Stranraer Cup Game

scotty

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I will thanks. You likewise.

It's 'you're' though 

Which is not being sarcastic at all.

BOOM!!!!!!!! Luvin this Barney. Maintained your composure, played the long game aaaaand........smashed him:frantic:

I just don't get posters like him, seems sad and totally pointless

9 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Unusually this thread has gone slightly off topic!  In our current predicament it really doesn't matter whether Doolan is a legend or not.

Like everything else in football things change fast but based on the evidence we have at the moment we do not have a striker at the club to get us moving up the league.

Mansell has never played at this level, Doolan is struggling and Roy looked poor.  Sammons name keeps reappearing but he is hopeless.

Based on the Stranraer game Caldwells signings have generally improved the team but the striking position once again has not been addressed. It would be kinda strange if Caldwell now brought another striker in. The alternative is for one of the three to hit some sort of form which at present looks unlikely ( Maybe unfairly in Mansells case I'm basing this on his cv rather than watching him play ).

In short if we are to save our place in the Championship its looking like we will have to do it without a proven goalscorer.  It makes things tougher but not impossible.

Anybody got Lyle Taylors phone number??

Can't argue with your assessment on the striking options. Another possible factor is Coulibaly. I was surprised that if deemed fit enough for the bench on Saturday he didn't get the nod to replace Roy rather than Doolan.  Think he needed more than 5 minutes at the end and that would have been a good game to do that. 

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I'm honestly not sure but he must have been doing something right.

My point is, as you so rightly said yesterday, it is difficult to judge a player after one game. I saw Lawrence Shankland a few times, once for St Mirren during his second loan spell there and a couple of times at Morton - and he was hopeless. So much so the fans were laughing at him. I couldn't understand what Aberdeen had signed him for and if you look at his goal scoring record there (and his Morton and 2nd St Mirren loan spell), it doesn't make for good reading. He obviously had something though and when he settled at Ayr and got a run of games in a lower division, he started scoring and is now worth, in relative terms, a lot of money.

People slated Kevin Nisbet during his first few appearances at the beginning of last season. This was despite him scoring a lot of goals in the development league. He then had a great game in the cup at Perth and I don't think he started another match for us. Look at Nisbet now. People keep using this phrase "found his level", which I don't think can be attributed to a young player. Who is to say Nisbet can't score 20 plus goals in the Championship next season if Raith Rovers get promoted? I'm not for a minute predicting he will, all I am saying is he may be able to do well at a higher level, like Shankland has.

What jlsarmy was saying was that, in the position we find ourselves in, we don't really have time to wait for a youngster to find his feet. I know exactly what he means but I would still be keen not to write off the ability of Roy after just one start for the team.

Agree with this. I remember going to a pre season game many years ago when Martin Hardie had just joined us I think. Someone beside us thought he was a total donkey. How wrong can you be.