Partick Thistle vs Dundee United Saturday 9 March

jagfox

18 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

5 3 1 1 for much of the match but that was cos we were getting pulled about in the middle for periods of the game

I’d say more of a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 with McMillan playing more forward as a holding midfielder. 

As you say though we didn’t really get going from a midfield point of view. Not much in the way of passing moved from the middle of the park and I felt Spittal and Slater were both below par. Storey wasn’t at the races either. 

Echoes of the Hearts game with us punting the ball up towards the lone striker but McDonald managed to do some great work. He didn’t get much support from midfield though. 

McDonald was excellent and must have run about 10k. Saunders was next best for me and Big Conor Hazard made a couple of crucial saves. 

We’ve ve played better and lost this season but the manager got his substitutions spot on today and we rightly claimed all three points.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I know GC is turning things around Barney but Sandy will have a pup if you keep up this level of adulation for the manager :hypocrite: :lol:

Sandy's ok - he's still here, gives it out and takes plenty in return in good faith.

Unlike certain others who could be named that have vanished from this forum with a speed that would make Usain Bolt look like a carthorse.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sandy's ok - he's still here, gives it out and takes plenty in return in good faith.

Unlike certain others who could be named that have vanished from this forum with a speed that would make Usain Bolt look like a carthorse.

Aye, and I don’t  have any ‘pups’ to spare either ;) 

46 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I’d say more of a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 with McMillan playing more forward as a holding midfielder. 

As you say though we didn’t really get going from a midfield point of view. Not much in the way of passing moved from the middle of the park and I felt Spittal and Slater were both below par. Storey wasn’t at the races either. 

Echoes of the Hearts game with us punting the ball up towards the lone striker but McDonald managed to do some great work. He didn’t get much support from midfield though. 

McDonald was excellent and must have run about 10k. Saunders was next best for me and Big Conor Hazard made a couple of crucial saves. 

We’ve ve played better and lost this season but the manager got his substitutions spot on today and we rightly claimed all three points.

Agree with everything there. Probably more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3 (perhaps influenced by our early goal).

Was thinking during the game that Storey or Cardle (especially the former) was preferred to Fitzpatrick mainly as Aiden is the least qualified to track back.  Cardle has always been a busy type wide player and certainly showed his worth defensively. Storey has the strength to defend that Fitzpatrick lacks but nearly cost us big time tho'.  

Spittal's form has dropped off recently but his work rate makes up for it somewhat. That's not something I'd have thought to be posting this time last year. Slater again when forced back in midfield is less effective. McMillan had a decent enough game playing in an unfamiliar position, which with McDonald and Saunders playing so well,  made for a strong spine to the formation. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

I wonder also if our luck has turned.  When you are rock bottom normally your luck runs the same way.

Moments like Dundee,s last minute offside disallowed goal are normally given when your heading for the relegation door.  That moment could be pivotal.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Anyone able to give an insight on their goal? It was hard to see from the JLS but it seemed crazy that he was able to slot it past the wall and into the corner with such ease. Was  it a great strike or did the keeper get the wall and/or his positioning wrong?

Hazard was clearly unhappy from his reaction towards his wall after it went in.

I didn't have a great view at the time as I was up the opposite end but the msm have hailed it as a great strike but from the defending teams pov you'd expect to be unhappy losing a free-kick struck through/ very close to your wall.

I'm not sure getting a correct call for offside can be seen as being lucky apart from with the level of officiating irs good the assistsnt got the call correct.

We certainly got lucky with Storey's challenge on Robson. That was a stonewaller from what I could see.

As said there seemed to be quite a few incorrect decisions going against both sides. So I guess overall we got the best of the ref's errors.

Then again Skippy McDonald seemed to think he should have got a penalty awarded in our favour.

I guess it comes down to the harder the players train and play the luckier we will get...  

5 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Hazard was at fault for the goal. Didn't look good trying to blame others. Saying that thought he had a very good game otherwise. Needs to improve his kicking though. 

Tone it down? He would have had the assist for McDonald's second half effort had it beat the keeper :lol:

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Hazard was at fault for the goal. Didn't look good trying to blame others. Saying that thought he had a very good game otherwise. Needs to improve his kicking though. 

Right from the kick off every time United got a free kick Scott Mcdonald was organising the walls and in conversation with Hazard,who I assume Scott didn't think  was being vocal enough in his organising of the defensive wall.Looked to me like the shot went through the wall,if it didn't then the wall was not lined up correctly and that falls to the keeper im afraid.As you say,thought he had a decent game but needs to improve his kicking.

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

I'm not sure getting a correct call for offside can be seen as being lucky apart from with the level of officiating irs good the assistsnt got the call correct.

We certainly got lucky with Storey's challenge on Robson. That was a stonewaller from what I could see.

As said there seemed to be quite a few incorrect decisions going against both sides. So I guess overall we got the best of the ref's errors.

Then again Skippy McDonald seemed to think he should have got a penalty awarded in our favour.

I guess it comes down to the harder the players train and play the luckier we will get...  

Agree and disagree.  Thought at the time Storey got a touch on the ball first (and apparently off the forward).  Looking at the replay, although not a much better view, the ball appears to go off at an angle when Storey connects.  If he'd got nothing on it, it would have rolled straight ahead.  On the other hand it was a very risky challenge and could easily have resulted in a penalty.  I think the touch he got was the slightest of touches  so he was almost missing it and got a bit o f the player anyway,  All moot since it wasn't given.

Got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the ending to the first game I’ve been able to make it to this year. I thought that on the balance of chances created we probably just about deserved it. But to be honest if it had ended up in a draw I don think I could have complained too much.

I’l not comment too much on our tactics or perhaps more accurately their absence. As our main tactics seemed to consist of hitting hopeful high balls up to Scott MacDonald: who much against received  wisdom seemed to make more than any man of his size has any right to do. The two penalty claims which weren’t given could easily have been given on another day and with another referee.

Have to say the standard of refereeing hasn’t seen any improvement in the time I’ve been absent.

40 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

Got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the ending to the first game I’ve been able to make it to this year. I thought that on the balance of chances created we probably just about deserved it. But to be honest if it had ended up in a draw I don think I could have complained too much.

I’l not comment too much on our tactics or perhaps more accurately their absence. As our main tactics seemed to consist of hitting hopeful high balls up to Scott MacDonald: who much against received  wisdom seemed to make more than any man of his size has any right to do. The two penalty claims which weren’t given could easily have been given on another day and with another referee.

Have to say the standard of refereeing hasn’t seen any improvement in the time I’ve been absent.

Glad you got to witness a last minute victory for the Jags. Hope you see a number more before the end of the season.:fan:

14 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

For a big guy Hazzard does not command his area like he should 6ft 5ins just short of 2 mt..he has got to get to every cross ball that comes in...Also yesterday he was away outside his area many times just standing there surprised no utd player noticed and had a pop....

Whatever the reason, he's losing too many goals.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Whatever the reason, he's losing too many goals.

I'd put it down partly to inexperience. He's only this month turned 21 and maybe only 2 dozen first team games to date. 

I am surprised a Celtic keeper is so big punt reliant whereas Sneddon is so relatively proficient with his feet and general distribution.

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'd put it down partly to inexperience. He's only this month turned 21 and maybe only 2 dozen first team games to date. 

I am surprised a Celtic keeper is so big punt reliant whereas Sneddon is so relatively proficient with his feet and general distribution.

I am surprised any keeper today is poor with the ball. It is increasingly obvious there is a need for keepers to be able to play with their feet, with bigger teams seeking out keepers who can play the ball.

For any young keeper to be poor at kicking is ridiculous. It is a skill which can be practised so put in the extra hours, put a few stakes in the ground, and practice hitting them. Then practice doing it under pressure - ask the goalkeeping coach to close you down. I might be naive, but do that for an hour every day after training and I am sure you would see resutls within a few weeks.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Aye man.

Sandy has no compunction about putting his head above the parapet. Note, though, that some of GC's critics were the  first to praise him for his substitutions.

There's along way still to go, and the jury is still out - won't put it any stronger than that a present, just hope we can keep it going.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Aye man.

Sandy has no compunction about putting his head above the parapet. Note, though, that some of GC's critics were the  first to praise him for his substitutions.

There's along way still to go, and the jury is still out - won't put it any stronger than that a present, just hope we can keep it going.

I think it is correct to say the guy got it right when he gets it right?

If we finish in 8th, in my opinion, that is a comparative success [compared to where we were 10 days ago!], but does it make GC's management of the team a success, then the answer is no, he was brought in to improve our chances to finish top 4 and be able to just possibly get back into the PL. As things stand at the moment we will struggle to achieve anything better than CL survival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Surprising also that he has so little confidence in his own handling ability that he chooses to punch rather than catch  the majority of crosses. Even when unchallenged.