Jags vs QoTS 26/1/19

sandy

There were several good things today.

Hazard looks way more of prescence than Sneddon or Bell. McMillan looks promising. Cardle ran the game until he went off. Saunders was to me  the pick of the new signings as we have a central defender who can not only compete aerially but can actually tackle.

Having 2 genuine wingers in Cardle and Fitzpatrick did make our attacking play more threatening. Spittal was good first half and his tackle to stop a QOS attack was a part of his game that just wasn't there a few weeks ago. Fitzpatrick was really good second half and his little move really creates the second goal.

We're still missing a defensive midfielder. Slater was quiet today but he was playing further back today. There were too many times that the ball was cut back in front of the back 4 to an unmarked QOS player. Had Dobbie got his shooting boots on in the first half we might have had a different scenario.

We still need a left sided centre defence. Saunders did well today in covering that position but he will get exposed if left in that position as he is very right footed.

Doolan got himself in the right places but his touch is still not quite there. An on form Doolan probably scores 3 today.

It would be interesting to see the Roy goal again. Fitzpatrick's pass is really good so if Roy is offside he only has himself to blame. Apart from Roy's goal he barely touched the ball and wasn't doing enough to stop the QOS players playing out from the back. Would have preffered to have seen Coulibally come on for Doolan.

Overall a good win but we need a few more results and a couple more signings before we get close to saying we have turned a corner. If today's game had went on another 10 minutes I'm pretty sure we would have conceeded a second.

Got to be said that was one of the most fluid of formations I've seen us play for a long time. I'm kinda split as to whether there's mileage in continuing with same as it can be easily countered. The plus side tho' is if you score first more than ever you really are in the driving seat. Gut feeling tho' is to give Caldwell fair amount of credit for today.

Lot will be said about the new recruits who by and large did well. Perhaps less said about the old guard, Doolan, Elliott & Bannigan. Thought all three put in very good performances. Doolan's movement today created a lot of space for the likes of Spittal and Cardle to exploit.

None of our goals today will win goal of the day competitions. But what they do prove is get the ball into the box and have players attacking the ball it will cause a lot of problems for defenders. Hope we see more of that, instead of what we have seen in the past, balls not getting past the first defender.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Hazard looks way more of prescence than Sneddon or Bell. McMillan looks promising. Cardle ran the game until he went off. Saunders was to me  the pick of the new signings as we have a central defender who can not only compete aerially but can actually tackle.

Having 2 genuine wingers in Cardle and Fitzpatrick did make our attacking play more threatening. Spittal was good first half and his tackle to stop a QOS attack was a part of his game that just wasn't there a few weeks ago. Fitzpatrick was really good second half and his little move really creates the second goal.

We're still missing a defensive midfielder. Slater was quiet today but he was playing further back today. There were too many times that the ball was cut back in front of the back 4 to an unmarked QOS player. Had Dobbie got his shooting boots on in the first half we might have had a different scenario.

We still need a left sided centre defence. Saunders did well today in covering that position but he will get exposed if left in that position as he is very right footed.

Doolan got himself in the right places but his touch is still not quite there. An on form Doolan probably scores 3 today.

It would be interesting to see the Roy goal again. Fitzpatrick's pass is really good so if Roy is offside he only has himself to blame. Apart from Roy's goal he barely touched the ball and wasn't doing enough to stop the QOS players playing out from the back. Would have preffered to have seen Coulibally come on for Doolan.

Overall a good win but we need a few more results and a couple more signings before we get close to saying we have turned a corner. If today's game had went on another 10 minutes I'm pretty sure we would have conceeded a 

Yes,Hazard is definitely more of a presence given that he's about 7 ft tall! However, still not convinced. He never took one cross that came into the box today and poor handling led to the penalty. Couple of scuffed kicks also.

Saunders has definitely improved the defence and Mcmillan looked the part today too. 

Fitzpatrick is getting better with each game he plays.

Next week is the real test tho. Last home win v dunfermline was followed up by a poor performance, so important to keep the momentum going this time. 

Edited by NotAFan

Just now, laukat said:

Overall a good win but we need a few more results and a couple more signings before we get close to saying we have turned a corner. If today's game had went on another 10 minutes I'm pretty sure we would have conceeded a second.

Great asseaament of the game laukat. Agree with everything bar the last sentence. I don't think they were going to score from open play even if they were still playing. It was going to take a penalty of freekick to beat Hazzard today. That's the first time i've thought that this season. No corner turned but the indicator appears to be on................more of this please Thistle

Just now, Auld Jag said:

None of our goals today will win goal of the day competitions. But what they do prove is get the ball into the box and have players attacking the ball it will cause a lot of problems for defenders. Hope we see more of that, instead of what we have seen in the past, balls not getting past the first defender.

Really good point. The passing and crossing into the box today was so much better

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Carefull. The forum police will be onto you for mentioning “the P word” don’t you know that in our situation that is a rediculous suggestion.

Nope

For some odd reason I get to moderate this forum.

You can say what you want  as long as it does't bust forum rules.

Capiché ?

I thought not.

7 hours ago, NotAFan said:

Yes,Hazard is definitely more of a presence given that he's about 7 ft tall! However, still not convinced. He never took one cross that came into the box today and poor handling led to the penalty. Couple of scuffed kicks also.

Saunders has definitely improved the defence and Mcmillan looked the part today too. 

Fitzpatrick is getting better with each game he plays.

Next week is the real test tho. Last home win v dunfermline was followed up by a poor performance, so important to keep the momentum going this time. 

I am with you on Hazard - a couple of time he came for the ball and didn’t get it.

Saunders almost cost a goal with a short pass back and McMillan got caught out a couple of times but recovered well.

Still a big improvement on what we have seen this season. My feeling is that McMillan will play in centre defence until O’Ware is fit and then he will be contesting Elliot for right back. However, on the last few weeks showing, Elliot should be keeping his place.

6 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Nope

For some odd reason I get to moderate this forum.

You can say what you want  as long as it does't bust forum rules.

Capiché ?

I thought not.

That being the case are you the person we can ask for more than 2 likes in a 24 hour period?

Elliot has been like a new signing the past few weeks. Has really got back to his best, where he is a more than competent full back. Let’s just hope he keeps it up, as that’s been a huge problem for us the past year. 

The thing I noticed yesterday was the spirit and effort in the team, that has been lacking for months. The whole team looked like they really wanted the win. Tackles, all fair, we’re flying in which was great to see. Heart was in mouth for Elliot’s slide tackle in our box but it was perfectly timed. Likewise with Spittal’s when he was tracking back.    

Spittal is another whose form has transformed under Caldwell. He is starting to look a complete midfielder, rather than a number 10 type player. 

I haven’t been impressed by Caldwell’s start, and while I think 10/12 weeks is too early to sack him, I was Getting closer to joining that way of thinking. Having seen his signings play, and the way the team is playing, I’m happy to give him longer and hopefully eat some humble pie later in the season. 

Hazard looks fine and an improvement on what we had. 

Saunders looks by far and away the best centre half we have (until O’Ware is back)

Mcmillan looked good yesterday. 

Cardle looks like he would be very useful, but suspect he’s now out for a good few weeks which is a blow.

Roy took his “goal” well but am not convinced he is any more than a sub to stretch a defence later in games. 

Harkins - who knows? If played as a holding mid will be a nightmare, but can unlock any defence in this league if he plays well, and could be very useful. 

There have been positive signs recently after some very ominous signs. Just as Caldwell is rightly slated for certain results and decisions made, he also deserves some credit when he gets it right. Let’s just hope things keep improving and he wins over the majority of us come the end of the season. 

28 minutes ago, allyo said:

.id have given that I like but I can't afford it.

You've hit on the solution to our supressed opinions, Allyo. 

What is needed is a likes market, where the ability to trade unused likes can be made with those opinionated, kindly souls for whom there is a likes shortage.  Of course money changing hands is not the answer, but perhaps the moderator could put his mind to finding a suitable commodity.

Failing this, and no increase in supply of likes by the moderator, the only solution I can see is more extreme views being expressed on here that would reduce the demand for likes.

PS That last bit probably would not work.

Edited by eljaggo

18 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

You've hit on the solution to our supressed opinions, Allyo. 

What is needed is a likes market, where the ability to trade unused likes can be made with those opinionated, kindly souls for whom there is a likes shortage.  Of course money changing hands is not the answer, but perhaps the moderator could put his mind to finding a suitable commodity.

Failing this, and no increase in supply of likes by the moderator, the only solution I can see is more extreme views being expressed on here that would reduce the demand for likes.

PS That last bit probably would not work.

Well let's give it a go...

You're talking schyte eljaggo. As usual. Ya muppet

Fitzpatrick didn't contribute much in 1st half. Dont know what was said to him at half time but in 2nd was excellent, a player transformed. But for me man of match was Spittal. He has pretty much been different class for weeks now. Seasons top scorer(?), two assists yesterday and totally bust a gut...went off with nothing left to give. That's what we need this season. 

2 minutes ago, ThistleBunnet said:

Fitzpatrick didn't contribute much in 1st half. Dont know what was said to him at half time but in 2nd was excellent, a player transformed. But for me man of match was Spittal. He has pretty much been different class for weeks now. Seasons top scorer(?), two assists yesterday and totally bust a gut...went off with nothing left to give. That's what we need this season. 

Out of likes

3 minutes ago, ThistleBunnet said:

Spittal has been transformed since playing a more central role. He was superb yesterday.

50 minutes ago, ThistleBunnet said:

Alternatively Aiden's transformation could've been down to playing more of the 2nd half  with a two goal cushion, and the entire half with a lead. Not losing possession cheaply will be drummed into the team and it would be understandable that affects Fitzpatrick 's decision making. He's at his best when he's trying to go by defences and risking losing possession. Backed by a cushion of a goal or two perhaps makes it easier on him to just play his natural game.

Incidentally I sense Penrice suffers similarly. I know he's got above average technique and has the ability to beat an opponent. He rarely does and there could be an element of fear of blame in losing possession. Thus he checks his run so often.

2 hours ago, mad-jag said:

Elliot has been like a new signing the past few weeks. Has really got back to his best, where he is a more than competent full back. Let’s just hope he keeps it up, as that’s been a huge problem for us the past year. 

The thing I noticed yesterday was the spirit and effort in the team, that has been lacking for months. The whole team looked like they really wanted the win. Tackles, all fair, we’re flying in which was great to see. Heart was in mouth for Elliot’s slide tackle in our box but it was perfectly timed. Likewise with Spittal’s when he was tracking back.    

Spittal is another whose form has transformed under Caldwell. He is starting to look a complete midfielder, rather than a number 10 type player. 

I haven’t been impressed by Caldwell’s start, and while I think 10/12 weeks is too early to sack him, I was Getting closer to joining that way of thinking. Having seen his signings play, and the way the team is playing, I’m happy to give him longer and hopefully eat some humble pie later in the season. 

Hazard looks fine and an improvement on what we had. 

Saunders looks by far and away the best centre half we have (until O’Ware is back)

Mcmillan looked good yesterday. 

Cardle looks like he would be very useful, but suspect he’s now out for a good few weeks which is a blow.

Roy took his “goal” well but am not convinced he is any more than a sub to stretch a defence later in games. 

Harkins - who knows? If played as a holding mid will be a nightmare, but can unlock any defence in this league if he plays well, and could be very useful. 

There have been positive signs recently after some very ominous signs. Just as Caldwell is rightly slated for certain results and decisions made, he also deserves some credit when he gets it right. Let’s just hope things keep improving and he wins over the majority of us come the end of the season. 

This sums up my thoughts, especially the humble pie bit. I've been firmly in the Caldwell GTF gang but i'm coming over ro thinking your way mad jag, and so hope i have to eat humble pie too. I'm never going to take to Caldwells manner but as i've said before i don't have to like the guy and am 100% sure he doean't care what i think. Fair play to him, he's doing it his way and will stand or fall. I just can't and won't get over the treatment of erskine. Even if it meant we stayed up.........or do i.