Stranraer Cup Game

scotty

Enjoyed today’s game.

We played well enough. Cardle and Banzo tops.

Stranraer are awful but we still have to put these teams away which we did easily.

Roy doesn’t look good so let’s hope Mansell can do the business. Fitzy is a huge improvement on Storey although he gave the ball away too much.

Harkins may be used more as a sub. Looked terrific when he came on.

• Like 1

Wit a support today. The north stand bar a dozen again murmured their way through. The Erskine chant was embarrassing.

Theres only 1 Peter Lindau

Cardle was my MOTM. His movement and motivation alone was inspirational. His finishing at times left a lot to be desired but over the piece he won todays game. Wee fitz did well but lacked the final touch. Took his goal well but the afore mentioned joe put it on a plate

Edited by MonehJags
Positive

Credit where it’s due- that was a good performance and win. Could have scored at least a couple more. Fitzpatrick’s run for the goal coming off the wing I think will be his trademark- saw him scoring a near identical one for reserves. Hopefully he starts more often. Cardle had a great game inc pass for fitzy’s goal. Jury remains out on Roy- he looks quick but should have had a couple of goals yesterday but for poor finishing. Need another centre half and full back before close of the window, but if we keep that team and get coulibally fit to start soon, I would be hopeful. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm struggling to think of any positives we can take from today. I was down at Stranraer earlier in the season and felt we were much more self assured on that occasion. Turn things the other way round and I can't really come up with any seriousness negatives either. I'll file today's game as extremely unmemorable but I'd be interested to hear from others with opinions either side of that.

I was pretty much against Caldwell’s appointment from day one. But I would be much less harsh on that game. For me the coldness made it less easy to appreciate the entertainment!!  But there was plenty  

The first goal - the pass from Cardle, the run from Fitzpatrick, the finish. 

The second goal - the pass from mcginty to set it up

the free kick - very well worked 

then there were a few sublime passes by Cardle to appreciate and a couple of great runs by Fitzpatrick  

putting harkins on - well done to the manager for that as it was exactly what was needed  

ok Stranraer were poor and they did trouble us for 10/15 mins and I am under no illusions that next week will  be very different, however in this season where entertainment has been sparse, I think that would not be anywhere near the top of the unmemorable games of this season list! 

If we don’t perform next week, I will accept it’s been a case of flat track bullies  but on the basis of yesterday, I am hoping some momentum is beginning to build  

Edited by jaf

17 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

I can't (or won't) believe this is true.

They (Club/Board(s)) have made mistakes. Big mistakes.

Keeping Archibald on. He really should have gone after the play-off failure.

Employing Caldwell. They were charmed/hoodwinked and failed to fully investigate his record or the truth behind Cladwell's 'Chesterfield Defence'. They even, unwisely and embarrassingly, published his defence in a statement designed to win over the fans. It seems that, even then, they thought the fans would need some convincing.

Not inserting (or failing to enforce) a get out clause in the contract. Surely it was clear within three months that this wasn't going to work out. I can only conclude there was no such clause. Given his managerial record, this is absurd.

I think they have boxed themselves into a very tight corner. They can't afford to pay off Caldwell while still paying Archibald. I don't think it's apathy. I think they know that they're losing the fans but there is nothing positive they can say or do to alleviate the situation. We're fu<ked. They know it and we know it.

I usually agree with you and once again i agree with all of your post. Just one point bowden, the lack of engagement with fans cancelling their subscriptions and the apparent haphazzard engagement through bland interviewing suggests to me they either don't care about their customers or are apathetic to the customer.

Solution? Send e mails/texts or phone fans cancelling? Try and get them back.

Have guest fans doing interviews. Have fan interviews on camera and post them on pttv and pass to the board so they are sighted on fan opinion?

P.s. one victory against a lower club doesn't mean a new GC dawn, but fingers crossed

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I know, Storey will start next week and Fitzpatrick will be benched.:doh:

I sure hope not. I'll be first to say we shouldn't read too much into yesterdays result. Enjoy it for what it is and cross our fingers it plays a part in an upward trajectory but i doubt it will convince the manager to start ftzy next weekend. We can but hope

11 hours ago, jaf said:

The introduction of Harkins steadied the ship and he pulled everyone further up the park with him. The 15 mins before that we were shaky and needed a super point blank save from Hazard and a deflection off a heel to keep our lead. Harkins changed the momentum back our way.

Good win in the end  - Banzo, Cardle and Fitzpatrick all excellent.  Doubt we will see Roy again - surely well down the strikers pecking order.

More evidence we (the club) can't spot a player and that the scouting needs sorted?

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

More evidence we (the club) can't spot a player and that the scouting needs sorted?

I am not sure which player you are referring to, but to make the point in a replyto a post that includes 5 players who have signed for us in January and a 17 year old getting a start dilutes it a bit. Particularly as 5 of the 6 played pretty well yesterday. Apologies if I have completely missed what you were saying.

Very good result. Pretty much onto a hiding to nothing, a defeat or a draw would have been treated as a disaster and a narrow victory would have failed to impress.

That's 3 games undefeated. We need to win our next game against QOS. The next 3 games are massive and we need to take points from both ICT and Alloa.

31 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Very good result. Pretty much onto a hiding to nothing, a defeat or a draw would have been treated as a disaster and a narrow victory would have failed to impress.

That's 3 games undefeated. We need to win our next game against QOS. The next 3 games are massive and we need to take points from both ICT and Alloa.

Agree. We play Alloa twice before the end of the season and I feel we need to win both to help us catch them.

I thought the game was heartening that we at least made many opportunities although it does worry me the way our defence, at times, looks to be a chaotic exercise. If both team had converted their best chances I think the game would have ended 8-3 to us. To my mind we have avoided what could have been a banana skin of a game, Stranraer were poor, but they did have a few players that have the skills to embarrass us, fortunately they also had some of the slowest midfield players I have seen in years, their number 6 [Connor McManus according to the program] was a gift to our forward players.

Bannigan was on good form, and I agree with others on this forum that Stuart really should be playing at a higher level, Cardle put in a good shift and if he is allowed the time to build a working relationship between him, Fitzpatrick, Doolan and Spittal, there is the makings of a few good attacking / attacking midfield options. I thought Saunders looked good and capable, and Harkins, for the time he was on, does show his worth. Next weeks game against QoS will show us if we are progressing at the standard required to stay in the Championship, or whether we actually have found the level we are more suited to.

I may be grasping at straws here, but if the forward players can be coached to play to each others strengths, we sort out the defence fragilities, and Harkins can get a bit more pace we should be able to stay in this league ….. maybe this win will give the team that glimmer of belief and confidence they have been lacking for the last 4 awful months? … hope so

31 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Absolute shocker of a decision (or rather, non decision) - excuse my decrepit memory but was this not the phase of play that led to their goal?

I think it was 4-1 when this happened and game was in the bag, however still a shocking decision and Hazard and a few of our defenders were not best pleased.

28 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Watching the highlights, I had to smile at the Stranraer player in the centre circle holding his head in his hands when Thistle scored, as if he couldn't believe that they were actually losing against us!!

Yeh had a chuckle at that too, he looked distraught at a few of the goals.

20 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure which player you are referring to, but to make the point in a replyto a post that includes 5 players who have signed for us in January and a 17 year old getting a start dilutes it a bit. Particularly as 5 of the 6 played pretty well yesterday. Apologies if I have completely missed what you were saying.

It was reacting to the point about roy. I didn't make it on saturday but my son and his mates were fairly negative about his abilities, with JAF sharing a similer view, i've jumped to the conclusion he is gash and more like an archie signing.

I agree from what i have seen over last few games the players he has brought in are an improvement. Perhaps i shouldn't jump to judge a new player so soon and based solely on others reviews but it's been a long 20 or so months and maintaining positivity is very hard.

Plus i've a bee in my bunnet when GC disclosed at the Q & A that we've no scouting network bar a few volunteers. But good point well made and i hope this clarifies what i meant:worship:

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

It was reacting to the point about roy. I didn't make it on saturday but my son and his mates were fairly negative about his abilities, with JAF sharing a similer view, i've jumped to the conclusion he is gash and more like an archie signing.

I agree from what i have seen over last few games the players he has brought in are an improvement. Perhaps i shouldn't jump to judge a new player so soon and based solely on others reviews but it's been a long 20 or so months and maintaining positivity is very hard.

Plus i've a bee in my bunnet when GC disclosed at the Q & A that we've no scouting network bar a few volunteers. But good point well made and i hope this clarifies what i meant:worship:

I thought it was about Roy, and I share your sons view about him. It is difficult to judge on 1 showing.

i watched some of the Livingston game vs Hearts yesterday. I am sure the Livingston fans would not be too  enamoured with Erskines abilities