Alloa 16/02

BalornockJag

We're forced into playing narrow at Alloa but, assuming Saunders is fit, we can continue with three at the back and thus not be too inconvenienced. Fitzpatrick may well be the player most unsuited to the small pitch, unless played down the left, whilst Cardle may not be risked returning on an artificial surface.

Think we might go with a full compliment in midfield (Harkins at the back with Spittal  & Banzo played slightly wide all behind Slater). Doolan is I feel best suited to play the lone striker role.

19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We're forced into playing narrow at Alloa but, assuming Saunders is fit, we can continue with three at the back and thus not be too inconvenienced. Fitzpatrick may well be the player most unsuited to the small pitch, unless played down the left, whilst Cardle may not be risked returning on an artificial surface.

Think we might go with a full compliment in midfield (Harkins at the back with Spittal  & Banzo played slightly wide all behind Slater). Doolan is I feel best suited to play the lone striker role.

Is there any evidence to support the theory that player's are more likely to pick up an injury on an artificial pitch? 

3 hours ago, sandy said:

This game will be a good measure of our progress. Horrible plastic pitch tho.

But we need to reel Alloa (and Falkirk) in to climb off the bottom and towards at least 8th. So 3 points are must to show our intentions.

Agree. If we have turned the corner(what a long corner that was/is), this is a game we should win. If we haven't turned that corner, we will be back to giving a team on a losing streak a much needed win.

2 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Is there any evidence to support the theory that player's are more likely to pick up an injury on an artificial pitch? 

That's a different matter to what I was posting. Players returning from injury routinely avoid playing their first game back on such surfaces. Older players especially.

In general I'd be surprised if injuries aren't more prevalent on artificial surfaces. I also believe they're aggravated more playing on them. As elder players particularly dislike them it's not a quantum leap to suggest iit could shorten a playing career. However as i say that wasn't the point I was making.

We have had quite a lot of long term injuries since New Douglas Park almost 4 years ago and I can't remember any on an artificial surface. Possibly I'm wrong about that. It just strikes me that if that type of surface did contribute to injury it would be a disaster for clubs that had that such a pitch. I just don't get the impression that these clubs, for instance Kilmarnock, have any bigger problem than the majority of clubs. 

So after the euphoria of defeating League 1 East Fife, we go into a must win game (yes, another one). 3 points gets us off the bottom and importantly, puts Alloa there, from which they might not recover. A draw or a win for them gives them the confidence that they can finish above us.

C’mon the Jags!!

13 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

We have had quite a lot of long term injuries since New Douglas Park almost 4 years ago and I can't remember any on an artificial surface. Possibly I'm wrong about that. It just strikes me that if that type of surface did contribute to injury it would be a disaster for clubs that had that such a pitch. I just don't get the impression that these clubs, for instance Kilmarnock, have any bigger problem than the majority of clubs. 

Nothing conclusive of course just one player's view https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3843905/steven-smith-kilmarnock-rugby-park-astro-secretly-hate/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1549458436

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Well the jist of the article is that players don't like that type of pitch, which I fully understand. I don't like these pitches myself and would much rather see football played on grass. Just don't believe that injuries are any more or less likely to occur on them and don't see any reason not to play Cardle if he's ready.