Jags vs QoTS 26/1/19

sandy

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

Yeah thought he was very good in spells but also a bit wasteful at times - but that's what you expect with a youngster. Definite  ability.

Thought Doolan put in a good shift and was unlucky with header.

Guys like Storey and Elliott are just not footballers and I know longer get frustrated by them as they are just not capable. Elliott is a good athlete and a willing runner who tries hard , but he does not have football brain and too often makes the wrong decision. Storey is similar - fast runner with no end product.

All in all the defence looked a lot surer. Hazard looks an improvement-, one great save early on  but looked a wee bit shaky with high balls which is surprising given his height.

All about opinions but I think that is harsh on Elliot, thought today he had a good enough game. Also Storey scored the winning goal. Somebody told me whenever Storey scores Thistle wins. Perhaps The juke box rebel can confirm this.:D

On the game, Queens started really smartly and Dobbie forced a really good save from Hazard. Their no 7 was catching Penrice out time and again. However, we started getting more into the game and were pretty sharp going forward. Good build up to our goal with Spittal doing particularly well to get the ball across for Cardle to score. There were a couple of slack moments defensively.

2nd half, Fitzpatrick really took the game to them providing at least 3 chances for Storey, Doolan and Roy.

Queens were really at it with Dobbie never out the refs ear, stealing yards at throw ins and free kicks.

We really deserved that win today and everybody worked really hard

• Like 1

Much better. Defence looked so much more solid today. Spittal, Fitzpatrick and Cardle excellent. Such a shame for Cardle to pull his hamstring, hope he is not out for too long. He's made a hell of a difference. Only downside was Mccarthy's stupid penalty to set up a nervous finish. Deserved victory. 

Loved that today. Voice was hoarse after the game, probably for the first time this season. Properly exciting.

Team looked good throughout I thought, but Spittal, particularly in the first half, was outstanding. Just shows what a bit of confidence can do. Defence better than its been all season and it was looking a lot like a clean sheet all day until McCarthy did something that I can now laugh about. Actually felt a bit sorry for him at the time. But Jeez.

Hoping the news on Cardle isn't too bad coz he was looking good. Ftzpatrick very good.  Christie's best game this season. Bannigan obviously good.

Thought Doolan had a goal in him and I'm not convinced that the substitutions were a positive. But don't want to criticise Caldwell too much today because his team is now looking capable of getting us out of this mess. Fingers crossed.

Not sure why the goal,was disallowed. Offside? Looked okay to me.

Anyway, haven't read what anyone else thinks. I'll go look now. But after today I reckon it's time to back Caldwell and hope that he can take us forward. I finally have some hope.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Carefull. The forum police will be onto you for mentioning “the P word” don’t you know that in our situation that is a rediculous suggestion.

Yeah it is a ridiculous suggestion. I'm not the forum police as far as I know, but if we're talking about the premier playoffs then it s an absolutely ridiculous suggestion. 

Im feeling positive tonight, more than I have for a long while. But in my new positive mood I'd bite your hand off for eighth. That has to be the target.

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

11 points off play offs.....more importantly i think dunfermline will be in the mix. All is not lost as yet. Nb I also thought Elliot had a decent game. Interesting that he was bombing forward when he could, but Penrice clearly told to stay back. 

Think this came from changing to a back 3 for the second half (Penrice / saunders / mcmillan)

If Erskine going to livi helped bring in mcmillan, maybe Caldwell ain't as daft as he looks, but who'd be crazy enough to say that... B)

• Like 1

An enjoyable game.  Of course it was we won!  The crowd enjoyed it and the atmosphere was decent although that QOTS penalty you start thinking "it should be 3-0 and now it could finish 2-2..."

As others have said it was a bit shaky to start with and QOTS had more possession and looked more of a threat.

We got our goal through effort and taking a chance.  Cardle was a threat and looks  a real player and I hope his hamstring injury is not serious.  Fair play to QOTS for putting ball out as they spotted, as we all did, that he was done.  Good play for the  2nd and Dools was looking more sprightly with more service than in previous games.  Loved Spittals cross for Dools header that I thought was a certainty but not to be.

Defence looked better and I liked the look of McMillan in his first game.   Saunders has looked a big improvement on what we had since his very first game.  I think Hazard handled the ball outside the box when he charged it down but he got away with it.  Christie had plenty of effort and made some decent challenges but I keep thinking Penrice is wasted at LB.  Would it better to have him as the DM and get another LB in?

Midfield is fluid and Spittal is showing his class.  First time I have seen Fitzpatrick play a consistent game and while he needs to fill out and mature as he can be knocked off the ball from heavier players he has some real skill there.  Slater looked decent in the more defensive role and less of a bombscare than Harkins but I feel he is better in a more advanced position.

I think we started in a 4-1-3-1-1 formation and in 2nd half it looked more like 4-2-3-1 although I see others have mentioned a back 3 so it would be good to see what others views are on that.

Onwards and upwards I hope.

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo