Jags vs QoTS 26/1/19

sandy

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Alternatively Aiden's transformation could've been down to playing more of the 2nd half  with a two goal cushion, and the entire half with a lead. Not losing possession cheaply will be drummed into the team and it would be understandable that affects Fitzpatrick 's decision making. He's at his best when he's trying to go by defences and risking losing possession. Backed by a cushion of a goal or two perhaps makes it easier on him to just play his natural game.

Incidentally I sense Penrice suffers similarly. I know he's got above average technique and has the ability to beat an opponent. He rarely does and there could be an element of fear of blame in losing possession. Thus he checks his run so often.

Thats a great point LiB, he did overlap a few times yesterday as did christie, and to better effect too but again as you point out i don't remember him hitting the bye line

Best Thistle performance I've seen for a long time. Much improved in central defence and never shat it when under pressure and lead reduced to a single goal with ten minutes still to play.

I winced when  Cardle looked in so much pain when he went down and stayed down. He'd been our best performer up to that point, in my opinion.  Really hoping it's not as serious as it looked; we need his endeavour and creativity as well as his finishing ability.

Second half, Eden (not a typo) Fitzpatrick looked like a talent the likes of which we haven't seen West of the nolly for a very long time. Only 17 and bursting with natural ability. Similar in stature to his Belgian comparator and about 10 years his junior. He's gonna net us a big pay day some day not too far away, I would imagine.

I've been an unremitting critic of Gary Caldwell, and although one swallow does not a summer make and all that, I would be ecstatic to be proved wrong about him over the course of the remainder of the season. Very early days, though, and we're still in the Turkish Delight. 

As an aside, I was impressed with the boy Hazard in goals. Not the finished article, of course, but a terrific stopper. The best since big Tam, in my opinion; potentially better. Get him on a contract from the Tims, or a longer loan.

Monni Thistle. 

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 2

Great win for us yesterday against an in-form Queen of the South side. With Alloa losing and Falkirk drawing it really does help us make ground on our rivals and take us off that bottom spot. 

Two great performances from young Adian and Spittal. The game suited Fitzpatrick in the second half as we started to hit them on the break and I thought we were very unlucky not to score more. As some have mentioned above if he continues like this then he will net a large sum for us. It's fantastic that we have such a talented young player coming through. Enjoy him when you can as if he continues like yesterday he will probably not be here next season. 

It was a penalty for Queens but you can't help but think it was very similar to the penalty claim we have against Falkirk that we never got! We had a penalty shout ourselves but was just outside the box. The referee never gave it anyway even though the Queens player clearly blocked Spittal. 

I seem to be one of the few Thistle fans that think Sammon will do well for us if we sign him.  If we get him along with O'Dea I would be confident of avoiding the two bottom spots. 

Edited by Alan Murray

45 minutes ago, sandy said:

Agree BJ, Fitzpatrick was exciting and Hazard looked solid at the back. 

A few Jags smiling today!

Maybe just me, but I was expecting a bit more from Hazard when he arrived, given he's a 6'5" Internationalist on a four-year deal at Celtic. Cracking save yesterday but didn't deal particularly well with crosses and should've done better with shot that lead to penalty. Duffed a couple of kicks too. 

Great game. Coz Thistle won.

Would be delighted to be proved wrong about Caldwell and Spittal. He was excellent yesterday, embroiled in the action, delivering great crosses, dribbling, tackling, rollicking team mates.  Possibly Caldwell is finally bringing out the best in him and earmarked some leadership qualities. Keep it up please Blair and don’t disappear into your shell.

Christie has a hell of an engine, thought he was brilliant. Banzo, Cardle, Aidan, Saunders all excellent.

Downsides? Not many. Storey poor as usual, worst 1st touch ever. Not sure about big keeper who was at fault at the goal.

We can escape but need some away inspiration now.

8 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

The keeper was at fault for the goal??? Well I suppose he went the wrong way. Personally I blame the twat who bundled over their player for no apparent reason. 

He certainly made the error that put is in a mess, which ultimately led to the penalty. But it was the silly challenge that cost us.

I have to say I was one of those very against Spittal ,rated him nothing more than a fraud and a s****bag at some points out of rage but my god was I wrong he has well and truly went from 0 to hero in my books. Absolutely outstanding effort and final ball yesterday and for a good few weeks now ,a man transformed I think now that he has found consistency one of the best in the league and I mean that ,his track back and perfectly time slider to stop queens going through 1 on 1 summed him up for the last couple of months ,keep it up Blair outstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://youtu.be/reme5oxGB4I

Good highlights from QOTS. Wasn't at the game, but from the highlights it looked like we were trying to get the ball in the box a bit quicker. Doolan unlucky with a few headers. Fitzpatrick on the end of a couple of heavy tackles but that will help him in the long-term. 

Ridiculous we have to pay for highlights and interviews, all be it £5:99 pm.  

On 1/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, Thistleberight said:

That being the case are you the person we can ask for more than 2 likes in a 24 hour period?

To be fair, each of us gets three - just not in one Western European day, as sufficient sacrifices to the gods of the servers in Trumpland have not been made. Never, mind - we'll soon be on Airstrip One, once Brexit makes its mark. American football, anyone? :getmecoat:

Hmm. It was quite tight but it definitely looks onside. For all that it's a tight call it's not a difficult one. Defender and striker running the same way and the pass coming along the line. Often have a lot of sympathy for linesmen when they get them wrong, because it can be an impossible thing to see, but not this time.

Great highlights, showed some of the incidents not shown on Jagzone and the added bonus of zoom and cameras behind the goals that cleared up a few questions. Jagzone highlights in the 2nd half seemed to be zoomed out as the players looked tiny. Glad I’ve cancelled it

Some of our attempts at heedering the ball are comical at best. Doolan's effort should have burst the net, instead it bounced off his head an wide. Then you have penrice at the back post defending with nobody near him closing his eyes. Surely we dont need to train professionals how to head the ball?

18 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Some of our attempts at heedering the ball are comical at best. Doolan's effort should have burst the net, instead it bounced off his head an wide. Then you have penrice at the back post defending with nobody near him closing his eyes. Surely we dont need to train professionals how to head the ball?

I think there is plenty of evidence that Doolan is an excellent header of the ball....

5 hours ago, Fearchar said:

To be fair, each of us gets three - just not in one Western European day, as sufficient sacrifices to the gods of the servers in Trumpland have not been made. Never, mind - we'll soon be on Airstrip One, once Brexit makes its mark. American football, anyone? :getmecoat:

Beautiful.

Needless to say he never replied. Not even to say feck off