East Fife v Jags, 9/2/19

sandy

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

A couple of words that should be pined on our dressing room wall on Saturday  "  remember Newport County.." .just in case we think  that we have just  to turn up  and the tie is ours.....................

I think that "remember East Fife" would suffice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

No that was a Glasgow cup tie, at least 6 years earlier. Ronnie Glavin, Denis McQuade etc were playing. Cracker of a game we won 5-3.

Big Willie McVie ,Clyde centre half ,and generally a dirty big B, complaining to the referee about the treatment he was getting from our centre forward, Eddie Prudham.

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Big Willie McVie ,Clyde centre half ,and generally a dirty big B, complaining to the referee about the treatment he was getting from our centre forward, Eddie Prudham.

Eddie Prudham? Now there's a guy if we had managed to sign him we would've managed to top ten to get into the new Premier League. But still, at least later on we got Doug Somner.

Edited by Garscube Road End

On 2/6/2019 at 2:11 PM, sick in the basin said:

Am I right I’m thinking this was made all the sweeter by the first replay being abandoned when the floodlights failed at Shawfield whilst we were 2-1 down. The 6-0 game was one of my first away games ....happy days :)

Was at both these games. What a great laugh.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:03 AM, Garscube Road End said:

Eddie Prudham? Now there's a guy if we had managed to sign him we would've managed to top ten to get into the new Premier League. But still, at least later on we got Doug Somner.

What a  player doug was, cross from houston, somner just seemed to hang in the air, every time bobby crossed and doug was in the box you expected a goal. Jim melrose was a fine striker too but not as good in the air.

After Melrose left Thistle one of his clubs was charlton. A group of friends and i went to London, would've been mid 80's. We principally went to see westie and doddsie play their debuts for chelsea after they left Thistle from their loan period. Somehow we ended up staying for several weeks couch surfing with strangers (happy carefree days). Point is, we somehow ended up at selhurst park for charlton v west ham. Melrose was playing on the right wing right in front of us late in the second half and stood right in front of us to take a throw in. He had to stop mid throw cos we started singing "thistle reject" in extremely exaggerated glasgow accents, big nobby was wearing a Thistle top under his jacket which he exposed to jim melrose who immediately burst out laughing. A few "one jim melroses" later earned us the finger!!! Happy times

Harkins has got to come back into the team for this one. His physicality in midfield will be needed as I reckon East Fife will turn this into a proper old fashioned cup tie. They play very direct so second balls will be key. 

It's a very tight park and they have done well this season in the cups. 

Would like to see Coulibaly start also - he needs games to see if we can get him back to the form he showed for Kilmarnock. If he does we have a player on our hands. 

Edited by Alan Murray

2 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Harkins has got to come back into the team for this one. His physicality in midfield will be needed as I reckon East Fife will turn this into a proper old fashioned cup tie. They play very direct so second balls will be key. 

It's a very tight park and they have done well this season in the cups. 

Would like to see Coulibaly start also - he needs games to see if we can get him back to the form he showed for Kilmarnock. If he does we have a player on our hands. 

Harkins isn’t a physical player. He’s a big guy, but that isn’t the same as being physical. I’d argue an old fashioned style cup tie is absolutely not suited to Harkins. 

I’m also not sure an important cup tie is the right time to play Coulibaly purely to get his fitness up. We need our best 11 on the park, not guys who aren’t up to speed - he can get that through reserve/closed door games. 

• Like 1

I'm sure we'd all like to see a Doolan hat trick in the first half so that we can rest him and bring Coulibaly on to showboat his own hat trick in the second 45.

In reality, I suspect we'll be looking more at the midfield and winning the second balls through Banzo and Slater.  If he's ready, this game might suit McCarthy. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:13 PM, FleetwoodJagreborn said:

Think your correct. Was it not on our run to the Semi final with the badger disallowed goal. Disgraceful decision as was never offside.

Still raging about this and getting cans of pish thrown at us from above from h*ns in the old North Stand

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Very impressed by Miles mentioning "Narnia" in his JagZone interview. Would not have thought of him as being a literary type, but he must like a good Storey.

Any ideas?

Maybe "The Lion, The Fitz and the Wardrobe" and the sequel "Prince Bannigan"?

Can forget about the Wardrobe. Storey isn't exactly a tall boy.

I'd like to have seen Cardle play in this as he has energy and dig as well as skill but it looks like it will be 2-3 weeks before he's available, assuming no setbacks.

BTW, I agree with poster above, no Coulibaly at the start as it could be tough but if we get a comfortable lead bring him on for the last half hour.

Edited by Mr Bunny

As an old timer, I remember East Fife were a bit of a bogy team to Thistle, Saying that, EF were a top team in the fifties winning  the league cup on at least a couple of times. They also had a couple of Scottish caps playing for them. The left back and captain Sammy Stewart? was bald,fat and slow but Thistle fans were baffled when seeing a race for the ball the Highland flyer [Johnny MacKenzie] could not beat him to the ball. But closer attention to the duel, thistle fans realised as soon as the ball went over the top, Sammy would link his arm with  Mac kenzies.He got away with it for years.

Anyone remember big Wullie Brown who played for East Fife in the 1990’s. Owned a pub in Dundee, hard as nails, once tried to have a square go with an Away fan who shouted something at him from the terrace; his team mates had to haul Wullie out of the stand.

Now that was a real footballer....