Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

Its pretty clear that no matter what our positive results are some want Caldwell out. Fair enough but the results show we are heading in the right direction. I'll predict that if we beat Ayr it will because they are only saving energy for the play offs or they have injuries or McCall let us win. The never ending anti Caldwell rhetoric is as dull as it is predictable. For the record his quotes in the media attributed to him show he admits he got it wrong. He gave all the credit to the players. That's good management in my book. 

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

I’d be happy with 4 points from the Ayr games. I’d be happy to avoid relegation, 

Do I think Caldwell is the manager to lead us back into the top flight? No. 

Is all about opinions, you see.

Absolutely. My opinion is that the majority of thistle fans will happily give Caldwell more time IF the last few games go in our favour. Let's hope they do for the greater good.

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Absolutely. My opinion is that the majority of thistle fans will happily give Caldwell more time IF the last few games go in our favour. Let's hope they do for the greater good.

Why should we retain the services of a man who has failed in attaining the target put forward to him in the remittance from the board?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Its pretty clear that no matter what our positive results are some want Caldwell out. Fair enough but the results show we are heading in the right direction. I'll predict that if we beat Ayr it will because they are only saving energy for the play offs or they have injuries or McCall let us win. The never ending anti Caldwell rhetoric is as dull as it is predictable. For the record his quotes in the media attributed to him show he admits he got it wrong. He gave all the credit to the players. That's good management in my book. 

Yes I picked up on that too and it was refreshing to hear for once. Perhaps if he had been so straightforward in most of his post match interviews folk would be prepared to give him more time. It's the nonsense he's come away with (especially on radio) that has helped to raise doubts about his suitability for football management. So it's encouraging to hear some self criticism. 

Not wanting to take away from your point about the Ayr game. Yes there are people who would sound grudging of a win down there given the opposition are already in the play offs. I do tho' note both Falkirk and Alloa have games as well against clubs that may want to rest players. I doubt I'm alone in feeling uncomfortable knowing that.

I have no doubt if we stay up Caldwell will still be our manager next season. His/Thistle's record since January would Justify that. But I hope that there is no spin about him saving us from relegation. Our previous management team were sacked because the board felt we would not get promotion with them in charge. Caldwell was brought in with 27 games to play to at least challenge for promotion. On that front he has failed miserably.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

I’d be happy with 4 points from the Ayr games. I’d be happy to avoid relegation, 

Which you and GRE repost on just about every thread twelve times a day. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of your opinion regarding the manager, Sandy. Give it a rest for God sake.

Had you noticed we won a game yesterday, moved two points clear of automatic relegation and on Tuesday night a 2-0 win would put us in 6th place?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandy said:

I wasn’t overly enthralled with his appointment as I wanted McCall and Goodwin in that order. However I have been willing to give him a chance, was appalling till January but since we have improved. If he gets us relegated he needs to go but if he keeps us up then I’d give him the first quarter next season to see where it takes us.

you said sandy last week his signings are crap I have to strongly disagree- Harkins Roy have been poor, mansell has been unsure but the rest are far better than the summer. I am more confident that he would sign better over the summer than we did last summer and continue what has been an improvement as well as retain key players 

2 minutes ago, London Exile said:

Which you and GRE repost on just about every thread twelve times a day. I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of your opinion regarding the manager, Sandy. Give it a rest for God sake.

Had you noticed we won a game yesterday, moved two points clear of automatic relegation and on Tuesday night a 2-0 win would put us in 6th place?

Every thread? Twelve times a day? Oh dear! Your post is just drivel.

26 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Every thread? Twelve times a day? Oh dear! Your post is just drivel.

It's pretty accurate. If its not 12 anti caldwell posts it certainly feels like it. Sometimes it needs called out. Anyway my theory why we won? Caldwell knew in advance the weather would be roasting. Tenerife acclimitisation.....genius

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, London Exile said:

Yeah mate, I was at the game. Doh.

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Why should we retain the services of a man who has failed in attaining the target put forward to him in the remittance from the board?

It's a bit more comp[lex than that though.

He inherited a pile of dross last October, and probably genuinely believed he could get more out of them than the previous incumbent had.

10 weeks later he came to the conclusion that Bell, Storer, Ntwambe, Quitongo, Scobbie, Keown and Andrea whatsisname weren't capable of improving under his philosophy so they got dumped. As did Erskine for some reason, which many of us suspect had nothing to do with playing ability.

He made some major upgrades to the squad in January. Anderson, Cardle, Saunders and even the ghost of Harkinho have been improvements. McDonald has been a class apart so for managing to get him on board at all he deserves a gold star. He's also brought in a couple of questionable ones in Roy and Mansell though.

Assuming we stay up, he's probably merited the opportunity to achieve the target you mention next season with his own selected pool of players.

But with no excuses - if we're not driving comfortably down the highway to promotion in October he should be out.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

He inherited a pile of dross last October, and probably genuinely believed he could get more out of them than the previous incumbent had.

10 weeks later he came to the conclusion that Bell, Storer, Ntwambe, Quitongo, Scobbie, Keown and Andrea whatsisname weren't capable of improving under his philosophy so they got dumped. As did Erskine for some reason, which many of us suspect had nothing to do with playing ability.

He made some major upgrades to the squad in January. Anderson, Cardle, Saunders and even the ghost of Harkinho have been improvements. McDonald has been a class apart so for managing to get him on board at all he deserves a gold star. He's also brought in a couple of questionable ones in Roy and Mansell though.

Assuming we stay up, he's probably merited the opportunity to achieve the target you mention next season with his own selected pool of players.

But with no excuses - if we're not driving comfortably down the highway to promotion in October he should be out.

I am afraid this just won't do Mr Rubble - a well thought out post which hits the nail on the head and does not resort to playground levels of name calling. Are you trying to bring this forum in to disrepute?

Give my regards to Betty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fair play to you for doing a complete u turn.

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I am afraid this just won't do Mr Rubble - a well thought out post which hits the nail on the head and does not resort to playground levels of name calling. Are you trying to bring this forum in to disrepute?

Bored to buggery after watching a turgid Hibs-Celtic game.

And now I've got to go round to Fred and Wilma's for Easter dinner....................and suffer Pebbles, Bam-Bam and Dino for the rest of the day.

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

Fair play to you for doing a complete u turn.

I reserve the right to alter my opinion when the facts justify it GRE.

He hasn't kept us up yet, but he has improved the squad.

If (and it's still a big if) he keeps us up, he'll have done a good job given what he inherited.

Is he the person to take us forward? Not convinced, but if he keeps us up he's earned the right to have a go at it.

That's not a u-turn, it's an admission that he may derserve a chance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I reserve the right to alter my opinion when the facts justify it GRE.

He hasn't kept us up yet, but he has improved the squad.

If (and it's still a big if) he keeps us up, he'll have done a good job given what he inherited.

Is he the person to take us forward? Not convinced, but if he keeps us up he's earned the right to have a go at it.

That's not a u-turn, it's an admission that he may derserve a chance.

Ok

31 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Yes indeedy far too sensible 

• admin locked this topic