Hearts vs Thistle Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay - Tuesday 12 March / Thistle vs Hearts - Scottish Cup Quarter Final - Monday 4 March

jagfox

May I ask, and I hope this hasn't been discussed earlier and I missed it.

For me hearts fans are as disgusting as the ugly sisters, though like all support they have good and bad.

Did anyone else notice the trouble in the Colin weir stand behind levins dugout. Lots of stewards and police ran into the crowd. I saw missiles being thrown at the hearts dugout including what looked like a seat. Anyone have an idea what was going on and why it's not been reported in the media

Edited by Guest
Spelt weir as weird, bloody predictive text

On reflection I think Gary Harkins did have a better second half than I thought. Although my god he is ponderous. Jury out on young mansell. Not the night to judge him. For the record hearts style of play does make it difficult to play from the back, so I wouldn't blame hazard for the long kick outs. I still think if we raise our game we have a chance at tynecastle. Hopefully naismith still out....

Caldwell said that bringing on McGinty and reverting to a back 3/5 was in response to a change Hearts made - the suggestion being it was not just a matter of sacrificing an attacker to get another defender on the park.

Agree with comments above about throw-ins and goalie being slow to get ball back in to play. I've been saying this about our throw-ins for years - we're so slow which just helps the defence get re-organised. Throw-ins should be taken with the same sense of urgency as a pass.

I think the McGinty change last night was not to shore up the defence but in the belief that we might force a set piece at the death and that McGinty's height might have brought some joy. As much as we were better in the second half it looked unlikely we would score from open play so I can get that even though I would preffered Doolan or McDonald.

Bringing on Storey when McMillan got injured made sense so that Elliot was protected defensively and denied Hearts width to get crosses into the area. Fitzpatrick for Cardle was almost like for like. The tactictal change at half time last night to reduce the gap between Harkins and central defense worked as it protected the back 5, reduced the possibility of Harkins being outstripped for pace and freed up Slater and Spittal to support the forwards.

The real mystery from last night is the first half. I have no idea what we were trying to do. We didn't appear to have any real game plan, understand what Hearts would try to do or any idea how to keep the ball. The only positive in the first half was that we only lost one goal.

1 hour ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Didn't see any mention of the flare that was set off!  What exactly is the purpose of all those stewards?? Apart from walking up and down the stairs,what do they actually do?

Wonder if Budge and her co- directors will do/ say anything about the flares! (not holding my breath though!)

Is this not a case of Mr Pot meet Mr Kettle? We're hardly in a position to judge or complain.

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Agree. Didn't do much else wrong but for a big tall chap he was sadly lacking for the goal. Great move by hearts but he shouldn't be beaten like that.

Looking back at the replay, he positions himself to his left in the goalmouth, the ball goes high to his right - and he tries to reach for it with his left hand! :shok: That's the equivalent of losing a few inches' height. Perhaps we're seeing why he's losing goals despite being behind a much improved defence. Losing 7 in his last two league games should indicate he needs to be benched, even for his own good.

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Looking back at the replay, he positions himself to his left in the goalmouth, the ball goes high to his right - and he tries to reach for it with his left hand! :shok: That's the equivalent of losing a few inches' height. Perhaps we're seeing why he's losing goals despite being behind a much improved defence. Losing 7 in his last two league games should indicate he needs to be benched, even for his own good.

Yeah. Great point 're his trying to get to it with his left hand but it'd depend on where his core balance was when he reacted which would explain his choice of hand he has used. It was his positioning I was questioning. A few times last night he didn't seem to make up his mind whether to stay on his line or come for a ball but in the main he'd a good game. I guess Jenny Arthur has an input as to who gets the nod but I agree he's costing us goals and your point about his playing behind an improved defence is well made.

It's all supposition but the 2nd and 3rd goals v RC were saveable. 

5 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Didn't see any mention of the flare that was set off!  What exactly is the purpose of all those stewards?? Apart from walking up and down the stairs,what do they actually do?

Wonder if Budge and her co- directors will do/ say anything about the flares! (not holding my breath though!)

The smoke bomb that was thrown by the Hearts supporters missed one of our ballboys' head by inches. It is only a matter of time before someone innocent gets badly injured/maimed. The lack of action by stewards/police to these incidents is alarming and they are just as much to blame as those supporters who fail to call out the culprits.

I hope the idiots in our own support get the message.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

I thought this was normal. If you sre diving high right, you can reach higher with your left hand, as this becomes your “top” hand as you are diving

4 hours ago, allyo said:

What I think is really clear is that our team's performance is massively affected by confidence and self-belief. While this is normal, it seems exaggerated with the current Thistle team. In terms of ability I don't think we should be at the bottom of the league, but we are. I think this is down to team morale and very shaky mental strength which quickly collapses when things go against us. I think it was a weakness under Archie and continues to be so.

The Ross County collapse, after being on a good run, was recent evidence of this. So was the way that Thistle eventually, very slowly, got into the game last night. We were hopeless at the start, but got much better as confidence started to return. It's not about trying harder, it's much more complex than that.

It makes the rest of the season difficult to predict. We could very easily go straight down. But if we can take confidence from last night, build on it in the next few games, we are very capable of climbing out of this. Players shouldn't be written off after a couple of bad games. But neither should we get too complacent if things go well for a few games.

What isn't clear to me is how much responsibility the manager takes for this. He has responsibility for signing players, picking the team, sorting tactics. And yes, he has responsibility for making sure the attitude is right. But sorting mental fragility is a very very difficult thing to do, and if that is running through our team then he's up against it. At the moment, having seen a team that was capable of winning a few games then falling apart as soon as things go wrong, I'm less inclined to blame and more inclined to just hope.

I reckon our support could be essential.  

Ran out of likes.

My observation of note is just how poor and one dimensional Hearts became and tired too and for an established top 6 team too.  I think standard in our league this season has been poor and I would not with confidence put money on the outcome of many fixtures in our league however with that said there is probably 4 spl teams who would struggle to bounce straight back up in Championship.  

Going off in a tangent but is a bigger league the answer to remove the fear factor and perhaps allow more ambition.  Such a fine line in lower leagues that 5 league placings apart can see one team promoted and another relegated.

Anyway get right intae Hearts next week and get the crowd on their backs as they are less than impressed with Levein at the mo.  And no replicating the reserve score today please.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Maybe that’s where we are going wrong, Kenny’s wife is picking the team ;)

Predictive text strikes again. For the record i've never met his wife

Sorry but don't think a keeper of Hazards height should get beaten by a looping header.He dived "across" rather than "up".Also thought Hearts were predictable continually playing long balls.They certainly miss Naithsmith's creativity and positioning.Thought the game was there to win in the second half.

• Like 1

Terrific effort 2nd half.

Did we improve because Caldwell roasted them at ht or did we change the system? I suddenly noticed Christie in an advanced position, playing well and we started to compete.

I don’t understand the criticism of Mansell. He had no service but still won headers and managed to hold the ball up 2nd half despite being knackered, exactly what Dools has not been doing.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Terrific effort 2nd half.

Did we improve because Caldwell roasted them at ht or did we change the system? I suddenly noticed Christie in an advanced position, playing well and we started to compete.

I don’t understand the criticism of Mansell. He had no service but still won headers and managed to hold the ball up 2nd half despite being knackered, exactly what Dools has not been doing.

Aye, it was noticeable that both Christie and Penrice got forward more in the 2nd half. Not so much wide down the flanks more centrally and we got the equaliser because of that change in shape.

Mansell appears to be terribly one footed but I can't fault his effort last night. He was so isolated in the first half it was hard to judge his contribution. But as it looked like Hearts tired later on it's likely that Mansell's running played a part. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

…. imagine what it's like to be a Real Madrid supporter this morning!

As a Jags fan I'm actually struggling to imagine what it would be like to be  knocked out of a competition won four times in the previous five years. :)

Certainly not been a good season for Real. Out the Champions League before the quarter finals, no La Liga or Copa del Rey titles this year. And now I'm hearing Neil Doncaster is going to snub them once again by not inviting them into next season's Challenge Cup!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if we need to have CC TV trained on the crowds for the duration of the 90 minutes, just to ensure this filth can be identified and dealt with appropriately? There wont be anyone in the 'normal' HoM support that will point the finger, as these thugs tend to be full of drink and drugs and up for anything

Next Monday our reserves play Rancid at Lesser Hampden, it wouldn't surprise me if some of that lots 'ultras' make an appearance (well they don't have work to go to, do they??)

[BTW We need a good support for next Monday, we were torn apart (1-9)  by HoM yesterday in the reserves]

33 minutes ago, BalornockJag said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-caldwell-targeted-hearts-fans-14092582.amp?__twitter_impression=true   Whatever your opinion on caldwell is, absolute scumbags, best course of action is to pap them out the cup 

Love this quote in the article:  'But they are understood to have been shocked and angered by the sheer volume of loose change which was hurled into the technical area from tossers in the main stand. ' 

Think they've summed it up quite nicely.