East Fife v Jags, 9/2/19

sandy

10 hours ago, sandy said:

Call it controversial, maybe we would want to develop our own goalie rather than a loan one?

I think the time to be developing our own players is when we are safe. We  are still deep in the relegation battle. Caldwell is right when he says we need to make sure our forward momentum continues. 

2 hours ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Pretty sure that’s only the case for goal kicks - not for today’s scenario where the ball was in play.

The result is the only thing that matters in the cup, so I’m delighted. A home draw against anyone outside of Celtic/Rangers if they progress, please. If it’s an away tie then I wouldn’t mind Hibernian, they’ll have a fairly new manager at that point and who knows what they’ll be like. Or Inverness CT away.

I fear we may get Dundee Utd away.

There are a couple of old Cup games at Hampden against East Fife in the 50s on Youtube. I noticed that each time we didn't play in our traditional red and yellow hoops, yet there was clearly no colour clash. Anybody know why this happened, or what were the colours of this jersey? Was it worn on any other occasion?

ETA: Hmm, Based on the official history book, this must be the 49-50 season, but the book says the game was played at Ibrox. Looks like Hampden to me in the clip...

Edited by Jaggernaut

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

My mate is a registered referee. When we saw the Arbroath game abandoned due to high winds he commented that if the wind either blew back towards a keeper into his hands or the goal it should be given as a corner kick .

Off the Ball were discussing this before the game. (Spooky). The ex ref on the show said it should be an indirect free kick.

10 hours ago, jaggy said:

Brutal to watch, strong wind and artificial pitch is a bad combination, very glad to get through. Not sure what to hope for in the draw, home game v RC/ICT? Or big money away to either of the OF? 

Looking forward to C****c at Firhill and our fans cheering the pyrotechnic entertainment. :whistling:

Edited by scotty

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

There are a couple of old Cup games at Hampden against East Fife in the 50s on Youtube. I noticed that each time we didn't play in our traditional red and yellow hoops, yet there was clearly no colour clash. Anybody know why this happened, or what were the colours of this jersey? Was it worn on any other occasion?

ETA: Hmm, Based on the official history book, this must be the 49-50 season, but the book says the game was played at Ibrox. Looks like Hampden to me in the clip...

Definitely not Ibrox and (taking a punt) definitely not Thistle and East Fife.  Looks to me as if it's the other semi-final the same day (Rangers v QOS) at Hampden which ended 1-1.

Edited by a f kincaid

51 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

Nope, not just you. Hazard no major improvement on Sneddon. He's just playing behind a solid defence. 

He is - look at the save first couple of minutes at qos at home - I can’t see sneddon getting that, also not convinced hazard would have done the ludicrous thing that sneddon did in that goal for Morton at the Firhill game 

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He is - look at the save first couple of minutes at qos at home - I can’t see sneddon getting that, also not convinced hazard would have done the ludicrous thing that sneddon did in that goal for Morton at the Firhill game 

Did Hazard not do a ludicrous thing yesterday? 

I wouldn't go so far as to say our goalkeeping is a real worry but ideally you don't want to have both 1st team keepers young and relatively inexperienced. Different entirely having young lads playing outfield in crunch games, there's always a few older heads to help them out. Young goalies don't have that luxury.

Hopefully Hazard if fit retains the jersey. Otherwise if he's dropped it's likely to be due to a confidence issue. Sneddon, who may well not even be risked in reserve games, can do nothing to get his place back. Such is the way of keepers. Totally hypothetical but had we not got a new back three I can easily see the logic in playing Sneddon yesterday. If Hazard becomes unavailable for any reason ideally you want your other keeper to have had recent game time.

I know he’s the first name on the team sheet and I know he comes across as a nice honest lad and I appreciate he gives 110% in every game and I know he is very fast and strong but I’m afraid Storey just hasn’t got it. If we have any real ideas of progression in cup or league we need to find better. Watching him yesterday just confirms that. He can’t cross the ball or score goals. If he is going to continue as first pick he should be getting hour after hour of coaching on at least one of these two aspects of his game.

We’ve definitely turned a corner and I’m getting the old buzz back but attacking options remain a concern for the big games we have coming up.

6 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I know he’s the first name on the team sheet and I know he comes across as a nice honest lad and I appreciate he gives 110% in every game and I know he is very fast and strong but I’m afraid Storey just hasn’t got it. If we have any real ideas of progression in cup or league we need to find better. Watching him yesterday just confirms that. He can’t cross the ball or score goals. If he is going to continue as first pick he should be getting hour after hour of coaching on at least one of these two aspects of his game.

We’ve definitely turned a corner and I’m getting the old buzz back but attacking options remain a concern for the big games we have coming up.

Do you not think they are coaching him on this? 

On current form Storey gets released at the end of the season but don't discount the value of the hard work he puts in. Or that of his pace that gets the ball up the park. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Do you not think they are coaching him on this? 

On current form Storey gets released at the end of the season but don't discount the value of the hard work he puts in. Or that of his pace that gets the ball up the park. 

I don't see him getting released at the end of the season given the amount of starts he gets.

I could get the ball up the park even quicker if I ask my defenders to close their eyes and boot it as hard as they can whenever they get it.

Ideally I would prefer an end result like a good cross or a goal or at the very least retain possession.

18 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Rank game to watch so just delighted to be in next round - well done the team and management. 

Whoever brought in the pyro needs to get in the sea though - daft wee boys who will have cost the club a fine. If you’re going to bring pyro try not to throw it on your fellow fans. 

****** thing landed on the seat in front of me. Highly dangerous. *********. 

3 hours ago, sandy said:

To be fair, Hazard is pretty good and has a commanding presence. I’d just like us to develop Sneddon further.

I would also like us to develop our own players. The position we find ourselves in we need to field the strongest team possible. Also the final score proves that Caldwell did the correct thing, a few younger players in the team and we could have lost. Hopefully being unbeaten this Calendar year will give us confidence to go on and pull away from the relegation zone. If we end up not really playing for anything with a few games to go, we might see some of the fringe players getting a run out then.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Hazard is a better keeper than Sneddon. His decision making is poor but that will come for him. He is a huge presence in the goals and I see a big future for him. 

Jamie is a good young keeper but that goal against Morton really was poor stuff.

So far looks like a good move by Caldwell for Hazard. 

Don't think you can underestimate how difficult it must've been for a young keeper coming in to a side in such disarray, especially from a defensive point of view. Central defence was changing on a weekly basis and Elliot wasn't quite at his best either. Pretty sure Sneddon would be coping with everything just as well as Hazard is with the current set-up. They are both good young keepers with big futures, but as someone stated earlier, it's not ideal to have two keepers like that as your 1 and 2. Couldve understood an older more experienced keeper coming in but not ideal benching you're own talent in favour of another clubs. 

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Whoever's responsible should be forking out. If the Club's made to pay it's effectively costing us fans somewhere down the line. 

It also damages our club's generally good image, and prejudices our ability to occupy any moral high ground that might be available.

"Followers of big Glasgow team think that they are so important and untouchable that it is clever and/or funny to go to the stadium of a 'wee team' and treat it with contempt". We have complained bitterly when we have been on the receiving end of this, and  it is sad that we end up putting ourselves in the same camp as the bully/billy b(h)oys.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

It also damages our club's generally good image, and prejudices our ability to occupy any moral high ground that might be available.

"Followers of big Glasgow team think that they are so important and untouchable that it is clever and/or funny to go to the stadium of a 'wee team' and treat it with contempt". We have complained bitterly when we have been on the receiving end of this, and  it is sad that we end up putting ourselves in the same camp as the bully/billy b(h)oys.

Ran out of likes, again.

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

****** thing landed on the seat in front of me. Highly dangerous. *********. 

Lucky nobody was hurt. Embarrassing all round (do we play in purple?).

Pyro has its place, but it’s place is generally with the ultras of Italy and Eastern Europe, not the post-industrial apocalyptic landscape of Methil and certainly not in the hands of 14 year olds from Hyndland. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What struck me (apart from a scything wind, of course!) was how ill-prepared the team looked for the pitch. Is it the case that Storey was wearing the same boots he wears on grass? If so, perhaps that's why he couldn't keep his feet and ended up injured. Until the second half, the players generally seemed to stand off the descending ball as if they could judge how it would bounce, but we should already know how inconsistent the bounce of plastic pitches is. The East Fife players, who play regularly on that pitch, didn't waste time watching but pounced on the ball, often gaining possession and the initiative. We have seen it often enough at New Douglas Park and Rugby Park, but it looked as if that experience was ignored.

When was the last time a Partick Thistle team played without a card being issued?