Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

19 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

September game

Holy Mother, I honestly thought you were referring to the game at Firhill 0-1 when they were all trying to stay fit and available for the Cup Final.

I'd prefer to forget that game 0-3 at Fir Park because we were absolutely howling that day. However, if as you allude to, he'd lost the dressing room that early then how on earth did he survive the 0-2 against managerless Kilmarnock in early October?

The cracks in the dressing room must have been obvious to the insiders then - the ones on the field were certainly obvious to me at that point.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Was the game at Fir Park 

Thanks for the reply. Any particular reason why he lost the dressing room at that point?

We were rank that day but it was the peak of the injuries and as a result of that our starting eleven had some real dross in it. However with the exception of starting Lawless and Erskine its difficult to see that he got the starting selection for that game wildly wrong with what was available, maybe subbing Doolan for Sammon rather than Storey would have upset some.  Did the players just think that Archie had made a mess of the summer recruitment and got the feeling we were fighting a losing battle?

As Barney Rubble says it seems odd that he lost the dressing room in September he was allowed to continue. The Kilmarnock game the week later was the first game were I thought he should go. Perhaps the result against Dundee 2 weeks later let him carry on and makes you wonder what would have happened if those 2 late goals hadn't gone in?

The game v Motherwell he played Barton and Edwards as the the 2 in a  4-2-3-1, IIRC, and they were comprehensively destroyed by Motherwell.

We got lucky v Dundee (Cerny penalty save and last minute Storey goal).

After which we beat St Johnstone 1-0 with Miles Storey's superb goal (yes!).

In between those two came one of the games that majorly ****** us up - the  midweek at NDP when Archie held for a point at a time when Hamilton were on a downer (5 defeats in a row??)  and a single point above us.  They were there for the taking that night.  A win in that game on top of the (frankly flukey) win v Dundee could have provided impetus.  

However AA set us up not to lose.

Games like that need to be won.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

The game v Motherwell he played Barton and Edwards as the the 2 in a  4-2-3-1, IIRC, and they were comprehensively destroyed by Motherwell.

We got lucky v Dundee (Cerny penalty save and last minute Storey goal).

After which we beat St Johnstone 1-0 with Miles Storey's superb goal (yes!).

In between those two came one of the games that majorly ****** us up - the  midweek at NDP when Archie held for a point at a time when Hamilton were on a downer (5 defeats in a row??)  and a single point above us.  They were there for the taking that night.  A win in that game on top of the (frankly flukey) win v Dundee could have provided impetus.  

However AA set us up not to lose.

Games like that need to be won.

You have just reminded me of that dreadful night at Hamilton. Both teams were equally awful. All I can remember were constant long balls gathering pace when bouncing on the concrete surface and running out of play. 0-0 written all over it from about 5 minutes in, and Barney, you are quite right, we were far too quick to settle for that point. The game was crying out for a change of tactics that never came.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Thistleberight said:

Aye and naw.

Because we are not allowed in the dressing room (grasping the thistle apart) we'll never know what personalities compliment others and who benefits who etc

Since Erskine left results and performances have been erratic. Up and down. Good and bad and very very bad. It's impossible to know or indeed to judge what impact if any, erskines departure has had on the team. What influence, (positive or negative) he might have brought to bare had he played 2nd half against RC say. What impact, (again positive or negative)he would have had v ICT. Likewise with him playing would we have had results v DUFC or Morton had he been here and playing. Would have have turned the game v Falkirk into a win? Do you see what I'm getting at? I just think you're being a little harsh allyo, a little reactionary? No?

No I don't think so. I was only stating a fact.

I was a big fan of Chris Erskine and I was sorry to see him go. I'm not in any way suggesting that we have performed better because he left. As you say, we'll never really know.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

No I don't think so. I was only stating a fact.

I was a big fan of Chris Erskine and I was sorry to see him go. I'm not in any way suggesting that we have performed better because he left. As you say, we'll never really know.

Me too. Loved watching him. Even when things weren't coming off for him he kept going and you just never knew what he'd get up to good or bad. Even during his poorest spell when he got on the ball my expectations rose.

Time to revive this thread. The 7 days and 2 hours from 3pm on Saturday 20th April to 5pm on Saturday 27th April are MASSIVE with a capital M, not just for Caldwell, but for Partick Thistle Football Club and all whose hope and well-being is caught up with its success or failure.

There are 3 potential outcomes to the 36 game league season, and all of them are eminently possible.

SURVIVAL

PLAY-OFFS

AUTOMATIC RELEGATION.

How many of these dishes will still be on the menu at the end of this mega-massive 7 days? 

Possibly just one if we hit the heights or plumb the depths, maybe two if we are middling to good or middling to poor. 

Or will we go to Dumfries with more options than in a referendum or in a sliding doors movie?  Fate in our hands or in the hands of rivals or in the hands of teams who could not care less?

Will events in far away stadia bring grief, gratitude or total incomprehension? How will the Toblerone crumble?

Caldwell’s first game in charge was a 1-0 loss to Alloa. It would be fearful symmetry if his last game in charge was a defeat to Alloa tomorrow. 

If we do anything but get 3 points at Firhill, the Board need to have the cojones to say enough is enough tomorrow evening. 

Doolan & Skippy as interim management team would then have 3 games, with a player morale bounce, to pull us out of the mire. We’d then have the summer to appoint a new manager and re-build the 2019/20 squad around Banzo, Fitzy & Sneddon. 

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Caldwell’s first game in charge was a 1-0 loss to Alloa. It would be fearful symmetry if his last game in charge was a defeat to Alloa tomorrow. 

If we do anything but get 3 points at Firhill, the Board need to have the cojones to say enough is enough tomorrow evening. 

Doolan & Skippy as interim management team would then have 3 games, with a player morale bounce, to pull us out of the mire. We’d then have the summer to appoint a new manager and re-build the 2019/20 squad around Banzo, Fitzy & Sneddon. 

Defeat tomorrow and we should send the Alloa team and officials merrily on their way up the M80 minus a certain James Goodwin.

I'm told Alloa FC would not be difficult to deal with re compensation. Freeing him from his job with the sweetie company would tho' be a sticky point (npi). Maybe not a bad time to approach him when his chocolate bars will be melting and with his cream egg sales about to plummet. 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Much as I'd like him, why on earth would Goodwin want to come to thistle even if we do survive ? I would expect him to have his sights on a decent Premier League side or down south.

Sad to say, but no matter what happens, I am expecting GC to be in charge at the start of next season.

Agree. I don't think Goodwin will be manager at Alloa next season but he wont be our manager either. We have missed the boat on that one I think. Also agree re Caldwell, unfortunately.

• admin locked this topic