Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Patronising crud from the official web-s#ite:

Thistle Manager, Gary Caldwell, said: “The Club has been given this opportunity to train in warm weather at a pivotal stage in the season for us. After last night’s result, it’s crucial that the players regroup and focus on how to take the most out of the remaining games. Spending time away together with that sole intention can only help prepare them, both physically and mentally, for a massive run of games.”

The fact that he has to make such a statement in a vain attempt to justify the holiday beggars belief - Tenerife? - The proof of the pudding will be in Greenock!

5 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Patronising crud from the official web-s#ite:

Thistle Manager, Gary Caldwell, said: “The Club has been given this opportunity to train in warm weather at a pivotal stage in the season for us. After last night’s result, it’s crucial that the players regroup and focus on how to take the most out of the remaining games. Spending time away together with that sole intention can only help prepare them, both physically and mentally, for a massive run of games.”

The fact that he has to make such a statement in a vain attempt to justify the holiday beggars belief - Tenerife? - The proof of the pudding will be in Greenock!

Don’t know what you think but I think it actually puts the players and the manager under more pressure trying to justify going away at this time of the season 

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t know what you think but I think it actually puts the players and the manager under more pressure trying to justify going away at this time of the season 

Possibly. If we had won last night most fans wouldn't give a toss. We lost a vital game so the critism is justified. Slim margins. 

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I sure hope you are joking AJ.

I am still going through habit and a blind loyalty which WILL NOT be extended to next season if we get relegated again and the incompetent is still in charge.

Jlow and Caldwell need to go before they kill our club. We might never survive or recover from another relegation.

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

You mean there is another inept board chairperson, chief exec as gullable as ours that will fall for his p1sh?

Being sarcastic. As far as being a football manager, Caldwell should come with a health warning. Something like 'employing this guy as a manager will seriously damage your football club'. For the record no matter what league we are in I will always go to Firhill.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Being sarcastic. As far as being a football manager, Caldwell should come with a health warning. Something like 'employing this guy as a manager will seriously damage your football club'. For the record no matter what league we are in I will always go to Firhill.

Haha, yes, he should right enough, like packets of cigarettes, they could include pictures of him in "motivation" mode, a pic of his defeat face.

I know, I will keep going too. I was just venting. I've tried so hard in the past not to go in an effort to register my protest but have, failed so badly.. Saturday comes and I just can't help myself. Doesn't stop me threatening it when I get angry though. 

Here's one for you. In your time, where does Caldwell rank in all time worst Thistle managers?

For me up until last night he was behind Billy Lamont. Then I heard caldwells BBC interview and, Lamont came across as a nice guy, Caldwell comes across as an arse so for now Caldwell pips him to pole position. To be fair, cos Caldwell is current, it feels more raw. I remember a game at broomfield, we lost 4-1 and there was a very loud jags protest after the game. About 500 or so refusing to leave the ground. Lamont brought all of the players out onto the pitch for a dressing down, in from of the fans, very crass. Don't think Lamont managed again after Thistle, must check that.

The eighties was a poor period Johnstone and Lamont. Of course John McVeigh was another poor one. Caldwell is up there with the worst of them

25 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Haha, yes, he should right enough, like packets of cigarettes, they could include pictures of him in "motivation" mode, a pic of his defeat face.

I know, I will keep going too. I was just venting. I've tried so hard in the past not to go in an effort to register my protest but have, failed so badly.. Saturday comes and I just can't help myself. Doesn't stop me threatening it when I get angry though. 

Here's one for you. In your time, where does Caldwell rank in all time worst Thistle managers?

For me up until last night he was behind Billy Lamont. Then I heard caldwells BBC interview and, Lamont came across as a nice guy, Caldwell comes across as an arse so for now Caldwell pips him to pole position. To be fair, cos Caldwell is current, it feels more raw. I remember a game at broomfield, we lost 4-1 and there was a very loud jags protest after the game. About 500 or so refusing to leave the ground. Lamont brought all of the players out onto the pitch for a dressing down, in from of the fans, very crass. Don't think Lamont managed again after Thistle, must check that.

Of course I could add Tommy Bryce and Gerry Collins.

Edited by Auld Jag

Just now, Charlie Endell said:

Lamont went on to manage Falkirk again (briefly), Dumbarton and Alloa - I was curious, so looked up the incredibly reliable Wikipedia...

It’s between Lamont and Johnstone for worst manager during my time attending Thistle matches. Plenty of other strong candidates though. 

The list is long. Cormack, Rooney, Johnstone, Lamont, Bryce,MacLeod,Collins,The Bunnet, and a few I've missed no doubt.

• Like 1

In my time watching Thistle regularly Calwell is our 14th manager. I can genuinely say that only four of them have not been an absolute disaster. 

Of the first ten, only one wasn't. So you could say we're currently on a decent run.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

“Warning: heavy Caldwell use can cause:

Nervous or paranoid behaviour

Slowed reaction time

Lack of motivation

Anxiety

Impaired judgment

Distorted perception

Relegation”

Don’t do drugs kids.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The eighties was a poor period Johnstone and Lamont. Of course John McVeigh was another poor one. Caldwell is up there with the worst of them

Of course I could add Tommy Bryce and Gerry Collins.

Shiver down the spine:thinking:

I think Gary Caldwell did well in the January transfer window but there seem to be other problems going on. Perhaps he has annoyed a number of players and he is certainly persistent in certain approaches to playing games of football, even if something more straightforward might work better. I know little about football tactics, however.

There are other problems which long predate Gary Caldwell, and I'm certain we'd have been in a relegation battle with Alan Archibald and very possibly with any other available candidate too.

I struggle to think of any convincing, comfortable league game performances over the past 3-4 years. The finger always hovers over the self-destruct button and there is a weak mentality which has been pervasive for a long time. This will only really change with a 10 game or more good run of form from a comfortable league position (Alan Archibald certainly wasn't acheiving that).

I'm pretty convinced Gary Caldwell wants to be a successful football manager but he has a difficult task on his hands - as I suspect his Chesterfield job was. He'll be nowhere near another job in England unless he were to get Thistle promoted and playing convincingly in the top flight. He could arguably be sacked from the Thistle job now, but are there any real good options here at all for us?

He has 7 (+\- 2) games remaining to realistically save his career in management. We can't afford any bad performances in these games, and I think we do have a groupd of players who are capable of getting out of this situation. But they will need to be interested, motivated and the starting line ups will have to right.

I'm sure we are all desperate for us to succeed.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

The list is long. Cormack, Rooney, Johnstone, Lamont, Bryce,MacLeod,Collins,The Bunnet, and a few I've missed no doubt.

And Sandy Clark would push Caldwell for the luckiest...........remember when Lambie left to go back to Hamilton and we appointed Clark. The next game we played was on TV so Clark made himself captain and led the team out in front of the cameras. I remember being a very angry bunny at the time. Also think Derek johnstone was guilty of similar behaviour

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

And Sandy Clark would push Caldwell for the luckiest...........remember when Lambie left to go back to Hamilton and we appointed Clark. The next game we played was on TV so Clark made himself captain and led the team out in front of the cameras. I remember being a very angry bunny at the time. 

Which match was this? If it was the Hamilton match at Firhill ( highlights on TV ) Clark was a sub.

Joking aside, I don't honestly feel Caldwell as anywhere near as bad as the some of the names which gave me a shudder as I read them. Just as I don't see Bunter in the same class as McParland etc., I don't see Caldo in the same league as Rooney, Johnstone, Lamont, Bryce, MacLeod, Collins.

Sandy Clark, must be in a class of his own, possibly the worst of all in 55/56 years of watching the Jags, though Scot Symon would give him a run for his money. Difference with Symon was that in those days a club manager was a very distant figure as far as the players were concerned, more of a figurehead really.

I just don't  think Caldo's cut out to be a manager. Possibly he's now found his level as a tour leader on packages holidays to Spain. Barring miracles, his career is finished now.

Im my time (which is 40 years)

Lambie

Auld

McCALL/Archibald

McNamara- apart from they way he left

Bryce - who was done over by save the jags

Campbell

Briton/Whyte

Cormack

Caldwell

Lamont

rooney

Macleod

McVeigh

Clark

Johnstone

Clark

So Caldwell could be classed as best of the worst ?

48 minutes ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

Im my time (which is 40 years)

Lambie

Auld

McCALL/Archibald

McNamara- apart from they way he left

Bryce - who was done over by save the jags

Campbell

Briton/Whyte

Cormack

Caldwell

Lamont

rooney

Macleod

McVeigh

Clark

Johnstone

Clark

So Caldwell could be classed as best of the worst ?

I presume that you want to put Davie McParland in somewhere near the top?

Sandy Clark is both worst and third worst simultaneously.

Collins, Whyte & Britton, Tommy Bryce, Sandy Clark and Derek Johnston where guys who just were never managers. A complete mistake from start to finish and most of them would probably admit they weren't any good as managers as most of them never took another managers post.

Caldwell falls into the same category as McVeigh, Rooney, Lamont and Campbell. Guys who had a previous record as a manager and were expected to move us forward not just keep us in the league. Lamont, McVeigh and Rooney had excuses that they didn't have the budget to compete but the same can't be said for Campbell and Caldwell.

The problem for Thistle and other clubs of our size is when you have back to back poor appontments. For example we could have survived giving Collins a go if we hadn't followed it up with Whyte & Britton conversely Clark was terrible but the club pretty quickly realised the mistake re-appointed Lambie and we went forward.

If Caldwell is more in the category of not a complete mistake but not the guy to take us forward then hopefully we avoid relegation and the board replace him at the end of the season. Hopefully someone like McCall is available at that point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

In my 50 years of supporting Thistle there have been only 4 successful managers. McParland, Auld,Lambie and Archibald. 

McCall was probably the next level down.

The rest? Not so great.

That sums it up nicely.

With more time, McCall might have made it to the next level. Maybe next time?

• admin locked this topic