Partick Thistle vs Dundee United Saturday 9 March

jagfox

On 3/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, jagfox said:

I’d say more of a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1 with McMillan playing more forward as a holding midfielder. 

As you say though we didn’t really get going from a midfield point of view. Not much in the way of passing moved from the middle of the park and I felt Spittal and Slater were both below par. Storey wasn’t at the races either. 

Echoes of the Hearts game with us punting the ball up towards the lone striker but McDonald managed to do some great work. He didn’t get much support from midfield though. 

McDonald was excellent and must have run about 10k. Saunders was next best for me and Big Conor Hazard made a couple of crucial saves. 

We’ve ve played better and lost this season but the manager got his substitutions spot on today and we rightly claimed all three points.

Agree especially with your observation on Caldwells substitutions.

Periods of the second half we were 3 going on 5 at the back which seemed to work to a point. I thought we did our usual panic at the back for about 5 minutes before we got the second goal. I was really scared they'd get the winner though my mate was convinced DU wouldn't score from open play, from pretty much 5 minutes in. At that point I thought they were all over us but he was very relaxed after watching them for 5 minutes. In fact just prior to their free-kick and goal he  re asserted they would only score from a set play.....and boom, what'd ya know.

Just shows though how in football people see different things differently:head_ball:

51 minutes ago, NotAFan said:

Surprising also that he has so little confidence in his own handling ability that he chooses to punch rather than catch  the majority of crosses. Even when unchallenged. 

Maybe that's how he's coached at Celtic (it is a common thing nowadays). It seems to me that he's caught a lot more in the last couple of games than previously.