Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

I think if the weather really is bad we might be able to do what Ireland did to England years ago in the World Cup and get a hard worked draw, [not sure the date, but I remember Jackie Charlton was the Ireland manager] Then we go to extra time, then penalties which we win 5-3. The tarts fans in the main stand then rip up their seats and hurl them at the home dugout, later in the evening Craig Levine resigns.

Maybe slightly optimistic, but after the first 45 minutes of the first match I thought we were going to be hammered … that didn't happen, so maybe it's our time to be lucky?

I usually hate the cliche : "never have a better chance to," usually given in reference to maybe winning against one of the two big Glasgow mobs. Hate it because even when it gets trotted out we usually get beat.... for more than two decades now. 

But applied to our current chances of getting to a Scottish Cup Final, it really has a ring of truth.....

'Mon Jags, right intae them!

15 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Is Banzo fit for tomorrow?

Caldwell confirming on Jagzone that he has a full squad to choose from, Banzo has been back training and is available. The board paid for the players to go to a hotel in Edinburgh last night and we are training at Hibs training ground today. cmon Jags.

Edited by jags on tour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jags on tour said:

Caldwell confirming on Jagzone ...

That the match preview is behind a paywall says a lot about the (lack of) commercial acumen at the club. :no:

Added: it turns out it's just the coding which is ham-fisted (although I'd still be a bit sceptical about commercial acumen!): the link from from the Match Hub is dead, although there's a link from the News page (not at the top, but below a puff piece about Mansell - dear, oh dear!).

Edited by Fearchar
Further information appeared.

37 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

That the match preview is behind a paywall says a lot about the (lack of) commercial acumen at the club. :no:

Interview on the website.

It’s another midweek fixture for Thistle tonight as they travel through to the capital to take on Heart of Midlothian for the second time in eight days. Having more than matched Hearts, particularly in the second half last week, there is a confident feeling around the Thistle camp at the moment.

Although he realises it will certainly be a challenge, Jags boss Gary Caldwell, insists his side aren’t just there to make up the numbers. With a chance to book a visit to Hampden the gaffer sat down with ptfc.co.uk to look ahead to the tie.

Caldwell started by reflecting briefly on the first tie at the Energy Check Stadium at Firhill.

“I thought we matched them, I really did. Particularly in the second half I thought we played some really good football and created chances. In truth we could maybe have nicked it at the death but we were definitely good value for a draw.

“It has given us this opportunity to go to Tynecastle and earn a place in the semi final but it won’t be easy and we know that. We know what to expect from them and we have to be prepared in exactly the same way we were on Monday night. If we are able to do that then we have a really good chance.”

It was an injury hit squad that took to the field the last time out against Hearts and, thankfully, things are looking much better for tonight’s tie.

“I am delighted to say we have a fully fit squad. With the exception of Tam O’Ware we have a fully green squad list which means everyone is fit and everyone has trained which is great. Recently we have had four or five injuries which were small muscle injuries which is frustrating but the physio and medical department worked extremely hard and everyone is fit for an important time of the season which is good.

“Unfortunately Tam still isn’t quite on that list but his recovery is going really well, he’s working extremely hard, and he’s been a massive help to me and Brian around the squad. He’s done bits of scouting for us and has obviously been coaching with the Academy as well, so he’s been fantastic considering he’s not been able to play, and he’s working really hard to get close to fitness.”

It has undoubtedly been a tough season so far for the Jags but by earning a replay when many had written his side off and with the last minute heroics on Saturday the gaffer knows things can change very quickly.

“It is I think that’s football. I think when you have been in football you realise that one week can change a season, one moment can change things. We have had a difficult few years as a club and we just have to keep fighting, improving and getting better, and these moments like Saturday and Monday night can turn everything. You can go on an upwards turn quite quickly. We just have to keep working on that.”

Tynecastle is a favourite of supporters and players alike but it isn’t a stadium the Jags boss has particularly fond memories of. It was always a game I looked forward to in terms of the atmosphere though. Obviously having played for Hibs, and Celtic at Tynecastle it was always big games, their crowd was always very vocal, they support the team, and get behind the players. I think it’s important that you are ready for that initial period of the game. The first 20-30 mins where they will throw everything at us and we need to be prepared for that.”

Hearts have had plaudits and criticism in almost equal measure for their physical style of play and it is something the entire Jags squad will be aware of.

“I think they have always been physical, even since I played against them. They are a physical side that put you under pressure and make you defend, and we have to stand up to that challenge.

“I believe we did it in the first game very well. For those first 30 minutes I felt we could have passed the ball better in terms of defending and dealing with their physicality but they only had 3 shots on target all night and that shows how well we defended and we will have to do the same again.

“We know what prize is on offer for the winner and it is a fantastic opportunity for us to write a bit of history. We aren’t just here to make up the numbers we are her to make a semi final and that is what we intend to do.”

"We're confident we can win" ~ Gary Caldwell

"We've got everything to lose" ~ Conor Hazard

Love the way these boys are talking, spot on. Also, the club backing them with an overnight stay in Edinburgh is superb.

By far, the biggest game of our season so far coming up; here's hoping we play as we can and ye just never know.

By the lights :drink: