memory, Alan Rough was introduced the following week.

9 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Yes, a great night. I think Rovers had a few paunchy lads just back from the party areas of Europe. Ian Cameron ran riot as did Albert the Ghost.

8-3 game was even better as Motherwell had some fine players in that team.

We also beat Airdrie 7-0 in our promotion year with Sir Chris scoring 2 or 3. Take note Caldwell! If this knight of the realm ever gets a start he’ll be an fine asset!

One of my earlier games was a heavy defeat by St Johnstone. (1-9 I think!). Does anyone recall why we were destroyed? From memory, Alan Rough was introduced the following week.

St johnstone had a great team in that era.   I remember going to muirton park on a wed night for the 1st leg of the quarter final of the league cup. St johnstone won 2-0, and we said to ourselves that that was the end of our run as we could not see a way back against this  st johnstone side. The following wed , I witnessed some of the best attacking football I have seen  when we won 5-2. The rest is glorious history.  The heavy defeat you mention weebaw was probably earlier.

• Like 1

League Cup, Aug 16, 1970: Thistle 1 St Johnstone 8. Two done h*n s doing their bit to get us relegated that season: Mabawzur, and Scott Symon. Our fate was already clear at the end of the League Cup games: P6, W0, D0, L6; F1, A25.  And we think things are bad just now! :shok:

ETA: Ritchie got replaced by Ian Dick, but as the league campaign dived from bad to worse, Ritchie got back in the team after a couple of months. Those were grim times.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Mulguy Jag, it was 5-1 in the second leg at Firhill against St Johnstone  in the quarters. What a night! Think Lambie was in the Saintees team?

Remember we lost ten twice in a few months in late fifties - 10-2 at home to Hibs and 10-1 at East End Park to keep Dunfermline from being relegated. Those were the days. Round about that time too Hibs won 11-1 in a league match at Broomfield and signed the Hibs reserve goalie , Lawrie Leslie, who let in a barrowload in a relatively short period but got capped for Scotland. He was a hero of mine and went on to a very successful career at West Ham.

Different times!

3 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

Mulguy Jag, it was 5-1 in the second leg at Firhill against St Johnstone  in the quarters. What a night! Think Lambie was in the Saintees team?

Remember we lost ten twice in a few months in late fifties - 10-2 at home to Hibs and 10-1 at East End Park to keep Dunfermline from being relegated. Those were the days. Round about that time too Hibs won 11-1 in a league match at Broomfield and signed the Hibs reserve goalie , Lawrie Leslie, who let in a barrowload in a relatively short period but got capped for Scotland. He was a hero of mine and went on to a very successful career at West Ham.

Different times!

There have been many suspicions regarding that Dunfermline score, with brown envelopes considered as one possible element in the plot. I wonder if a resourceful and determined journalist  might not be able to dig up a few interesting bits of information from interviews, recollections etc.

8 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

Different times!

Yep. Lambie was in the saint's team as was Sir Alex Ferguson in the Falkirk team we beat in the semi- final.

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

2-1 for Thistle at half time.

Ok - I knew it was low figures - I remember standing in the Shed with my Dad and Chanting " we want 5" then "we want 6" etc etc  - it seemed that everytime we demanded another Goal -  the  team duly obliged-  and not to forget as mentioned-  this was a very good Motherwell Team 

Note to the North Stand Guys - be more demanding - start chanting the Number of Goals you want Thistle to Score on Saturday ( worked in the past )  :fan:

I was in America when we played Albion Rovers at Fir Park. It was obviously back in the days before e-mail and internet.

I spoke to my Gran on the phone the next day, and she told me we'd beaten Motherwell 11-1! So while it was a very impressive result, I was a wee bit underwhelmed when I discovered who the opposition were.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

In season 53-54 against Airdrie we were involved in two 9 goal thrillers. We won both. 9-0 at Firhill, then 6-3 at Broomfield. Halcyon days indeed.

That must have been amazing to watch, presumably with fairly big crowds too.

15 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

Remember we lost ten twice in a few months in late fifties - 10-2 at home to Hibs  that time too Hibs won 11-1 in a league match at Broomfield and signed the Hibs reserve goalie , Lawrie Leslie, who let in a barrowload in a relatively short period but got capped for Scotland. He was a hero of mine and went on to a very successful career at West Ham.

Different times!

I was a ballboy at that 10-2 game. We were 5-0 down to Hibs at half time. In the dressing room at half time I heard the manager Willie Thornton shout at the players. He was raging and demanded a big fightback.  Sure enough we came back to 5-2 in no time and I thought we could do it but alas the Hibs forward line that day was absolutely devastating.  It was not a happy dressing room at the end of the game.