Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I actually think the malaise might have been going on for the last year and a half and not just when Caldwell was appointed to be honest 

Too true, My feelings on this is we achieved top 6 status and then simply stopped playing …. but now I am just starting to repeat my earlier posts. The fact is IMO, we have had a kak 18 months, and GC has been part of that kak. Unfortunately for him, he was advertised as someone who would turn around the team we had and make us one of the promotion challengers. Today I would take 8th place as a success

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

I would be happy with 8th too but wouldn't rate it as any kind of success.

Me too. Get this season to feck. Sooner it's finished the better.

Now I've said that we'll no doubt get to a cup final and I'll look a right twonk

9 hours ago, MonehJags said:

I think that speaks volumes. Even with the bunnett in charge, if memory serves me well, we took a sizeable crowd to tynecastle. With the prospect of beating an average Hearts team a semi final against inverness, and we only took a paltry support, it would surely represent a vote of no confidence in the team in its entirety.

Was 2006 and george burleys hearts. Early kick off. Same day as Calcutta cup match at murrayfield. ( which we won) Am only saying cos am sure its gud to remember gr8 away days. Mon e jags. Seen us gub them b4 there.

On 3/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, dl1971 said:

Naismith out for next 8 weeks. Good news from our point of view....

Although we maybe shouldn't get too hung up about one opposition player, I think this is great news. He's the one Hearts player that could put the game beyond us. Other than him, Avril doesn't have anybody at his disposal that could or should give us sleepless nights.

Btw, I read that Naismith will return to his parent club, Norwich, when he's recovered. Not that that's an issue for us. Just saying. 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

These things are totally subjective of course and, unless you've got an exceptional gift, they're always viewed in hindsight. My idea of when the malaise started would be approximately around of the time of the winter break last year. Prior in the season to that we hadn't been doing that well but that was kinda normal in the first part of any recent season. We also had a depleted squad thru injury, which made poorer results that more acceptable.

Really feel that too much was anticipated of those returning from injury and failure to take out some insurance in the Jan'18 transfer window cost us big time.  Certainly hindsight for me as I was enthused knowing Osman in particular was fit again. You can argue that one solitary goal late in the season against Motherwell at Firhill would've got us 10th place and safety. That said very much doubt we'd be anywhere but bottom of the top division just now had we stayed up. Fair to assume Archie would still have been sacked and I could still envisage Caldwell getting the gig.

Totally agree with this. Since the games we played when we made top 6 (where the players were clearly thinking about their holidays rather than playing any football) it's been murder polis. The reliance on the injury returnees cost us dearly-I remember three 'must win' games we lost round about then (can't mind who we played-it's a depressing blur) and that, allied to the poor January transfer window recruitment ended up with disaster-a disaster we're still living with.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:22 AM, MonehJags said:

I think that speaks volumes. Even with the bunnett in charge, if memory serves me well, we took a sizeable crowd to tynecastle. With the prospect of beating an average Hearts team a semi final against inverness, and we only took a paltry support, it would surely represent a vote of no confidence in the team in its entirety.

Don't agree with this at all.

From posts on here and if that represents the average Thistle supporter then yes we are disillusioned with the manager, the board and the team but all still support the Thistle. I don't think we can determine, that if there is a poor away support at tyncastle, it is a vote of no confidence. That's, with the greatest respect money, mentuuul.

People will not be going for a multitude of reasons. I'm not going cos my son is school age and it wouldn't be fair. My pals not going due to a terminal family illness. My other pal simply can't afford it. There will be many many reasons why some fans don't or can't go. 

I think you're being very unfair saying a small away support is a vote of no confidence. It'll hardly be a 36 Hamilton fans in Aberdeen to see their team win 2- 0.

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

Totally agree with this. Since the games we played when we made top 6 (where the players were clearly thinking about their holidays rather than playing any football) it's been murder polis. The reliance on the injury returnees cost us dearly-I remember three 'must win' games we lost round about then (can't mind who we played-it's a depressing blur) and that, allied to the poor January transfer window recruitment ended up with disaster-a disaster we're still living with.

Kilmarnock, Kilmarnock and Kilmarnock probably.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

People will not be going for a multitude of reasons. I'm not going cos my son is school age and it wouldn't be fair. My pals not going due to a terminal family illness. My other pal simply can't afford it. There will be many many reasons why some fans don't or can't go. 

This is one of the most astute posts ever made on this forum.

It applies to any Jags game - away or home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am not quite sure why arguments are being built on a poor attendance which has not happened yet!

My main memory of games in Edinburgh whether Hearts or Hibs regardless of Thistle being in good or bad form is of huge queues at the turnstiles because someone either in the Thistle or the home team hierarchy had underestimated our usual excellent away support.

Let us not do the same...,yet!

47 minutes ago, Bristol City Jag said:

After a bit of advice for Tuesday.  It's my first visit to Tynecastle and not sure whether train or car is the best option.  Any recommendations on where to park or is train to Haymarket a better option?

From my memory of Edinburgh, train is probably easier BCJ. Not a great place for driving into or parking.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Will Caldwell tinker with the side for this game from Saturday? 

He certainly seems to adapt the team and formation depending on who we are facing.

I got the feeling we maybe set up yesterday with a view to Tuesday night in some ways.

As mentioned there were shades of the first half against Hearts in the first 45 minutes yesterday. McDonald certainly seemed more effective than the running of Mansell in that respect.

A key part to yesterday's win was McMillan coming more into the midfield and giving the team a more solid spine.

So I'd say allowing for McDonald running him into the ground yesterday it will be a similar line up on Tuesday. Mansell and Fitzpatrick are good cards to be dealt as substitutes I feel in this game.

A few players will need to up their game if we are to make the semi-final.

Hopefully GC can get it right on the night.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, Barney Rubble said:

This is one of the most astute posts ever made on this forum.

It applies to any Jags game - away or home.

The main issue, certainly from the club's POV is getting fans back who are simply choosing to stay away. I was taken aback when the crowd was announced and apparently 900 of the 3,100 fans were Terrors fans. The JHS didn't seem quiet and hospitality was full. Seemed a fairly healthy contingent in the JLS too.

Circumstances, such as @Thistleberight mentioned obviously dictate whither even the most ardent of fans can attend a match or matches.

Hopefully a semi-final berth and the entertainment on show yesterday will get some more bums on seats as that is the main incentive, imo, a winning team.

The ticket office seemed busy enough after the game so I'd guess 800-1000 Jags will make the effort. Although the foul weather today might out a few fair weather fans off :lol:

53 minutes ago, jagfox said:

He certainly seems to adapt the team and formation depending on who we are facing.

I got the feeling we maybe set up yesterday with a view to Tuesday night in some ways.

As mentioned there were shades of the first half against Hearts in the first 45 minutes yesterday. McDonald certainly seemed more effective than the running of Mansell in that respect.

A key part to yesterday's win was McMillan coming more into the midfield and giving the team a more solid spine.

So I'd say allowing for McDonald running him into the ground yesterday it will be a similar line up on Tuesday. Mansell and Fitzpatrick are good cards to be dealt as substitutes I feel in this game.

Big thing for me after yesterday’s game was we had an out ball with Scott Macdonald staying up front rather than the Hearts game when Mansell was back defending which meant we were pinned back almost the whole of the first half .

Hearts look one dimensional without Naismith to link up play , launching the ball up to the big Centre forward with not a lot of width in their team.

Hopefully we go for it against Hearts , last 2 home games they’ve been beaten by Dundee and drawn with St Mirren so we’ve got a chance .

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Big thing for me after yesterday’s game was we had an out ball with Scott Macdonald staying up front rather than the Hearts game when Mansell was back defending which meant we were pinned back almost the whole of the first half .

Hearts look one dimensional without Naismith to link up play , launching the ball up to the big Centre forward with not a lot of width in their team.

Hopefully we go for it against Hearts , last 2 home games they’ve been beaten by Dundee and drawn with St Mirren so we’ve got a chance .

We certainly do! 

3 hours ago, Bristol City Jag said:

After a bit of advice for Tuesday.  It's my first visit to Tynecastle and not sure whether train or car is the best option.  Any recommendations on where to park or is train to Haymarket a better option?

20 minute walk from Haymarket- pretty much a straight road all the way to the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I felt the same actually. I wonder if Banzo in particular was given a bit more 'rest time' in order to be fit for Tuesday night.  

2 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

I felt the same actually. I wonder if Banzo in particular was given a bit more 'rest time' in order to be fit for Tuesday night.  

Sadly, I don't think Banzo will feature on Tuesday. Just a hunch though.

3 hours ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

:detective:

800 out of the 1400 sold by 2pm Monday, hopefully a few hundred more by the close of play tomorrow.

First team training at Firhill this afternoon.

Not bad considering we had 2,200 in the home stands on Saturday.

Edited by jagfox