Ross County 23.2.19

westertonjagfan

16 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Sandy, you must be Archie himself or his missus/mistress/child/mum/dad/cousin/brother. Every possibility you have there’s a sly wee dig at Caldwell. I’m not his greatest fan but you seem to give the suggestion we’d still be better off with Archie and his gang of utter duds he signed in the summer. Can you possibly deny the team is much improved since the garbage was shipped out in January? Some of Archie’s signings would still give you the shudder. Antonio German, eccleston, mukendi, piccolo, the Czech donkey in defence, Quitongo, ntwaembe, storer, Bell, mutumbo, mcginty, Jason banton, Azezz, bailey cargill, jake Carrol, Melbourne, ziggy Gordon, Pogba,Ben Richards Everton , Stuckmann. Half of these clowns aren’t even footballers. Archibald should have been sacked at least 18 months ago. He took us down with a whimper and is a big part of the reason we’re now in the crap

You really believe Archibald should've been binned on or before August 2017?

8 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Sandy, you must be Archie himself or his missus/mistress/child/mum/dad/cousin/brother. Every possibility you have there’s a sly wee dig at Caldwell. I’m not his greatest fan but you seem to give the suggestion we’d still be better off with Archie and his gang of utter duds he signed in the summer. Can you possibly deny the team is much improved since the garbage was shipped out in January? Some of Archie’s signings would still give you the shudder. Antonio German, eccleston, mukendi, piccolo, the Czech donkey in defence, Quitongo, ntwaembe, storer, Bell, mutumbo, mcginty, Jason banton, Azezz, bailey cargill, jake Carrol, Melbourne, ziggy Gordon, Pogba,Ben Richards Everton , Stuckmann. Half of these clowns aren’t even footballers. Archibald should have been sacked at least 18 months ago. He took us down with a whimper and is a big part of the reason we’re now in the crap

Agree Archie had taken us as far as he could but even since Caldwell took over we should have done a lot better with the players he had at his disposal , on Saturday we had 7 of the Archie regime starting for example , the jury is still out on some of Caldwell’s signings Mansell, Roy , Harkins , McMillan and Hazard .

In my opinion getting Joe Cardle fit and keeping Stephen Anderson and Steven Saunders fit are key to us staying up .

• Like 1

Maybe not exactly 18 months ago but certainly by Oct/nov 2017 it was obvious we were on the slide big time under Archibald. His signings the last few Windows’s were horrific. Not one player came in and made a difference that I can think of. We’ve been utter dog muck since we made top 6. Archibald did well to keep us up for so long but lost it big time his last year plus in charge 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree Archie had taken us as far as he could but even since Caldwell took over we should have done a lot better with the players he had at his disposal , on Saturday we had 7 of the Archie regime starting for example , the jury is still out on some of Caldwell’s signings Mansell, Roy , Harkins , McMillan and Hazard .

In my opinion getting Joe Cardle fit and keeping Stephen Anderson and Steven Saunders fit are key to us staying up .

Ran out of likes. Very measured and accurate post

11 hours ago, Kingleo said:

The fact (as the board, and indeed at one point Caldo himself,  would like to have it), is that Caldwell was brought here to 'challenge for promotion'.  He was also intended (remember  the presentation that 'blew the board away'?) to turn the situation round with the existing squad. That was the party line (for all I know possibly the board is still babbling incoherently about challenging for promotion as being 'mathematically possible' - I don't know, I avoid reading the sh1te they produce).  The point is, measured by those two criteria, he has been a massive failure and utter disappointment.

As far as bringing in his own players, leaving aside our historic victories over the giants from Stranraer, Methil and Alloa, what has he actually achieved? I keep reading about massive improvements - what was our position in the league when he arrived and where are we now? As Auld Jag point out in an earlier post, people area talking as if Caldwell arrived in January, he has been here since October - where are we now? Still bottom. Where are these massive improvements? They're not reflected in our points tally, that's for sure.

I was one of Archie's strongest critics, but as I watched the (utterly inevitable) third goal going in on Saturday following our abject surrender, I incredibly found myself asking, purely as a comparison,  whether we would have been any worse off under Archie - in terms of our league position, we could hardly be.

For many on here, the jury is still out on Caldwell. Will he avoid relegation? Maybe, just maybe but I wouldn't put money on it. Will he lead us to challenge for promotion? Never.

• Like 1

Just take yourself back to the start of the season, the pundits from BBC / STV and the Daily Ranger are asked who will go up, who will go down, in the championship. The consensus was that PTFC would place about 4th, they would not 'bounce back up' to the premiership as they had lost some quality players (I would guess they were referring to Adam Barton, Ryan Edwards and Steve Lawless).

It's my opinion that GC saw the squad he inherited as one that he could turn around, and that has turned out be some kind of false optimism. For sure the team has played better since the turn of the year, but surely Saturdays game was an indication that to play a 4-2-3-1 formation, you need to have players that can play a game that has 90 minutes of high physical exertion? I know 20 - 20 hindsight is easy, but Harkins should have been substituted at half time and a fresher midfielder played for the second 45. Cardle would have been ideal, but I have to admit when I watched GH trundle around the park, I wished we still had Chris Erskine as a PTFC player.

• Like 3

Just now, Semi Nurainen said:

The fact (as the board, and indeed at one point Caldo himself,  would like to have it), is that Caldwell was brought here to 'challenge for promotion'.  He was also intended (remember  the presentation that 'blew the board away'?) to turn the situation round with the existing squad. That was the party line (for all I know possibly the board is still babbling incoherently about challenging for promotion as being 'mathematically possible' - I don't know, I avoid reading the sh1te they produce).  The point is, measured by those two criteria, he has been a massive failure and utter disappointment.

As far as bringing in his own players, leaving aside our historic victories over the giants from Stranraer, Methil and Alloa, what has he actually achieved? I keep reading about massive improvements - what was our position in the league when he arrived and where are we now? As Auld Jag point out in an earlier post, people area talking as if Caldwell arrived in January, he has been here since October - where are we now? Still bottom. Where are these massive improvements? They're not reflected in our points tally, that's for sure.

I was one of Archie's strongest critics, but as I watched the (utterly inevitable) third goal going in on Saturday following our abject surrender, I incredibly found myself asking, purely as a comparison,  whether we would have been any worse off under Archie - in terms of our league position, we could hardly be.

For many on here, the jury is still out on Caldwell. Will he avoid relegation? Maybe, just maybe but I wouldn't put money on it. Will he lead us to challenge for promotion? Never.

Agree. Maybe  I have missed it, but I haven't seen any board updates this year. Also I would not be surprised if we stay up that Caldwell will be praised by some on this forum for saving us from relegation. 

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Did we not also beat Inverness away who gave us a first half hammering earlier in the season? Easy to forget said results when you try to paint a dark picture

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Did we not also beat Inverness away who gave us a first half hammering earlier in the season? Easy to forget said results when you try to paint a dark picture

We’ve won 4 league games in 5 months under Gary Caldwell and we’re bottom of the league with 11 games to go .

Don’t think he’s painting a dark picture, just saying how it actually is unfortunately 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

As Sandy would say....speculation.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

We’ve won 4 league games in 5 months under Gary Caldwell and we’re bottom of the league with 11 games to go .

Don’t think he’s painting a dark picture, just saying how it actually is unfortunately 

Caldwell has still to prove himself. We had some signs of recovery recently, but we back to a lower league position than when he took over.

If he saves us from relegation, it will be relief rather than celebration.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

It's not speculation that we are in a worse position that when Caldo took over - hard facts. Worse position with fewer games to play. Hard numbers.

You misunderstand me. You said he would NEVER challenge  for promotion. Not this season but who can say what the future holds. So your speculating 

Edited by dl1971
Typo
  • Like 1