Partick Thistle vs Dundee United Saturday 9 March

jagfox

15 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

3 things:

How did we play?

Did we deserve to win?

Was their goal offside?

We played well. If Dundee Utd are second this is not a great league. I felt over the piece we deserved to win. Apart from scoring McDonald had another good chance to score,the keeper deflected it for a corner and he also got pulled down in the box. Off course their goal was offside. To be honest from my position in the John Lambie stand hard to tell. Just delighted with 3 points, but we have to keep it going.

16 minutes ago, cyprusjag said:

3 things:

How did we play?

Did we deserve to win?

Was their goal offside?

1. Not great

2. Yes

3. Yes 

Some good performances esp McDonald, Elliott, Cardle and the 2 central defenders but we kept giving the ball away and the box delivery was awful.

Miles gave the ball away nearly every time. Spittal and Penrice must improve their crossing. Shocking!!

Arabs played into our hands by going gung-ho and leaving our 2 young subs to expose their donkeys in defence.

A fabulous win and day out and GIRFUY DUFC

3 hours ago, CotterJag said:

6 Wins

3 Draws

2 Defeats

Very good record in all comps since the New Year.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some of the comments are dubious to say the least.

Some people it seems, have a hidden agenda and are incapable of measuring performance in a sensible manner.

Worth pointing out that a draw v hearts and beating the team in 2nd place among those results. I think it is now fair to say that we are in the improvement phase. However I have no doubt that each of our next 8 league games will be hard fought. Let's not panic if we go behind, draw or even lose.

• Like 1

for us to remain in this division we have got to toughen up our midfield

too many games we have been brushed aside by opposition opponents 

we need players in the middle that can win the ball then hold and then make a pass

we too often have possession then aimlessly simply hoof the ball up the park and allow the opposition to come back at us

hopefully when banzo comes back we can get to grips on our midfield

watching todays game and our match against the jambos on the telly in no way can anyone  question the players commitment and effort

what we need imo is a bit of composure and confidence in our play

i feel in that respect the supporters should get behind the team 100%  win lose or draw we are all of us are in this together

bring it on we can do this , we will do this, we are ptfc

onwards and upwards  :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mulguy jag said:

I'ts not over until the fat lady sings.:D 

Hey, you! Less of the personal insults. Besides I can assure you that you never ever want to hear me singing.

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

The ref had a shocker. Worst I've seen all season. Two missed penalties, one for each team. Multiple fouls and free kicks the wrong way. Several times DU took corners outside the corner kick area, just really poor but forgiven for the last minute offside decision

You can add allowing Clark to take the free kick a yard or so further from goal to improve his scoring chances to a long list of errors,

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

So what was the formation in the end?

McMillan played defensive midfield in front of a back four of Penrice, Saunders, Anderson and Elliot. Slater and Spittal were in centre mid with Cardle and Storey as the wide men and McDonald up front.

So it was 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-2-3 depending on how you look at it. Or mibbes just plain old 4-3-3.

Thought McMillan was decent in midfield though a bit frantic at times, as if he wasn't used to being in there (understandable) and wasn't quite sure where he needed to be. But on more than one occasion he covered well at RB when Elliot had gone upfield (and Storey had lost possession, usually).

2 hours ago, cyprusjag said:

3 things:

How did we play?

Did we deserve to win?

Was their goal offside?

We played well and we played really badly in patches. Inconsistent, throughout the game. So not an easy one to answer.

We didn't not deserve to win? That game was there for either team. They weren't robbed, put it that way.

I have no idea if their goal was offside. Though it was right in front of me. Maybe I couldn't watch. I'm not very good at answering three simple questions, eh?

What I haven't seen mentioned... I was right behind Cardle's cross for the first goal! It was beautiful. I was raving about it before McDonald even put his head on it. It was amazing.

As for their penalty shout... it was right in front of me. And I'd be really interested to see a replay because their players (and subsequently their manager) were raging. Yet I was disappointed to see him give a corner. Didn't even occur to me that there was a foul (and I am the anxious type). Big fuss about nothing in my eyes, thought our shout was stronger (but still not that strong). Who knows. I might be wrong.

Loved that winning goal. That's what makes it all worth it, and these things go against us far more often than for us. What a moment. So happy with that one.

Edited by allyo

4 hours ago, Colognejag said:

Now that sounds like a plan! 

Great result for one and all. Really was fearing after Falkirk won last night. Ayr were hopeless and the first goal was as jammy as you get. We can go with confidence to Brockville or whatever shitey name their stadium has now.

The infuriating thing is that we have been beaten by Ayr league and cup game this season hopefully we can change it in our remaining games against them

3 hours ago, cyprusjag said:

3 things:

How did we play?

Did we deserve to win?

Was their goal offside?

1. Good in patches but pinned back for a lot of he first half with too many cross balls not being snuffed out (much like the Hearts game).

2. Draw probably a fair result....but f*ck it, we won!

3. Yes. Yes and again Yes.

As West Ender says a draw may well have been  a fair result. That said we may not have got  the winner had Dundee Utd  not been going all out for a winner themselves. So you could argue with both sides hell bent on getting a 2nd goal the team that scored it are the deserved winners. That maybe only makes sense to me :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As West Ender says a draw may well have been  a fair result. That said we may not have got  the winner had Dundee Utd  not been going all out for a winner themselves. So you could argue with both sides hell bent on getting a 2nd goal the team that scored it are the deserved winners. That maybe only makes sense to me :)

Thistle scoring a last minute winner always makes sense to me LIB.

As has been mentioned we missed the Banzo type player in midfield and we don’t seem to have anyone else like that in the squad....DU were very average and it says a lot about the league that they are second

the defence looked better yesterday but we need to keep the ball better

Cardle has been a great acquisition and macdonald was a handful all game ...a very clever player

We saw the potential  that Mansell has yesterday and has a good turn of pace and a great final goal

so a great result and just what we needed

bring on Tuesday !

I have already left my positive comments already so I would also like to add the ref really was awful for both teams (especially us) Got just about every single little despising wrong. I think it’s fair to say you know how bad the ref was when you feel the need to comment even having won. The linesman however is a legend. 

• Like 1

For me yesterdays game has erased the nasty memory of the Ross County second half, that was a game of end to end play that had me exasperated and elated for the full 90 minutes. We can actually play a bit, and games like yesterday are good for morale and confidence.

I was impressed by Scott McDonald in that he did not allow the DUFC defenders to pick their passes when moving out of their defence, he covered a lot of ground and you have to give the guy credit for someone who has been out of the game [at this level]  for quite a while,  he still has so much pace, determination and craft in his game. His goal was a peach and in the second half the feint to beat the DUFC centre back was genius. just a pity their goalkeeper managed to save his shot. I thought Cardle played well, and Elliot and Penrice showed they can be creative in the build up of attacks down the flanks. Also the manager deserves credit, he made some substitution that I could not understand, ['cept Storey] but they all paid off. That 90th minute goal from Fitzpatrick was a thing of beauty [it's on YouTube, worth watching again, and again, and again]

I think they need to try to fully understand what happened for the DUFC goal, to loose from a set piece is disappointing. As noted in previous posts, that referee and his linesmen has a poor game, but it seemed to add to the game in that they were winding up both sets of fans and creating drama simply by being poor at their jobs. The referee Newlands was particular bad, not as bad as Dallas, but close, I held my breath when Storey made that 'tackle' in the box, and I think we dodged a bullet there. A note on Storey, I think the guy needs to be rested for a while, he seems to be playing with little confidence and no spark or enthusiasm, perhaps just loaning him out to a lower league team could help him?

20 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thank you God!!

We needed that and then some!!

There's grimy stuff still to be done, but today's piece of grime shows that the team is up for the hard fight.

Well done to the players, the management and all those able to be there today.

Enjoy your beers tonight folks!!

I know GC is turning things around Barney but Sandy will have a pup if you keep up this level of adulation for the manager :hypocrite: :lol:

• Haha 1