Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

So, it seems we have quite a big game on Monday Night Football. Anyone managed to get a ticket yet? 

I’m close to just watching it on the TV but I’ll probably succumb to the Firhill Fever and call up tomorrow to get the game added to my Season Card. 

Game wise I don’t hold out much hope of getting into the next draw. Hopefully we can have a go but even a bang average Hearts are a tougher test than any of the teams we face week in week out. 

Id be happy enough if we can cut out the individual errors and the sloppy goals from set-pieces which have returned to the side over the last couple of games. Then a wee bit of luck and you just never know...

Forever and ever...

Edited by jagfox

Got our tickets on Wednesday, just cos I was passing firhill and stopped on a whim.

I too will head there with no realistic hopes for anything at all, not even a goal. Given the last games and 2nd half v RC I will be reasonably satisfied with my/our players showing the right attitude and application.

I've given up with the manager, it's about the players and leadership on the pitch from now until the end of the season.

It's not about Caldwell anymore!! It'll not be him that save's our season it'll be the players!!

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

Just a wee reminder to one and all that its a 7.05..  kick off......mon the jags.........

Thanks jimmy mcd. That'd totally passed me by. Would've turned up for 1945.....did that in the cup tie v st midden few years back.

I think that we'll try to shut up shop and hit them on the occasional break with a long ball hit in the general direction of our single player loitering about in their half. 

Of course this tactic ,if it is indeed the manager's plan, will fail; miserably, or deservedly, probably both.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Inverness on penalties about 12 or so years ago???

That's who I thought, which is pretty bloody damning. Even in the Premier I think we've only won 3 or so cup games against Premier league opposition.

Oh and that was the 2005-06 season. Which makes it 13 years...

Edited by Woodstock Jag

The positivity is just oozing from this thread. 

Yes, the last two results have been rotten. 1st half against County was the best we have played in ages. The second half and the Dunfermline game were completely unacceptable. However, tonight is a Scottish Cup Quarter Final! 

We may get cuffed, we may spring a surprise (yes, it's possible).

For God's sake though, cheer up. Go along, support the team and enjoy the game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

That's who I thought, which is pretty bloody damning. Even in the Premier I think we've only won 3 or so cup games against Premier league opposition.

Oh and that was the 2005-06 season. Which makes it 13 years...

Which is why we are due one!

I sat down and worked it out.

In the Scottish Cup, Thistle have beaten a team in a higher league than them on only three occasions in the last twenty years. The most recent was ICT on penalties some 13 years ago, with a replay victory over Premier League Dundee in 2001-02, and a victory over First Division Livingston in 1999-2000. In every one of the 7 seasons we've been in the top-flight, we were eliminated by a Premier League team, with any prior victories against Premier League teams having come on only three occasions (Hamilton in 2014-15, St Mirren in 2015-16 and St Johnstone in 2016-17).

In the League Cup, it's grimmer still. We have beaten precisely two Premier League team in 20 years (Dundee in 2002-03 and St Johnstone in 2017-18, both top-flight seasons). We failed to beat any second-tier teams during our three seasons in the third-tier. During two of our seven top flight campaigns, we were eliminated by second-tier opposition (Falkirk in 2015-16 and Dundee United in 2016-17).

In the Challenge Cup, it's scarcely been respectable either. In just 12 campaigns, we've been knocked out by a team in a league below us on five occasions, the same tier on six occasions, and by a team in a higher tier only once. We have won against someone in the second-tier only four times.

Basically we are ******* shite at cups.