Are we stronger ?

Auld Jag

Definitely a lot better. Whether there is enough improvement remains to be seen.  Coulibaly looked better than I expected in the reserve match against Celtic, If he is motivated and gets fit could be key.

Saturday is a big test and will probably give a good indication of the way things will go.  With so few games left the manager and players need to get things right straight away.

Caldwell certainly appeared to spot the problem areas in the team and his transfers in and out give hope that if we can stay up he might do a decent job in the summer transfer window and stop our decline.

3 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Definitely a lot better. Whether there is enough improvement remains to be seen.  Coulibaly looked better than I expected in the reserve match against Celtic, If he is motivated and gets fit could be key.

Saturday is a big test and will probably give a good indication of the way things will go.  With so few games left the manager and players need to get things right straight away.

Caldwell certainly appeared to spot the problem areas in the team and his transfers in and out give hope that if we can stay up he might do a decent job in the summer transfer window and stop our decline.

I agree , look a bit better especially in the defence but can’t help thinking the signings of 30 somethings of Harkins , Cardle and Stephen Anderson are just stop gaps to get us out of the mess we’re in . Still short up front for me , think Dundee Utd signed Sow and Pawlett who both would have been good signings.

With exception of Eskine we haven't lost anyone who was contributing. We've made a lot of signings and on early evidence they'll improve us. So I'm confident that we're in a better place, time will tell though.

Agree that it was an exercise in keeping us up. I'm okay with that. It's what we needed. I think any pre season promises or bluster on Caldwell's appointment has to be left behind by everyone, and the focus be on the battle ahead. 

18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No ideas of the ins and outs but it looks like guys like Lee Erwin and Sofia Moussa are not attached to any team now. If we are still light in numbers I’m presuming they could be signed?

Great shout this! There will probably be a few players free after the window, which also means their pay demands may be lowere. Someone like Erwin would b a decent addition. We are much stronger now than at the end of December add to that the dramatic improvement in Elliott and Spittal and things look promising 

We're going to have to be stronger - much stronger. All but two of our points have been gained at home. Only six of our remaining fourteen league games are at home, four of them against the top four in the league table, all of whom won on their previous visit to Firhill this season. Indeed, if all our remaining fixtures produce the same result as the first time round, we will gain a further five points, with a total of 24 points, one more than Alloa have already. A 100% improvement would give us ten points and a total of 29, one less than the total that consigned Dumbarton to a doomed play-offs campaign last season. Even a 200% improvement, for 15 and 34, would probably not be enough, given that none of the teams in the bottom half shows any sign of going on a Brechin type run of defeats that would come to our aid.

We can only hope that the new recruits will contribute sufficiently to turn things around, starting on Saturday.

Big improvement in the squad. Caldwell has done well. 

Coulibaly coming back is a huge boost for us. With also Aidan we have two players that can change a game out of nothing. 

I said the two big signings were going to be a center back and a big striker. We did the center back but never got the striker we need. Still could get an out of contract player so will need to wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We replaced a lot of players who had a losing mentality. So far the new guys have shown some fighting spirit, although we need to convert that into results or it could fall away again. 

Majority of the players who have left have hardly played this season under Caldwell 

Only time will tell but if we take the Keown / Anderson swap on paper looks a bad deal (swapping a 23 year old for a 33 year old) but anybody who has seen either play over the last 18 months would agree that the heart and desire that Anderson plays with is something that our back line has lacked in our descent down the league.

As a supporter just not having to watch Keown, Bell, Ntambwe, Mutombo again has been the positive of the week.

40 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Elliott, Penrice, Slater , Bannigan , Spiittal Fitzpatrick, Doolan and Storey will all play on Saturday 

If Cardle is fit, he will play probably in place of Storey and Harkins will start probably at the expense of Fitzpatrick. The question is will McMillan replace Elliot or keep his place in central defence. Anderson may not be ready to play as he is only joining us today.