Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Paukea

Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Recommended Posts

With Falkirk beating Ayr on Friday yesterday’s win was massive and started a huge week Perfectly for our club.

On Tuesday he has the chance to take us to Hampden (McDermid Park?) where we would have a great chance to reach a Scottish Cup Final. “Oh how we would all love that”

On Saturday as we head to Falkirk  we could  be 4 points behind if they manage to beat County on Tuesday which means by 16:45 we could be 7 adrift. 

I suppose every remaining fixture is huge but with the Cup thrown in this week Caldwell has a chance to maybe turn even the most critical supporter into a fan of his.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paukea said:

With Falkirk beating Ayr on Friday yesterday’s win was massive and started a huge week Perfectly for our club.

On Tuesday he has the chance to take us to Hampden (McDermid Park?) where we would have a great chance to reach a Scottish Cup Final. “Oh how we would all love that”

On Saturday as we head to Falkirk  we could  be 4 points behind if they manage to beat County on Tuesday which means by 16:45 we could be 7 adrift. 

I suppose every remaining fixture is huge but with the Cup thrown in this week Caldwell has a chance to maybe turn even the most critical supporter into a fan of his.

 

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend possibly produced the only round of fixtures where we had serious interest in all the other four results. Three went our way with only Ayr losing to Falkirk being a baddie. County could (and should) see off Falkirk in midweek. Following on a Jags win at Falkirk would be huge. Who knows, tho' the odds are against, we could also  make a decent inroad into the goal difference. 

With Queens definitely coming into the relegation/play off mix and Morton also looking over their shoulder there's at least one other escape route appearing for us. It's just possible that any points we pick up on Saturday will be far more important than who we pick them up from. A negative spin on that would be a draw at Falkirk may not be too disappointing. But having to rely on results elsewhere is far from ideal.

While I do agree with Paukea that this is a big week for us there may well be far more crucial weeks to come.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This weekend possibly produced the only round of fixtures where we had serious interest in all the other four results. Three went our way with only Ayr losing to Falkirk being a baddie. County could (and should) see off Falkirk in midweek. Following on a Jags win at Falkirk would be huge. Who knows, tho' the odds are against, we could also  make a decent inroad into the goal difference. 

With Queens definitely coming into the relegation/play off mix and Morton also looking over their shoulder there's at least one other escape route appearing for us. It's just possible that any points we pick up on Saturday will be far more important than who we pick them up from. A negative spin on that would be a draw at Falkirk may not be too disappointing. But having to rely on results elsewhere is far from ideal.

While I do agree with Paukea that this is a big week for us there may well be far more crucial weeks to come.

 

Spot on. Exciting times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paukea said:

With Falkirk beating Ayr on Friday yesterday’s win was massive and started a huge week Perfectly for our club.

On Tuesday he has the chance to take us to Hampden (McDermid Park?) where we would have a great chance to reach a Scottish Cup Final. “Oh how we would all love that”

On Saturday as we head to Falkirk  we could  be 4 points behind if they manage to beat County on Tuesday which means by 16:45 we could be 7 adrift. 

I suppose every remaining fixture is huge but with the Cup thrown in this week Caldwell has a chance to maybe turn even the most critical supporter into a fan of his.

 

Being slightly pedantic but if all the results went against us we'd be a point adrift of Alloa in 9th and 5 points behind(albeit with a miles worse gd) Queen of the South - still an enviable position to be in but not as cut adrift as you are making out. 

Edited by G SUS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 9 games to play and the position we are in every week is going to be important. What is for sure ,we cant afford a run of results we had when the manager first came in. 1 point out of 6 games. It will probably be the end of the season before I will know if the manager has turned run my thoughts on him.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

With 9 games to play and the position we are in every week is going to be important. What is for sure ,we cant afford a run of results we had when the manager first came in. 1 point out of 6 games. It will probably be the end of the season before I will know if the manager has turned run my thoughts on him.

this @Auld Jag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

With 9 games to play and the position we are in every week is going to be important. What is for sure ,we cant afford a run of results we had when the manager first came in. 1 point out of 6 games. It will probably be the end of the season before I will know if the manager has turned run my thoughts on him.

Even if he manages to keep us up , I'd still bin him. But he won't be sacked by that bunch of charlatans on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Spot on. Exciting times 

In theory, we could be playing European Football and be in the premier league for next season. Or we could be in the third tier of Scottish football. As you say, exciting times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

In theory, we could be playing European Football and be in the premier league for next season. Or we could be in the third tier of Scottish football. As you say, exciting times.

This ^^^  Next season could be Aberdeen or Arbroath or Airdrie or Alloa or a trip to Azerbaijan.  Don’t get me started on the B’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Since beating County 4-0, Queens have lost their last 7 league games, scoring only twice in that time. That’s a hard rut to get out of.

Only takes one result though. Dunfermline were on a terrible run, and now suddenly they're on a great one. plenty of twists and turns to come I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

This weekend possibly produced the only round of fixtures where we had serious interest in all the other four results. Three went our way with only Ayr losing to Falkirk being a baddie. County could (and should) see off Falkirk in midweek. Following on a Jags win at Falkirk would be huge. Who knows, tho' the odds are against, we could also  make a decent inroad into the goal difference. 

With Queens definitely coming into the relegation/play off mix and Morton also looking over their shoulder there's at least one other escape route appearing for us. It's just possible that any points we pick up on Saturday will be far more important than who we pick them up from. A negative spin on that would be a draw at Falkirk may not be too disappointing. But having to rely on results elsewhere is far from ideal.

While I do agree with Paukea that this is a big week for us there may well be far more crucial weeks to come.

 

Ran outta likes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, allyo said:

Only takes one result though. Dunfermline were on a terrible run, and now suddenly they're on a great one. plenty of twists and turns to come I reckon.

Fingers crossed our one result you speak of was last weekend's win. Surely to gawd we can push on this time from the result and Tuesday's performance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, Paukea said:

With Falkirk beating Ayr on Friday yesterday’s win was massive and started a huge week Perfectly for our club.

On Tuesday he has the chance to take us to Hampden (McDermid Park?) where we would have a great chance to reach a Scottish Cup Final. “Oh how we would all love that”

On Saturday as we head to Falkirk  we could  be 4 points behind if they manage to beat County on Tuesday which means by 16:45 we could be 7 adrift. 

I suppose every remaining fixture is huge but with the Cup thrown in this week Caldwell has a chance to maybe turn even the most critical supporter into a fan of his.

 

Frankly, I presently have no idea where I stand on this one any more.

When he arrived I was slightly underwhelmed; I was even more underwhelmed at the first results; throw in the dugouts, SAS, and Squidgate and the fact that we were worse off than under Archie, I wanted him out the door.

Then we had a great run at the beginning of the year, and I thought well, he's got his own guys in at last maybe he just needed to get rid of the deadwood, so ok things are looking up, maybe he can stay. First half of the County game I felt that against the top of the league we could have (and probably should have) scored every time we went up the park - don't know when I last felt that about a Thistle side, it was exhilarating. He can definitely stay. Then the second half collapse.  One of the worst capitulations I have seen in about 56 years of watching the Jags - but not THE worst - I seem to remember being four up against Dundee away back in the early 60's where we drew 4-4 - the historians can tell me if I've got that right.

Then the abject surrender at East End Park - time to go.

Wait a minute though, an away win against the Arabs and two great performances against the club that (believes it) is the third force in Scottish football, probably done out of a semi-final place by cheating/incompetent/intimidated officials ...

I haven't seen Caldo as being the right fit for us, but he has one we can relate to … sheer, utter unpredictability. 

Do I want  Caldwell to go or to stay? Haven't a clue, ask me on the 4th of May.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
typo as usual -
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Frankly, I presently have no idea where I stand on this one any more.

When he arrived I was slightly underwhelmed; I was even more underwhelmed at the first results; throw in the dugouts, SAS, and Squidgate and the fact that we were worse off than under Archie, I wanted him out the door.

Then we had a great run at the beginning of the year, and I thought well, he's got his own guys in at last maybe he just needed to get rid of the deadwood, so ok things are looking up, maybe he can stay. First half of the County game I felt that against the top of the league we could have (and probably should have) scored every time we went up the park - don't know when I last felt that about a Thistle side, it was exhilarating. He can definitely stay. Then the second half collapse.  One of the worst capitulations I have seen in about 56 years of watching the Jags - but not THE worst - I seem to remember being four up against Dundee away back in the early 60's where we drew 4-4 - the historians can tell me if I've got that right.

Then the abject surrender at East End Park - time to go.

Wait a minute though, an away win against the Arabs and two great performances against the club that (believes it) is the third force in Scottish football, probably done out of a semi-final place by cheating/incompetent/intimidated officials ...

I haven't seen Caldo as being the right fit for us, but he has one we can relate to … sheer, utter unpredictability. 

Do I want  Caldwell to go or to stay? Haven't a clue, ask me on the 4th of May.

It was a home win against the Arabs. Everything else spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it was! I misremembered  it as an away game as I knew I wouldn't be going well in advance (I rarely go to away games), but it was because of a family gathering, not because it was on the burning sand of Tannadice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

So it was! I misremembered  it as an away game as I knew I wouldn't be going well in advance (I rarely go to away games), but it was because of a family gathering, not because it was on the burning sand of Tannadice!

Old age/supporting Thistle for so long. Both plausible reasons for our memory/ lack off.:thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Frankly, I presently have no idea where I stand on this one any more.

When he arrived I was slightly underwhelmed; I was even more underwhelmed at the first results; throw in the dugouts, SAS, and Squidgate and the fact that we were worse off than under Archie, I wanted him out the door.

Then we had a great run at the beginning of the year, and I thought well, he's got his own guys in at last maybe he just needed to get rid of the deadwood, so ok things are looking up, maybe he can stay. First half of the County game I felt that against the top of the league we could have (and probably should have) scored every time we went up the park - don't know when I last felt that about a Thistle side, it was exhilarating. He can definitely stay. Then the second half collapse.  One of the worst capitulations I have seen in about 56 years of watching the Jags - but not THE worst - I seem to remember being four up against Dundee away back in the early 60's where we drew 4-4 - the historians can tell me if I've got that right.

Then the abject surrender at East End Park - time to go.

Wait a minute though, an away win against the Arabs and two great performances against the club that (believes it) is the third force in Scottish football, probably done out of a semi-final place by cheating/incompetent/intimidated officials ...

I haven't seen Caldo as being the right fit for us, but he has one we can relate to … sheer, utter unpredictability. 

Do I want  Caldwell to go or to stay? Haven't a clue, ask me on the 4th of May.

Wanted to like this but that just doesn't justify this post semi. Captures my feelings exactly. My emotions in relation to Caldwell as as up and down as..........(there are children reading!!)

I think the unpredictability you mention in terms of his tactics, formations and more obviously performance and results confuse us. Several times this season I have been in the get him tae [email protected]#k gang, then the team put in a performance and a result and hey presto I've changed my mind again. The RC game sums up his tenure so far. First half we are worldly and everything is to say, should've been 4, 5, 6 up. The second half exposed his tactical failings, yes certain players let him down but from the whistle most of us could see what was happening and he should've packed the midfield, (Sorry, old ground), my point being the managers systems and tactics are very up and down. That said, there have been many improved performances, individual and team, compared to start of the season under AA and his own initial tenure.

I will follow your lead semi and wait until the season is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Wanted to like this but that just doesn't justify this post semi. Captures my feelings exactly. My emotions in relation to Caldwell as as up and down as..........(there are children reading!!)

I think the unpredictability you mention in terms of his tactics, formations and more obviously performance and results confuse us. Several times this season I have been in the get him tae [email protected]#k gang, then the team put in a performance and a result and hey presto I've changed my mind again. The RC game sums up his tenure so far. First half we are worldly and everything is to say, should've been 4, 5, 6 up. The second half exposed his tactical failings, yes certain players let him down but from the whistle most of us could see what was happening and he should've packed the midfield, (Sorry, old ground), my point being the managers systems and tactics are very up and down. That said, there have been many improved performances, individual and team, compared to start of the season under AA and his own initial tenure.

I will follow your lead semi and wait until the season is over.

I can second this 100% 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Old age/supporting Thistle for so long. Both plausible reasons for our memory/ lack off.:thumbsup:

Aye! Like an old boxer, too many head punches!

By the way do you remember the 4-4 game against Dundee? I didn't imagine it did I?! Not that any Jag of nay age would find it not credible!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Aye! Like an old boxer, too many head punches!

By the way do you remember the 4-4 game against Dundee? I didn't imagine it did I?! Not that any Jag of nay age would find it not credible!!

Sorry can't remember much from the early games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, Paukea said:

With Falkirk beating Ayr on Friday yesterday’s win was massive and started a huge week Perfectly for our club.

On Tuesday he has the chance to take us to Hampden (McDermid Park?) where we would have a great chance to reach a Scottish Cup Final. “Oh how we would all love that”

On Saturday as we head to Falkirk  we could  be 4 points behind if they manage to beat County on Tuesday which means by 16:45 we could be 7 adrift. 

I suppose every remaining fixture is huge but with the Cup thrown in this week Caldwell has a chance to maybe turn even the most critical supporter into a fan of his.

 

So the week is up. One glorious win. A glorious defeat and a draw away to an on form Falkirk . I think most of us would have taken that in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So the week is up. One glorious win. A glorious defeat and a draw away to an on form Falkirk . I think most of us would have taken that in advance.

Agree. Still a long way to go. A win on Friday is a must imo. We need to win all our remaining home games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

So the week is up. One glorious win. A glorious defeat and a draw away to an on form Falkirk . I think most of us would have taken that in advance.

A glorious defeat? Oh my! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×