Stranraer Cup Game

scotty

Good to get the win against very poor opposition. Bannigan excellent, and Cardle looked pretty good. Hazard also look fairly solid. However if we are expecting Ally Roy to offer us anything I fear we may be waiting a long time. Sean McGinty also continues to be an absolute mess of a footballer. 

All in all, good to get to the next round. But today’s game isn’t the type that Caldwell should be judged against. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

3 times in the last year I had won prizes in the centenary fund but were sent to my old address. Each time I emailed my new address and each time I had won a prize that was sent to my old address I was advised by email that I hadn’t updated them with my new address. Each time I replied with the original email updating them with my address change. A bit shambolic really 

This  is a very bad reflection on the running of the Club, and I am certain it is indicative of the poor management which permeates through the whole organisation.

Who is in charge of running the football club? I want 1 name. Is it Low, Brittan or who?

Somebody must be ultimately responsible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

We beat then last time at Firhill. Glass half full.

You’ve said Glass Half Full twice today!

Apply that lens to us being bottom of the table. Or to the fact that Caldwell has one of the worst records of any Jags manager. Or to the fact that he let Erskine go.

How’s yer glass now?

Just now, sandy said:

Apply that lens to us being bottom of the table. Or to the fact that Caldwell has one of the worst records of any Jags manager. Or to the fact that he let Erskine go.

How’s yer glass now?

That has been dropped, shattered and in a billion bits.

Difficult to comment objectively these days. In ordinary circumstances I'd have come away today just thinking, job done, no dramas, happy enough. It was a convincing win against a team we should be beating convincingly. Some good movement up front and I liked the look of Cardle. Also thought Fitzpatrick offered plenty, Bannigan was as reliable as ever (he's way too good for this team) and Spittal continues to be good. Slater fine too.

Criticism I would have is that going into this transfer window the most obvious thing to me was that the defence needs sorted out. I can't say that I feel any different now. Every time there's a ball into the box we are vulnerable. I don't even think it's just about personnel. They have to be organised. At the moment, I just don't think they are.

2 hours ago, Emsca said:

This  is a very bad reflection on the running of the Club, and I am certain it is indicative of the poor management which permeates through the whole organisation.

Who is in charge of running the football club? I want 1 name. Is it Low, Brittan or who?

Somebody must be ultimately responsible.

A friend tried to add today's game to his season ticket online, after an hour of trying he gave up the ghost and subsequently was so sickened he almost didn't bother going today.

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Hazard had good saves first at 0-0, then at 2-1. After Stranraer sored we didn't look good for about 15 minutes, then we got back into. Went 3-1 up game over. 4-1 made it look better.

The introduction of Harkins steadied the ship and he pulled everyone further up the park with him. The 15 mins before that we were shaky and needed a super point blank save from Hazard and a deflection off a heel to keep our lead. Harkins changed the momentum back our way.

Good win in the end  - Banzo, Cardle and Fitzpatrick all excellent.  Doubt we will see Roy again - surely well down the strikers pecking order.

52 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I know, Storey will start next week and Fitzpatrick will be benched.:doh:

Might go against the grain here but I thought although Fitzpatrick took his goal well,I felt the left back had the better of him today.

and the only time that he got by the full back with skill  all game he  was hacked Down on the half way line. He had success when played through in space but seldom beat his man and gave the ball away on numerous occasions . I thought Bannigan  closely followed by Cardle were our best players today by far

Edited by macca

2 hours ago, sandy said:

How’s yer glass now?

Still half full. I find a positive outlook on life helpful. After a decent win I'd rather be positive than unremittingly negative. My apologies if my view is not your own. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm struggling to think of any positives we can take from today. I was down at Stranraer earlier in the season and felt we were much more self assured on that occasion. Turn things the other way round and I can't really come up with any seriousness negatives either. I'll file today's game as extremely unmemorable but I'd be interested to hear from others with opinions either side of that.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm struggling to think of any positives we can take from today. I was down at Stranraer earlier in the season and felt we were much more self assured on that occasion. Turn things the other way round and I can't really come up with any seriousness negatives either. I'll file today's game as extremely unmemorable but I'd be interested to hear from others with opinions either side of that.

Even if we were doing better in the league these sort of games are a hiding to nothing. If you lose it is, of course, awful. If you win by a big margin it is written off due to the standard of opposition and if you win in a fairly standard way it is what you should be doing anyway.

We needed to win and we did, a few new players got some game time and there is probably not much more to add.

37 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

next weeks game against QoS will be the big test for us

and for our manager  lose that :help: