Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Putting it in the context of today's result, anyone now think the reaction to the Inverness game was a bit over the top? Particularly considering it came off the back if a win over Dundee United and an away draw at Falkirk, plus a decent showing against Hearts?

Looking at it as a whole, form this year has been pretty decent, good enough to have a bit of confidence. I don't think we should be calling for the manager's head after every defeat, tempting as it is after all w've been through.

• Like 1

Don’t think it was an over-reaction Allyo. The manager, and his signings, are still to prove themselves in my opinion. They rightly get criticised when they play poorly. They got us into this mess and they need to get us out of it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Don’t think it was an over-reaction Allyo. The manager, and his signings, are still to prove themselves in my opinion. They rightly get criticised when they play poorly. They got us into this mess and they need to get us out of it.

I agree with that. They deserved criticism. I just thought it went too far. But I said it around Christmas, the position we'd got ourselves in, we were only ever going to be one game away from a crisis. That's why I then thought he had to go.

but there's been improvement, and he's here for the season now, so I'm backing him.

Worth adding that the fans really backed the team today. No anti Caldwell sentiment around me. May of course have been different if Morton been ahead.....most fans realise we won't win every single game and their will be blips, but there is some consistency evident. Our away form in particular is far better than it has been in our recent history. I'm still hopeful of that 6th spot. I think someone mentioned hat eating possibilities....

3 hours ago, allyo said:

Putting it in the context of today's result, anyone now think the reaction to the Inverness game was a bit over the top? Particularly considering it came off the back if a win over Dundee United and an away draw at Falkirk, plus a decent showing against Hearts?

Looking at it as a whole, form this year has been pretty decent, good enough to have a bit of confidence. I don't think we should be calling for the manager's head after every defeat, tempting as it is after all w've been through.

First 10 games of Caldwell's  tenure we got 5 points. Next 11 games, which is 5th January right up to today 18 points. We are back in the pack but still a long way to go. We need to keep our 2019 form going.

31 minutes ago, sandy said:

Reality check; we are only back in 8th place, where we were in October. Survival will be a relief not a celebration.

Reality check. If we beat or draw with QoS to secure our Championship status I’ll be celebrating like ****!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sandy said:

Reality check; we are only back in 8th place, where we were in October. Survival will be a relief not a celebration.

I would celebrate. We were 8th in October but by Christmas we were in a bad bad place and I had us down. If we get out of this season in the same league I'll be very very happy, and hopefully we'll be better placed to give it a decent go next season.

4 hours ago, north stander said:

Played 11, this is form table for last 10   (the one game excluded from this was the 1-1 tannadice draw)

Interesting stats. If we had beaten inverness we would have had the best form in the league over the last ten games. If we stay up I'll be semi happy but not elated. Also if we can keep this level of results up we can go into next season with decent expectations of challenging for promotion. My reality is that anything could happen between now and the end of the season.

….. 'he had done an analysis of each player, identified a training schedule to deal with the fitness levels and pulled together a vision of how to get Thistle playing well enough to secure promotion. Put simply, he plans to build a strong defence that allows us to then push forward and play attacking football. Gary’s proposals were detailed and realistic'. [statement from the club when GC was given the job]

Well something must have clicked during the trip to Tenerife. Two things to be highlighted is Doolan back on the scoresheet and hopefully is showings the beginnings of some sort of form, and we had a clean sheet after 7 game on the trot where we have conceded at least one goal. I think the attacking football and strong defence boxes were ticked during the Morton game?

Somethings that occurs to me watching the games this season is if we score early in the game, we start to play a better style of football, with that in mind if we can really pressure the Dunfermline defence in next Saturdays game, we could do some real damage to that team [they played so badly against Ayr United on Friday night]. One early goal could lead to real confidence building result, and if we can have another clean sheet, the defence will start to have a bit more belief in their skills …. fingers crossed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allyo said:

I would celebrate. We were 8th in October but by Christmas we were in a bad bad place and I had us down. If we get out of this season in the same league I'll be very very happy, and hopefully we'll be better placed to give it a decent go next season.

Agree with this. Not a told you so moment, promise. I was not alone in posting last close and pre season of the dangers of a double relegation. It is very very hard for relegated teams to firstly arrest a downward spiral and secondly to engender a winning mentality. 

Yes, I know RC have done it but that's an exception rather than a rule. So I will join you in a celebration allyo. Muted somewhat, and a large dose of relief thrown in, but worthy of celebration if we stay up after what we have all gone through this past 20 or so months.

9 minutes ago, sandy said:

Well there you go, back into the bottom two tonight. Progress? Nah...

Another big weekend coming up. Falkirk vAlloa  and QOS v Morton. We really need 3points against Dunfermline. Anybody else noticed, if our ghost goal against Morton would have counted, like it should have, we would have a better goal difference than Morton. How important will that be at the end of the season?

18 minutes ago, sandy said:

Tonight's results were decent for us. We're in the bottom two but the three teams above us are all cachable within one game, and have between them won one game out of their last 12. Look at the league table after the Falkirk game in January and tell me there's been no progress.

You know Sandy that I was supportive of Archie, and very unimpressed with Caldwell before the turn of the year. But to suggest there hasn't been progress since the mess we were in then is clearly blinkered.

If we finish anywhere between 5th and 8th this season then it will go down as a disappointing but not a disastrous season. But Caldwell took on a team in 8th place that was devoid of confidence and going backwards. So if we finish in one of these positions I'm not saying it will be any spectacular success, but neither will it be a sacking offence.

Plenty twists and turns yet. On current evidence we can survive this season, but it's probably going to go all the way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

But to suggest there hasn't been progress since the mess we were in then is clearly blinkered.

Allyo, you know I respect your views. But there is one little detail you are missing; we are a place BELOW where Archie left us. 

How can that be progress? And from a manager who was hired to get us promotion? 

5 hours ago, allyo said:

Tonight's results were decent for us. We're in the bottom two but the three teams above us are all cachable within one game, and have between them won one game out of their last 12. Look at the league table after the Falkirk game in January and tell me there's been no progress.

You know Sandy that I was supportive of Archie, and very unimpressed with Caldwell before the turn of the year. But to suggest there hasn't been progress since the mess we were in then is clearly blinkered.

If we finish anywhere between 5th and 8th this season then it will go down as a disappointing but not a disastrous season. But Caldwell took on a team in 8th place that was devoid of confidence and going backwards. So if we finish in one of these positions I'm not saying it will be any spectacular success, but neither will it be a sacking offence.

Plenty twists and turns yet. On current evidence we can survive this season, but it's probably going to go all the way.

There clearly has been progress since the January window.  However, it's the form when Caldwell took over before the window that has caused us to be in the position we are.  Have a look at the table when Gary took over. 

7 hours ago, sandy said:

Jeese Louise Sandy, I don't know you but I really hope there's someone in your life to give you a big cuddle mate because your posts are a wee bit depressing these days. For what it's worth, while I was very sad to see Archie, my favourite Thistle player of the last thirty years,  go the club were left with no real alternative option. I'm not convinced about Caldwell either, especially given his record with other teams, but there's at least a bit of optimism these days that we're actually showing signs of being able to compete. My analogy would be that Caldwell inherited a taxi with four bald tyres and had to drive that taxi until January before he was allowed to change the tyres. So it's only fair that he's measured on his 'driving' from January in my book. 

Come the summer when he gets to upgrade the engine and tart up the interior, we'll be able to judge him totally but for the moment I'm in the "he's made things better" camp.

7 hours ago, sandy said:

And as sure as night follows day.....at this rate you will be posting our league position during the games....every 5 minute as the score changes in each game. 

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic