Ross County 23.2.19

westertonjagfan

12 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Sounds like we had a bad day yesterday. Well, a bad 2nd half.

Considering the fact it's our first loss this year, I'm feeling a bit disappointed but not disheartened.

I know it's 'fun' to pick everything apart and I guess that's what forums can be for but when I hear Thistle have lost 4-2, having been 2-0 up, I almost chuckle to myself, safe in the knowledge that my old team are back.

A cup quarter final, a seven game unbeaten run completely out of the blue and now a 4-2 defeat from an unassailable lead!!!!

This is the Thistle I know and love.

Hands up, who can't wait for the next game :nomads:

I wish I had your laissez-faire attitude Cotterjag.

I can't wait for Tuesday night just to get that game out my system and hopefully the players feel the same.

I'm still fizzing this morning at the inability our keeper to catch a ball, Spittal to strike a ball cleanly and with composure, Elliott to judge the required strength of a crossed ball, Caldwell's inability to recognise when Gary Harkness is blowing out his arse and thinking that replacing Doolan with Scott McDonald is a game changing move, and his apparent refusal to play Coulibaly when he's the obvious card to play.

Gary Harkness' defensive effort at County's third. lol

By the way, is there a fitness program problem at Firhill?  Despite a tough midweek cup game County ran us ragged in the

second half which is worrying.

Yep, roll on Tuesday.

22 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

I can't wait for Tuesday night just to get that game out my system and hopefully the players feel the same.

I'm still fizzing this morning at the inability our keeper to catch a ball, Spittal to strike a ball cleanly and with composure, Elliott to judge the required strength of a crossed ball, Caldwell's inability to recognise when Gary Harkness is blowing out his arse and thinking that replacing Doolan with Scott McDonald is a game changing move, and his apparent refusal to play Coulibaly when he's the obvious card to play.

By the way, is there a fitness program problem at Firhill?  Despite a tough midweek cup game County ran us ragged in the

Yep, roll on Tuesday.

I guess it depends on whether or not you see 45 minutes of the last 720 as a blip or a trend.

We might lose our next game, away from home, but I don't for a minute think we'll go down this season.

We're more likely to finish 6th than 10th.

I'd be more worried if I was a Morton fan.

13 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Over to you.T .J.R.  When was the last time we lost 4 goals in the 2nd half ?? I will say never...

Oh, it's happened alright, don't worry about that. Around 100 times in fact, mostly in the free scoring bygone days of old.

The latest three:
29.10.2014 Celtic [a] L0-6 | ht 0-1 (League Cup Quarter Final)
26.03.2014 Celtic [h] L1-5 | ht 0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 31)
23.01.2010 Dunfermline Athletic [h] L1-4 | ht 0-0 (SFL First Division - game 21)

The joint club-record:
12.12.1891 Northern [a] L4-9 | ht 4-2 (Scottish Alliance - game 11)
08.10.1892 Cowlairs [a] L3-8 | ht 0-1 (Scottish Alliance - game 5)

Thought our pressing game was awesome in the first half, County never had a minutes peace and our two goal lead came naturally as a result of that endeavour. Bizarrely, the second half was the exact opposite. County did all the pressing, our midfield disappeared, and our much-heralded new defence looked hopeless under the pressure. Could easily have been six. Caldwell, at least, seems to be watching the same game as me these days, but it remains to be seen if he can impress upon them that 90 minute mentality. And by the way, if a fit team, pressing all over the park for 90 minutes, is his game, why on earth are we fielding players who are clearly incapable of lasting the required 90 minutes?  He says some of the players will need to take a look at themselves in the mirror this morning; maybe he should be doing the same.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Yep, roll on Tuesday.

Ran out of likes again. Caldwell has stated our fitness has improved under his management. Didn't look like it yesterday. We have to hope as others have said the second half yesterday was a blip and maybe a wake up call to players and manager. We can't  just walk on the park to get a result, even if we are 2-0 up at half time. A football game lasts for 90 mins plus injury time.

We have to treat the 2nd half as an aberration.

We played brilliantly 1st half and should have been 4-0 up.

As soon as Spittal made his **** up, the heads went down and it reverted to same old. The manager seemed incapable of acting swiftly to stop the malaise which was evident to all which is concerning. Harkins was standing in the centre circle watching everyone run past him. Shocking that he wasn’t subbed after 47 minutes. We can’t afford a luxury player like that.

Not sure when Banzo picked up his injury but I’m very concerned as he’s by far our best player, imperious in that 1st half. If he played on with the  injury, added to Harkins’ immobility this could explain the midfield collapse.

Of course we are still in the mire but real progress has been made. We ain’t going to win every game. 

Saunders for McMillan and McDonald for Harkins will make a difference  but let’s hope Banzo’s injury isn’t too bad!

Caldwell must iron out the 2nd half deficiencies, address the issues but stress the progress made recently 

There was one thing yesterday that was different from other times we've thrown away a lead. TJR partly mentions this above. Normally when we get a lead we ease off the pressure going forward and invite our opponents on to us. Recently we've been more professional at that so less of a worry. But even at 2-0 yesterday we were pushing for a third goal and continued doing so right up till half time. Any neutral watching the game up to that point would be convinced if there was a third goal it would be for us.

Instead of directly after going one or two up, whatever went wrong yesterday went wrong at half time. Conversely County, who were all over the place prior to half time, came out a different side entirely.  I sincerely hope Caldwell's correct when he suggest complacency was to blame. Even the most naive of our players will now know we have **** all to be complacent about. It's now up to the manager, and to a lesser degree the experienced players, to instil a level of confidence thu the squad that verges nowhere near complacency. 

2 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Oh, it's happened alright, don't worry about that. Around 100 times in fact, mostly in the free scoring bygone days of old.

The latest three:
29.10.2014 Celtic [a] L0-6 | ht 0-1 (League Cup Quarter Final)
26.03.2014 Celtic [h] L1-5 | ht 0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 31)
23.01.2010 Dunfermline Athletic [h] L1-4 | ht 0-0 (SFL First Division - game 21)

The joint club-record:
12.12.1891 Northern [a] L4-9 | ht 4-2 (Scottish Alliance - game 11)
08.10.1892 Cowlairs [a] L3-8 | ht 0-1 (Scottish Alliance - game 5)

When we lost 7-3 at home to St Johnstone in the mid-80’s am I right in thinking we were 3-2 up? I think John Donnelly scored a back heeled overhead flick that day iirc

3 hours ago, dougie247 said:

wtf was the thistle player doing inside the goal with his back turned when the first goal went in.. shocking

I ranted about this a few pages up. It was McMillan, and from my view in the JLS he was literally cowering on the line (actually he retreated behind the line covering his face). I described it aa  possibly the most embarrassing thing I’ve seen on a football pitch. He still had a theoretical chance of blocking the shot, however small, and it seemed to me he absolutely shat it in a manner completely unacceptable for a player down the local rec, never mind a paid professional

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

47 minutes ago, jaggy said:

When we lost 7-3 at home to St Johnstone in the mid-80’s am I right in thinking we were 3-2 up? I think John Donnelly scored a back heeled overhead flick that day iirc

Indeed. Another classic second half collapse. :(

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/v+St+Johnstone+%28H%29+Nov+1984

7 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The clubs objective at the start of the season was promotion, their objective when they employed Caldwell was still promotion.

Most of us knew with the squad we started with avoiding relegation would be a big ask at start of season, even though the squad is better I still think we will struggle with the damage done prior to January 

Agreed ... the current squad if starting the season would be safe mid table 

6 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I guess it depends on whether or not you see 45 minutes of the last 720 as a blip or a trend.

We might lose our next game, away from home, but I don't for a minute think we'll go down this season.

Happy to take any reasonable odds on us finishing closer to 10th, if not actually 10th.

Haven't heard of any Morton fans on the Samaritan's helpline yet.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
made c--- of the first attempst - must have been the euphoria.

6 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I am not sure of that. Having just won our previous 3 league games,and not lost in 5 a bad half sees us rock bottom again. 

6 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

We have to treat the 2nd half as an aberration.

We played brilliantly 1st half and should have been 4-0 up.

As soon as Spittal made his **** up, the heads went down and it reverted to same old. The manager seemed incapable of acting swiftly to stop the malaise which was evident to all which is concerning. Harkins was standing in the centre circle watching everyone run past him. Shocking that he wasn’t subbed after 47 minutes. We can’t afford a luxury player like that.

Not sure when Banzo picked up his injury but I’m very concerned as he’s by far our best player, imperious in that 1st half. If he played on with the  injury, added to Harkins’ immobility this could explain the midfield collapse.

Of course we are still in the mire but real progress has been made. We ain’t going to win every game. 

Saunders for McMillan and McDonald for Harkins will make a difference  but let’s hope Banzo’s injury isn’t too bad!

Caldwell must iron out the 2nd half deficiencies, address the issues but stress the progress made recently 

WB, ur the only one to b concerned about banzo which is odd, he is by far our most consistently best player, and to all banzo fans, he tweaked his hamstring and thinks he's caught it in time, it's too early to say how long he'll be out if at all, not too serious 

15 minutes ago, Keepthebaw said:

WB, ur the only one to b concerned about banzo which is odd, he is by far our most consistently best player, and to all banzo fans, he tweaked his hamstring and thinks he's caught it in time, it's too early to say how long he'll be out if at all, not too serious 

Thanks for the update KTB.

Been there and done that - on the basis of what you're reporting, Banzo's out for the next two games at least.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure of that. Having just won our previous 3 league games,and not lost in 5 a bad half sees us rock bottom again. 

At one point it looked as if 2 or 3 clubs would become detached at the bottom, us being one of them.

Now any club in the league could finish 5th, barring I suppose the top 3.

There seems to be a lot of praise for the first half performance, but our two goals came from goalmouth scrambles, while several more obvious scoring opportunities were spurned. If the team had gone in with a score of, say, 4-0, which would have been possible, it would have taken a mighty effort from Ross County to overcome that, even if our team had simply packed the box. The team didn't produce a single clean strike or header to score in the first half. :(

37 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

There seems to be a lot of praise for the first half performance, but our two goals came from goalmouth scrambles, while several more obvious scoring opportunities were spurned. If the team had gone in with a score of, say, 4-0, which would have been possible, it would have taken a mighty effort from Ross County to overcome that, even if our team had simply packed the box. The team didn't produce a single clean strike or header to score in the first half. :(

It doesn’t really matter how they go in, though - we still made some chances. Fitzpatricks goal was as a result of a save from Doolan

Sandy, you must be Archie himself or his missus/mistress/child/mum/dad/cousin/brother. Every possibility you have there’s a sly wee dig at Caldwell. I’m not his greatest fan but you seem to give the suggestion we’d still be better off with Archie and his gang of utter duds he signed in the summer. Can you possibly deny the team is much improved since the garbage was shipped out in January? Some of Archie’s signings would still give you the shudder. Antonio German, eccleston, mukendi, piccolo, the Czech donkey in defence, Quitongo, ntwaembe, storer, Bell, mutumbo, mcginty, Jason banton, Azezz, bailey cargill, jake Carrol, Melbourne, ziggy Gordon, Pogba,Ben Richards Everton , Stuckmann. Half of these clowns aren’t even footballers. Archibald should have been sacked at least 18 months ago. He took us down with a whimper and is a big part of the reason we’re now in the crap