Ross County 23.2.19

westertonjagfan

1 hour ago, Ancipital said:

At the very latest it was the 0-6 vs Celtic in 2014. 

Think the last time I can remember us losing from 2-0 up was against... Ross County in the 2001/02 season, we were 2-0 up after about 5 minutes as well. Might have been a more recent one though. 

That game  came to mind at half time today. A few fans said to me we were closing in on a play off place. I said we hadn't won yet and  if there was to be more goals in the second half it could prove important. If we scored and made it 3-0 hopefully that would be game over. But if they scored and made it 2-1, depending when it was it could end up being a different result. Well we all know what happened. If we don't want relegated we cant repeat that second half.

10 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Our WHOLE midfield was awful second half. Harkins I agree worst offender, but Slater non existent, banjo sideways passing I'm afraid and spittal had a mare. Perfect storm ergo we got beat.

The worrying thing is that there were no midfielders on the bench and I don’t think we have any that weren’t in the squad apart from McCarthy 

Very good question Madcapmilkdrinker.  Maybe his judgement was clouded by the good midfield performance last week at Alloa (for most of the match).  However against full time league leaders, Harkins' age was  badly exposed after about 60 mins, and that should have been predicted by Caldwell.  Bringing on Macdonald for Doolan solved nothing since by then there was no ball reaching any of the attacking midfielders, and Bannigan's departure made things much worse with no equivalent replacement.  Why Coulibaly warms up the bench without being used - either yesterday or at Alloa is beyond me.

Why has Callum Wilson been sent on loan to Elgin when we don't have any midfield cover at all at the minute?

As soon as County got their first, only one team was going to win it.

We absolutey chucked it.

Spittal has been brilliant recently but he was either injured or just not up for it in the second half. Countless times he ambled back down the left as the County right back took off.

Steven Anderson has had plenty of plaudits but he was very poor from the off yesterday.

If Harkins can't get himself fit enough to last the game then we've got to think about benching him. He was a man down in the second half, the decision for Doolan to go off before him was wrong.

I actually thought Doolan was having a decent game, holding the ball up well and making things difficult for the RC defence.

I've yet to see what Hazard brings to the team to justify getting a game ahead of Sneddon. He's glued to his line, offers no confidence to his backline.

I thought Slater was the only midfielder to get pass marks, kept plugging away as the rest folded beside him.

A big reality check for the team, we're far from out of trouble and if the attitude displayed in the second half is a sign of things to come then League 1 football won't be far away.

Huge game on Tuesday night.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Before I ask this question, I’ll point out that as a nomad I wasn’t at the game and I’m not a Archie or Caldwell apologist. Now that this forum’s  two main bones of contention are cleared up, why did  the  manager not name a midfielder on the substitutes bench? 

He doesn’t have one. McCarthy is injured and he put Wilson away on loan. Archie would be getting ruined for having an unbalanced squad on this point. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Over to you.T .J.R.  When was the last time we lost 4 goals in the 2nd half ?? I will say never...

Until TJR cranks up his machine...

I can offer you Third Lanark v PT at Cathkin on 24 March 1951.  Goals by Sharp and Crawford (penalty) gave Thistle a 2-0 h-t lead but even playing into the face of a blizzard Third Lanark had been the better side.  The 2nd half was a formality.  Final score PT 2 Third Lanark 4.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

Time to chill....

the objective was always to stay in the league 

as predicted at the start of the season bottom half is where we will be 

The clubs objective at the start of the season was promotion, their objective when they employed Caldwell was still promotion.

Most of us knew with the squad we started with avoiding relegation would be a big ask at start of season, even though the squad is better I still think we will struggle with the damage done prior to January 

1 hour ago, King Kenny said:

Why has Callum Wilson been sent on loan to Elgin when we don't have any midfield cover at all at the minute?

We absolutey chucked it.

Spittal has been brilliant recently but he was either injured or just not up for it in the second half. Countless times he ambled back down the left as the County right back took off.

Steven Anderson has had plenty of plaudits but he was very poor from the off yesterday.

If Harkins can't get himself fit enough to last the game then we've got to think about benching him. He was a man down in the second half, the decision for Doolan to go off before him was wrong.

I actually thought Doolan was having a decent game, holding the ball up well and making things difficult for the RC defence.

I've yet to see what Hazard brings to the team to justify getting a game ahead of Sneddon. He's glued to his line, offers no confidence to his backline.

I thought Slater was the only midfielder to get pass marks, kept plugging away as the rest folded beside him.

A big reality check for the team, we're far from out of trouble and if the attitude displayed in the second half is a sign of things to come then League 1 football won't be far away.

All ifs and buts , Doolan went off yesterday when we were leading 2 -1  ,thought he was doing ok ,Im not sure if Scott McDonald is a lone striker but looks as if he could play alongside Dools 

With the problems in midfield yesterday, Banzos injury etc , surely you would have even put Sean Mcginty to left back where he has played before and put James Penrice into a holding midfield role .  Huge game on Tuesday night .

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

That game  came to mind at half time today. A few fans said to me we were closing in on a play off place. I said we hadn't won yet and  if there was to be more goals in the second half it could prove important. If we scored and made it 3-0 hopefully that would be game over. But if they scored and made it 2-1, depending when it was it could end up being a different result. Well we all know what happened. If we don't want relegated we cant repeat that second half.

Worst second half capitulation I've ever seen. We just seemed to regress into our shells. Not one player rose or even attempted to rise to the challenge. Really scary performance after a good and encouraging period

2 hours ago, King Kenny said:

We absolutey chucked it.

Agree with all of this. Thought Caldwell was brave to try going 3 at the back in attempt to get a grip of the midfield an area we controlled in the 1st half.  Very significant that when Harkins tired we lost that control cos banzo was then forced to become more of a holding mid rather than creative which in turn allowed RC off the hook and able to control the midfield.

They were very strong 2nd half very impressive given the 2 hours they played the other night which shows they are fitter. What do they do that we aren't to achieve that level of fitness?

16 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Because those that don’t go to games are the most vocal on the forums about criticism of the club.

dont get me wrong after today’s second half capitulation the manager and players deserve savaged

but I have little time for people who could afford to go, who don’t have a huge distance to travel and can’t be bothered to support their team then are the first to get on the forum and criticise the team and worse actually slag off fans opinions who did go. In my opinion if you can afford to go, are in good health and don’t stay a huge distance away and simply can’t be bothered going then yes I think these peoples opinions of games are far less important than the ones that did go

What would the ‘right’ distance be - 5 miles? 10 miles? So, say a ‘fan’ (we’ll come to that bit in a minute) living in Clydebank who didn’t turn up at matches would be out of line, whereas one living Old Kilpatrick would be ok. Or Dumbarton. Or should it be travelling time instead of mileage, or even a more complex  ‘real’ fan matrix combining distance, time, driving effort, and fuel consumption. Please tell us.

On further consideration the idea has some mileage. Based on the above, and presided over by Third Lanark and similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers, a strict apartheid system of fan classification could be introduced. We could have ‘Über-fansch’ and ‘Ünter-fansch’.

Über-fans would, obviously, have the right to express any opinion at any time (providing it was loyal to the club and contained not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager), but would have to be subject to strict genetic scrutiny. One the genetically purest could become Über-fans. For instance, if your grandfather or great-grandfather had been an Ünter-fan, or there was any taint (tinge is probably a better word) of Ünter-fannery in your genetic make up, you would be excluded.

Ünter-fans, a lesser breed, would have their avatars clearly marked with a gold star, and would not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night, once the debate was largely over. Ünter-fans would also not be permitted to the wear any combination, or shades, of red, yellow and black in case they were mistaken for Über-fans.

Any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’ would render even an Über-fan liable to be stripped of his status for four generations.

• Haha 3

Sounds like we had a bad day yesterday. Well, a bad 2nd half.

Considering the fact it's our first loss this year, I'm feeling a bit disappointed but not disheartened.

I know it's 'fun' to pick everything apart and I guess that's what forums can be for but when I hear Thistle have lost 4-2, having been 2-0 up, I almost chuckle to myself, safe in the knowledge that my old team are back.

A cup quarter final, a seven game unbeaten run completely out of the blue and now a 4-2 defeat from an unassailable lead!!!!

This is the Thistle I know and love.

Hands up, who can't wait for the next game :nomads:

Not really any other way to describe that second half other than horrible! We were all over the place when we should have been set up to hit on the break.  Our shape was terrible and the space County had was simply ridiculous at times with little pressure on the ball. County were able to turn and run at our defence with ease. 

It does show clear weaknesses in our team. We lack a strong tackling midfielder and the target man striker. Both would have helped enormously yesterday. The fact we had no midfielder to bring on did not help either. Harkins played well but after 60 mins he was struggling with the pace of the game and should have went off earlier. It comes down to we did not have the personnel on the bench to replace him. 

We failed to cope with Stewart in the second half. He was dropping in the space between defence and midfield and nobody was able to match that.

Anderson has been great for us so far but he struggled a bit at times yesterday. McMillan also was poor and his inexperience really showed. 

We should not forget how good we were in the first half - we looked a cut above County and should have been further ahead. Need to learn lessons and hopefully
get back to winning ways. 

Still think there is plenty to be positive about though however the Dunfermline game is massive. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

What would the ‘right’ distance be - 5 miles? 10 miles? So, say a ‘fan’ (we’ll come to that bit in a minute) living in Clydebank who didn’t turn up at matches would be out of line, whereas one living Old Kilpatrick would be ok. Or Dumbarton. Or should it be travelling time instead of mileage, or even a more complex  ‘real’ fan matrix combining distance, time, driving effort, and fuel consumption. Please tell us.

On further consideration the idea has some mileage. Based on the above, and presided over by Third Lanark and similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers, a strict apartheid system of fan classification could be introduced. We could have ‘Über-fansch’ and ‘Ünter-fansch’.

Über-fans would, obviously, have the right to express any opinion at any time (providing it was loyal to the club and contained not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager), but would have to be subject to strict genetic scrutiny. One the genetically purest could become Über-fans. For instance, if your grandfather or great-grandfather had been an Ünter-fan, or there was any taint (tinge is probably a better word) of Ünter-fannery in your genetic make up, you would be excluded.

Ünter-fans, a lesser breed, would have their avatars clearly marked with a gold star, and would not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night, once the debate was largely over. Ünter-fans would also not be permitted to the wear any combination, or shades, of red, yellow and black in case they were mistaken for Über-fans.

Any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’ would render even an Über-fan liable to be stripped of his status for four generations.

Is haha appropriate? Great post nonetheless. I was at the game caller but have no greater right to an opinion than those that didn't couldn't wouldn't.....imho.

I think perhaps what third meant was that if you weren't at the game then you shouldn't be offering a performance / tactics  opinion? Am I being too charitable?