Scott Macdonald

javeajag

2 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Sneddon has also signed a new deal.

Good news certainly not the finished article- also shows how professional he is compared to calamity bell who was off moaning about not being given a game - by contrast Jamie is working on improving his game. Also possibly contradicts bells claim that he had to console sneddon through being dropped  and not likely to be under the managers plans. Yeah so much so that he was offered a new deal and sneddon was obviously so upset with Caldwell that he signed it. 

Think bell could learn quite a bit from sneddon in terms of fitness and attitude 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I am perplexed by the signing given that we already have 4 or 5 strikers on the books. It may be that Coulibaly isn’t rated but he is still under contract isn’t he ?

What has changed Scott MacDonalds mind. In January he said that he wanted to concentrate on his media career.

Hope it is an inspired signing.

Reckon worth pointing out that we were bringing in another striker up until the 11th hour of the transfer window. Roy & Mansell were already signed and I doubt very much Coulibaly was being moved on.

I'm clueless as to the logic of why we signed two strikers and were still looking for a third, but with McDonald joining us it's fair to assume his signing is not a case of over provision in our manager's mind at least.

I really don't see the problem with having too many strikers. I reckon Mansell is a freebie, Roy won't be on much either imo. I get the feeling if Coulibaly makes an appearance it would cost more than we are willing to fork out at the moment, maybe when we thought we could be promoted we were willing to pay this as it would maybe even it's self out with the rewards of promotion.

Also Doolan has struggled so .. would i prefer us having McDonald or not between now and the end of the season ?? 

Question answers its self.

Oh and over the last few years we have had a terrible lack in options up front, it's nice to us heavy up top.

Edited by Thistle88

5 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

I really don't see the problem with having too many strikers. I reckon Mansell is a freebie, Roy won't be on much either imo. I get the feeling if Coulibaly makes an appearance it would cost more than we are willing to fork out at the moment, maybe when we thought we could be promoted we were willing to pay this as it would maybe even it's self out with the rewards of promotion.

Also Doolan has struggled so .. would i prefer us having McDonald or not between now and the end of the season ?? 

Question answers its self.

Oh and over the last few years we have had a terrible lack in options up front, it's nice to us heavy up top.

Not disagreeing but by far our greatest problem first half of the season was in not creating scoring chances as opposed to wasting opportunities. If you accept that then it would be fair to say that any additional signing up front has to offer more than simply being handy sticking the ball in the net. With regards to that from what I've seen of McDonald in the latter part of his career is encouraging. He looks a player that can create a goal for another to score. 

Good signing, imo. 16 goals for an atrocious Yinited side last season.

Means GC has added experience to the defence, midfield and attack since January window opened.

He might not start in the next couple of weeks but he's capable of nabbing a goal or two off of the bench.

Put it this way. I'm glad he's signed for us rather than the likes of Morton, Falkirk or Dunfermline.

An excellent signing, and one that Caldwell should be give credit for, far better he plays for us than any of the other teams at the bottom of the table.

An intelligent man and a good example for some of our younger players.

I hope he gets a run out in the reserves on Monday against Motherwell, will be interesting if he, Coulibaly, Mansell and Roy all get some match time. This will be an ideal test for our forward line options