V Inverness

Alan Murray

3 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Actually pleased to hear this.

Other teams adopt tactics that we don’t. Referees are so poor that they never pull them up.

But I dont like Fake Thistle calling us ‘Partick’.

Going off on a tangent and not exactly our problem but I'm fairly certain prior to amalgamation the better supported club was Inverness Caledonian.  I find it hard understanding that an Inverness Caledonian supporter appreciates his new club being known as "Thistle", "Inverness Thistle" or the "Inverness Jags". So maybe if it's rubbing a lot of them up the wrong way use calling them the The Thistle might be working in our favour. 

19 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Wasn't at the game. But if we have become more streetwise, not a minute to soon. We have been a soft touch for to long imo.

Spot on, Auld Jag.

Has enraged me for years seeing all the usual suspects engaging in all the usual dirty tricks, refs not doing anything about it and said teams profiting from it, while we scamper about like naive schoolboys wishing the ref would enforce the rules of the game for once.

Did the crossbar save Ando's blushes when Inverness scored from the rebound? That would have been quite a debut.

As much as I like Christie Elliott as a squad member it worries me when he's the last man at right back.  The Inverness winger

had all the time in the world to put in a telling cross for their goal. Need to keep things much tighter than that if we're to make progress in this league.

Btw Christie must have been relieved that his attempted header on goal fell in to the path of Ando for our goal. He was given a free header right in front

of goal and it looks as though his weak effort was going wide.  Anyway, onwards and upwards.

3 hours ago, dunmorejag said:

Still not seen one. What's the point of this thread if those of us not able to go to the game can't find out how the team played?

Are you having a go at people who went to the game because they aren't writing a match report for you?

34 minutes ago, allyo said:

Are you having a go at people who went to the game because they aren't writing a match report for you?

No I'm not having a go at anyone. Usually 3 or 4 people who were at the game volunteer their views on who played well who didn't etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in this. I don't expect a full match report personalised for me.

Edited by dunmorejag

18 minutes ago, dunmorejag said:

No I'm not having a go at anyone. Usually 3 or 4 people who were at the game volunteer their views on who played well who didn't etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in this. I don't expect a full match report personalised for me.

Yeah okay. I was being a bit arsey

Will make belated attempt at quick summing up of how the team played. To be fair on all of us who attended and have not posted, it was a difficult game to report on, as much of it was thoroughly unmemorable. A shallow shelving end stand means that you are quite far away from the pitch to start with, and the way the game panned out almost all of the action was at the far end and consequently difficult to see.

In the first half Inverness had an attack that lasted far longer than it should have, as we kept presenting the ball back to them until Hazard finally gathered a bouncing long range shot which could have been awkward. In the second half Storey broke into the box and had a clear sight of goal but was closed down and blocked off before he could pull the trigger. And that was about it in terms of the major action we saw close up.  The result was everything on Saturday. It was nothing like the classic 4-0 demolition of a then very strong Inverness team, with Ryan Stevenson and Gary Fraser leading the way, or even the 3-2 win with the Buchanan double and Archie's goal of the century, running the length of the pitch with two 1-2s and slotting the ball home, before the team had to hang on as a sickness bug led to players dropping like flies. I could probably even now remember more of these two games than what happened a couple of days ago.

Hazard was solid, although I would like to see him claiming more crosses. He did not have any difficult saves to make, and had no chance with the goal.

Elliot was combative, covered well for other players and made one superb crunching tackle.He might have done more to stop the cross for the goal, but that is perhaps being  a bit harsh.

Penrice was again in timid mode and even though he was a wing back with less defensive duties, he was still not attacking the box and the byeline  with the elan he was showing earlier in the season. Was unlucky that conceding possession at the corner flag led to a goal at the other end, but very lucky that his misjudged header at the death confused the Inverness striker who let the ball bounce off him to safety. However, bonus points for managing to slip some dry humour about Christie Elliott into his pre-match Jagzone interview! 

Anderson was the epitome of the experienced and commanding centre back and it was impressive how in his first game he could take control of the situation and talk everyone else through. His goal was a welcome bonus and assuming that his fitness will improve to enable him to last 90 minutes, the only concern would be his lack of pace. Just not sure if he could be so effective as one of two rather than three centre backs, and that might limit our options if we wanted to field a more attacking formation.

Saunders and McMillan (like Anderson) are very reassuring and intelligent players. No doubt they are not perfect, but they seem less prone to the crazy goal-conceding mistakes that have dogged previous centre backs this season. All the defenders willing to take a booking for the team, so a certain level of streetwiseness, but of course you can only do that once each per game, and even then suspensions will come knocking.

Bannigan and Slater composed, and combined well for the first goal. Controlled the game first half, but seemed to fall out of things in the second half. There was a lengthy worrying period when we continually handed back possession, and perhaps we were looking for one, the other or both of them to step forward and keep the ball to close down the game  in the manner of Banzo's classic performance away against St Johnstone in the week before his serious injury.

McCarthy made a few tackles, though otherwise had little noteworthy impression on the game and could not improve the ball retention. Harkins took time to settle, but once he did he began to get on the ball and helped see out the last minute by running round 3 Inverness players.

Spittal was popping up all over the place in the first half and had a few attempts at goal. Cannot remember seeing much of him in the second half but I am sure that he was grafting away in the manner he has done of late.

Fitzpatrick took his goal brilliantly and did really well not to foul the Inverness player who lost control of the ball. He also set up Spittal well in the first half. Otherwise he was fairly quiet, but you always feel that when he bursts into the action he is going to achieve something.  Storey was his normal self, a few mazy runs with  little end product. In the second half, neither forward player was able to keep the ball down the other end of the park for any length of time.

Reading it back, the above sounds a bit more negative than it is meant to be. There were no outstanding performances, but there was plenty to appreciate, especially in the first half. The second half was uninspiring but the team held together. Job done and done well, but no reason to get carried away.

Fantastic to celebrate an away victory, and that long dark journey down the A9 is totally transformed by the warm glow of success.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Will make belated attempt at quick summing up of how the team played. To be fair on all of us who attended and have not posted, it was a difficult game to report on, as much of it was thoroughly unmemorable. A shallow shelving end stand means that you are quite far away from the pitch to start with, and the way the game panned out almost all of the action was at the far end and consequently difficult to see.

In the first half Inverness had an attack that lasted far longer than it should have, as we kept presenting the ball back to them until Hazard finally gathered a bouncing long range shot which could have been awkward. In the second half Storey broke into the box and had a clear sight of goal but was closed down and blocked off before he could pull the trigger. And that was about it in terms of the major action we saw close up.  The result was everything on Saturday. It was nothing like the classic 4-0 demolition of a then very strong Inverness team, with Ryan Stevenson and Gary Fraser leading the way, or even the 3-2 win with the Buchanan double and Archie's goal of the century, running the length of the pitch with two 1-2s and slotting the ball home, before the team had to hang on as a sickness bug led to players dropping like flies. I could probably even now remember more of these two games than what happened a couple of days ago.

Hazard was solid, although I would like to see him claiming more crosses. He did not have any difficult saves to make, and had no chance with the goal.

Elliot was combative, covered well for other players and made one superb crunching tackle.He might have done more to stop the cross for the goal, but that is perhaps being  a bit harsh.

Penrice was again in timid mode and even though he was a wing back with less defensive duties, he was still not attacking the box and the byeline  with the elan he was showing earlier in the season. Was unlucky that conceding possession at the corner flag led to a goal at the other end, but very lucky that his misjudged header at the death confused the Inverness striker who let the ball bounce off him to safety. However, bonus points for managing to slip some dry humour about Christie Elliott into his pre-match Jagzone interview! 

Anderson was the epitome of the experienced and commanding centre back and it was impressive how in his first game he could take control of the situation and talk everyone else through. His goal was a welcome bonus and assuming that his fitness will improve to enable him to last 90 minutes, the only concern would be his lack of pace. Just not sure if he could be so effective as one of two rather than three centre backs, and that might limit our options if we wanted to field a more attacking formation.

Saunders and McMillan (like Anderson) are very reassuring and intelligent players. No doubt they are not perfect, but they seem less prone to the crazy goal-conceding mistakes that have dogged previous centre backs this season. All the defenders willing to take a booking for the team, so a certain level of streetwiseness, but of course you can only do that once each per game, and even then suspensions will come knocking.

Bannigan and Slater composed, and combined well for the first goal. Controlled the game first half, but seemed to fall out of things in the second half. There was a lengthy worrying period when we continually handed back possession, and perhaps we were looking for one, the other or both of them to step forward and keep the ball to close down the game  in the manner of Banzo's classic performance away against St Johnstone in the week before his serious injury.

McCarthy made a few tackles, though otherwise had little noteworthy impression on the game and could not improve the ball retention. Harkins took time to settle, but once he did he began to get on the ball and helped see out the last minute by running round 3 Inverness players.

Spittal was popping up all over the place in the first half and had a few attempts at goal. Cannot remember seeing much of him in the second half but I am sure that he was grafting away in the manner he has done of late.

Fitzpatrick took his goal brilliantly and did really well not to foul the Inverness player who lost control of the ball. He also set up Spittal well in the first half. Otherwise he was fairly quiet, but you always feel that when he bursts into the action he is going to achieve something.  Storey was his normal self, a few mazy runs with  little end product. In the second half, neither forward player was able to keep the ball down the other end of the park for any length of time.

Reading it back, the above sounds a bit more negative than it is meant to be. There were no outstanding performances, but there was plenty to appreciate, especially in the first half. The second half was uninspiring but the team held together. Job done and done well, but no reason to get carried away.

Fantastic to celebrate an away victory, and that long dark journey down the A9 is totally transformed by the warm glow of success.

Great stuff thanks ptd. Good to see the new guys are making a difference

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Thanks ptd.:worship::fan: