Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

5 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We must go out for a win on Saturday. I think the best QOS will get on Friday is a draw, we win on Saturday. Its a day out in Dumfries the following week.

Taking nothing for granted - but last game being at Dumfries reminds me of "the huddle in the middle".  Does anyone else remember that and if so can he tell me when that was and where we finished in the league?

32 minutes ago, QXBoy said:

Taking nothing for granted - but last game being at Dumfries reminds me of "the huddle in the middle".  Does anyone else remember that and if so can he tell me when that was and where we finished in the league?

Berwick Rangers. We won 0-1 thanks to a goal from Martin Hardie and went on to win whatever the third tier was then called.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

The league table this calendar year 

BA73957A-1323-40D3-909A-45329DC22BD3.png

That was my off-the-top-of-the-head calculation, 3rd spot; will be interesting to revisit that after the next two games.

If GC can keep the momentum going, he'll have almost justified a crack at next season. I said almost.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
usual tyops!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

The league table this calendar year 

BA73957A-1323-40D3-909A-45329DC22BD3.png

Thanks Gary. But the league starts in August and the aim was promotion. Yes, 2019 has proved to be better than the first half of the season. But ultimately, the ambition has not been realised.

I think we should now stay up,  in form and playing two bang out of form teams, one of whom has nothing to play for.

From where we were in January, this is a great turnaround, and Cardle and MacDonald deserve much credit for that, as does Caldwell.

I haven't warmed to Caldwell at all, but credit where its due.

With O'Ware back next season (who I think is a super player), I hope we will be involved at the other end of the table. It could conceivably be quite a weak league next season and so there is every reason to be optimistic.

I would say that two divisions have happened in recent times. The fans became divided over Archie. And I think there has also been a disconnect between the club and the fans at times on various issues. Archie is now long gone, and its time for everyone to move on from those two divisive things. That's up to everyone, and then we can swing behind the team and manager next season and be united in pushing for promotion.  I know I will be, and I hope all including my fellow Sandy will be doing the same!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaf said:

I think we should now stay up,  in form and playing two bang out of form teams, one of whom has nothing to play for.

From where we were in January, this is a great turnaround, and Cardle and MacDonald deserve much credit for that, as does Caldwell.

I haven't warmed to Caldwell at all, but credit where its due.

With O'Ware back next season (who I think is a super player), I hope we will be involved at the other end of the table. It could conceivably be quite a weak league next season and so there is every reason to be optimistic.

I would say that two divisions have happened in recent times. The fans became divided over Archie. And I think there has also been a disconnect between the club and the fans at times on various issues. Archie is now long gone, and its time for everyone to move on from those two divisive things. That's up to everyone, and then we can swing behind the team and manager next season and be united in pushing for promotion.  I know I will be, and I hope all including my fellow Sandy will be doing the same!

All of the above I can agree to [assuming Dundee are relegated and no Championship play-off team goes up], but with one caveat ….. That team Fulham when they were relegated and had nothing to play for, started to win games and were scoring goals for fun. Being relegated does strange things to some teams. I think the players need to stay focussed until the final whistle on the 4th of May. 

7 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

On Sportsound to-night, Kenny Miller says Gary Caldwell is going to be a great manager and should be part of the next Scotland setup.

Perhaps a reflection on the status of the national coach?

Maybe one for him and his brother to take on? …. that was the noise [they would work together in future management slot] coming from the brother in Canada when GC was appointed as PTFC manager. 

If we could get a couple of hundred thousand compensation for him that would be a good bit of business for us

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

He has of course no chance of the Scotland job....then again perhaps the infamous PowerPoint presentation may bamboozle the blazers. Maybe after he gets us back up to the SPL ( ducks for cover )

Lets hope after Saturday we are safe and next season we are challenging for promotion.

We obviously don’t know how the next two games will go, but if we assume that we will get something from both, not an outrageous assumption, then if I was GC I would be thinking about how I would play my end of year performance review (assuming that these quaint things happen at such a cuddly club as ours).

I would throw myself at the mercy of the court and, in reference to my pre-January performance, admit wholeheartedly (on my Power Point Presentation)  that I had been far too optimistic about turning around the performance of my predecessor’s duds, that they were worse than I had thought, and I would hold my hand up and accept that I had failed completely (Slides 3-7).

However, I would point out in mitigation that I had since punted said duds and, having now brought my own players into the club, that my performance should be measured from the January window. That being the case I would show (slides 18-23)  that had I had my own squad at my disposal I would have been able to produce the level of performance which would have met the target of ‘challenging for promotion’, a clear and unequivocal definition which means a top 4 finish, as we would be on around 50 points by now. Moreover, I would argue (Slide 27) that had I been brought in at the start of the season (or the end of last season), based on the same level of post-January performance, we would have potentially been challenging County right at the top.

If I wanted to showboat a bit (and he certainly seems the type not to let an opportunity pass) I would point out also (Slide 32) that the player I had brought in as a replacement striker had scored 5 goals (and 2 assists) compared to 1 goal only by the striker I had let go (in roughly the same number of games).

I’m still not sold on the guy, but unless we collapse utterly in the next two games (and our rivals rally) I am guessing that Caldo will be here next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• admin locked this topic