Long throws

MunroJags!

Forgive my ignorance but is this not something that can be learned, practiced or coached? Surely it would be a valuable ability for Elliot and Penrice. It would improve Storey's game too!

When was the last time we had a player that could perform that magic? Tiny wee pitches mean a throw in is a six yard box chance if someone could be coaxed to learn how to do it. Or is some kind of innate talent like rolling your tongue?

1 minute ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Ian Maxwell could give it a fair chuck.

So could Liam Lindsay and Freddie Frans . They rarely played in a three at the back so not that many will have seen them take throw ins. SOD latterly got a bit of length as well. Craigan was probably the best at this in the last 20 or so years.

I've said this for ages, it's not pretty but it can be effective, and how hard can it be to train a professional athlete who you would think would have decent upper body strength and flexibility to begin with. Doesn't have to be Stoke / Rory Delap levels but it surely gives an advantage compared to a regular throw in.

Both goals yesterday came from throws into the box on the little toytown park which is probably the equivalent of a long throw on a normal pitch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think I remember Martin Hardie scoring (header) directly from a long throw-in by somebody.

I am going for home game v Inverness. We won 4-1 with Danny Lennon scoring a beauty. The one I think you are remembering is the opening goal from a Stephen Craigan long throw.

That same long throw was used to vital effect a few weeks later at the Shyberry, where it caused mayhem in the Airdrie box and allowed Toastie Burns to score the late equaliser which all but clinched promotion.

Elliott can launch one as required. Maybe not as prevalent as when facing sides with three big centre halves is the norm.

In general I've noticed we are keeping possession a lot better from throw ins and I feel Skippy will only move us forward in this regard.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, Barney Rubble said:

Ricky Waddell scored at Tannadice in 2002 from a Craigan long throw to secure a 1-1 draw.

Wow. Your memory has returned Barney. I'd forgotten ricky waddell, nice.