Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Well, we have 7 league games left to save our season. Falkirk have 6, Alloa 8 games.

We are unlikely to beat Ross County away and we have an inferior goal difference to both Falkirk & Alloa.

Its going to be tough and I fear it may not be settled until our last 3 games. If we can beat Alloa at Firhill on 20th April and take 4 points off Ayr in our last 2 games against them, we might just do it.  But leaving it this late is going to shred everyone’s nerves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Well, we have 7 league games left to save our season. Falkirk have 6, Alloa 8 games.

We are unlikely to beat Ross County away and we have an inferior goal difference to both Falkirk & Alloa.

Its going to be tough and I fear it may not be settled until our last 3 games. If we can beat Alloa at Firhill on 20th April and take 4 points off Ayr in our last 2 games against them, we might just do it.  But leaving it this late is going to shred everyone’s nerves.

Not disagreeing with your analysis but on the factual point, having played 28 games, we have 8 left, in common with Morton and Queen of the South. Falkirk have 7 left and Alloa have 9.

42 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Not disagreeing with your analysis but on the factual point, having played 28 games, we have 8 left, in common with Morton and Queen of the South. Falkirk have 7 left and Alloa have 9.

Was just going on the BBC fixtures list. It must be at 6’s and 7’s ;)

If we can keep our form going from January we will be fine. If we don't we won't be fine. There are 5 teams in this dog fight, not three. Every game is helluva important and I doubt it will be decided until the last couple of games of the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

The league is so tight. Still an outside chance of getting into promotion playoff too! Unlikely, but you never know! 

I’ve not had a drink, honest!

For sure you are due a pint or two for continuing to demonstrate so much faith this late in the season!!

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

The league is so tight. Still an outside chance of getting into promotion playoff too! Unlikely, but you never know! 

I’ve not had a drink, honest!

This is the first update we have had from the chair in months.:happy2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Craig Slater has said in the news over the weekend that PTFC are, 'too good to go down'. I would disagree, and football history is littered with stories of teams that were too good to go down. Sunderland are a good example of a fine team sleepwalking into a relegation battle and not being able to deal with a hungrier more committed opponents, our own efforts against Livingston last season showed that footballing skill can be nullified by 100% effort, commitment and an opposition manager that has a game plan A and a game plan B.

37 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Craig Slater has said in the news over the weekend that PTFC are, 'too good to go down'. I would disagree, and football history is littered with stories of teams that were too good to go down. Sunderland are a good example of a fine team sleepwalking into a relegation battle and not being able to deal with a hungrier more committed opponents, our own efforts against Livingston last season showed that footballing skill can be nullified by 100% effort, commitment and an opposition manager that has a game plan A and a game plan B.

I don't think we are sleepwalking given our recent efforts. Players always make cliched remarks like that. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I don't think we are sleepwalking given our recent efforts. Players always make cliched remarks like that. 

If players believe in what they are saying to the press, then the team, as a collective group, could simply fail to get the required points to avoid relegation / play-offs. Perhaps he is just saying the 'normal arguments' to the press?? or perhaps he actually believes what he saying is true?? We will know the answer to that on the 4th of May at 17.00. I'm worried that the old chestnut of 'too good to go down' is even part of a players vocabulary given what happened to PTFC last season.

Would pay more attention to routine mutterings in the press if one of our players came out and said he didn't think we have the quality to avoid relegation. 

Anyways I've just read Slater's direct quotes in the ET and I suggest he conducts the post match interviews rather than our manager. Certainly describes the way a match developed a hell of lot more accurately than Mr Caldwell does whenever a BBC mic is thrust under his trap.

• Like 1

Interesting if you look at Caldwell's tenure - 

With Archibald's players he got 5 points from 30 available. - Alan himself took 9 from 24 points (so from August to December 31st with Archie's signing we took 14 points from 54 available)

Since January and making his signings he's taken 15 points from 27 available. (Thats 1 more point we have taken from half the amount of games)

Obviously the problem is that overall thats 20 points from a possible 57 which is still relegation form, even with the upturn in form since January. (GC's total)

If  we win on Friday against Inverness I would reckon we have a good chance of staying up. Lose however and its going to be a real relegation scrap. 

If he keeps us up, I'd like to see Caldwell given a chance next season. If not then he should leave. Simple.

Edited by stuart_adam
  • Like 1

• admin locked this topic