Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

2 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

We obviously don’t know how the next two games will go, but if we assume that we will get something from both, not an outrageous assumption, then if I was GC I would be thinking about how I would play my end of year performance review (assuming that these quaint things happen at such a cuddly club as ours).

I would throw myself at the mercy of the court and, in reference to my pre-January performance, admit wholeheartedly (on my Power Point Presentation)  that I had been far too optimistic about turning around the performance of my predecessor’s duds, that they were worse than I had thought, and I would hold my hand up and accept that I had failed completely (Slides 3-7).

However, I would point out in mitigation that I had since punted said duds and, having now brought my own players into the club, that my performance should be measured from the January window. That being the case I would show (slides 18-23)  that had I had my own squad at my disposal I would have been able to produce the level of performance which would have met the target of ‘challenging for promotion’, a clear and unequivocal definition which means a top 4 finish, as we would be on around 50 points by now. Moreover, I would argue (Slide 27) that had I been brought in at the start of the season (or the end of last season), based on the same level of post-January performance, we would have potentially been challenging County right at the top.

If I wanted to showboat a bit (and he certainly seems the type not to let an opportunity pass) I would point out also (Slide 32) that the player I had brought in as a replacement striker had scored 5 goals (and 2 assists) compared to 1 goal only by the striker I had let go (in roughly the same number of games).

I’m still not sold on the guy, but unless we collapse utterly in the next two games (and our rivals rally) I am guessing that Caldo will be here next year.

My thoughts exactly.....wins the next two games should be in charge next season 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, javeajag said:

My thoughts exactly.....wins the next two games should be in charge next season 

I wasn't saying that those were my thoughts, I think they will be the board's thoughts and Caldo's thoughts, and since they intersect, then that, I think,  is the expected outcome. Personally, for what it's worth, I'd still prefer Bunter or Jim Goodwin; if Caldo remains in charge, and I have accepted the inevitability of that (as far as the Board is concerned, probably regardless of the next two results, our final league position, and our eventual destination next season), then in my view he is still on probation for next season.

1 minute ago, Dark Passenger said:

If Alloa are relegated then Goodwin will, presumably, have failed to meet his objective (despite making a damn good fist of it). Would he remain certain folks' preference then?

If Alloa do go down in the fashion they would have then I don't see why people would change their opinion of him. As red hot favourites to crash out a la Brechin he has done an excellent job with them. His managerial pedigree has only risen this season. Can we say the same about our manager, who was publicly brought in to challenge for promotion?

4 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

If Alloa are relegated then Goodwin will, presumably, have failed to meet his objective (despite making a damn good fist of it). Would he remain certain folks' preference then?

If we stay up without the play off. This and our form since January will mean Caldwell will be our manager. Lets hope we at least challenge for promotion. Was going to type similar to what GRE has put re Goodwin. Would just add not sure what Goodwin's objective would have been. No matter what happens with Alloa, Goodwin will go on to bigger and better things.

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

We obviously don’t know how the next two games will go, but if we assume that we will get something from both, not an outrageous assumption, then if I was GC I would be thinking about how I would play my end of year performance review (assuming that these quaint things happen at such a cuddly club as ours).

I would throw myself at the mercy of the court and, in reference to my pre-January performance, admit wholeheartedly (on my Power Point Presentation)  that I had been far too optimistic about turning around the performance of my predecessor’s duds, that they were worse than I had thought, and I would hold my hand up and accept that I had failed completely (Slides 3-7).

However, I would point out in mitigation that I had since punted said duds and, having now brought my own players into the club, that my performance should be measured from the January window. That being the case I would show (slides 18-23)  that had I had my own squad at my disposal I would have been able to produce the level of performance which would have met the target of ‘challenging for promotion’, a clear and unequivocal definition which means a top 4 finish, as we would be on around 50 points by now. Moreover, I would argue (Slide 27) that had I been brought in at the start of the season (or the end of last season), based on the same level of post-January performance, we would have potentially been challenging County right at the top.

If I wanted to showboat a bit (and he certainly seems the type not to let an opportunity pass) I would point out also (Slide 32) that the player I had brought in as a replacement striker had scored 5 goals (and 2 assists) compared to 1 goal only by the striker I had let go (in roughly the same number of games).

I’m still not sold on the guy, but unless we collapse utterly in the next two games (and our rivals rally) I am guessing that Caldo will be here next year.

Don't think he'll have to sell himself tbh. Our Chairman is besotted...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

If Caldwell is still our manager, which I fully expect he will be, I would not be surprised if Kenny was with us next season. Just to add I have never been a soothsayer.

It is quite easy to become one. You just have to pronounce "south" slightly differently.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I wasn't saying that those were my thoughts, I think they will be the board's thoughts and Caldo's thoughts, and since they intersect, then that, I think,  is the expected outcome. Personally, for what it's worth, I'd still prefer Bunter or Jim Goodwin; if Caldo remains in charge, and I have accepted the inevitability of that (as far as the Board is concerned, probably regardless of the next two results, our final league position, and our eventual destination next season), then in my view he is still on probation for next season.

I don’t disagree but our form since January has significantly improved and it seems not unreasonable to have him next season.....I would expect him to have the same target as Archie had and be reviewed after the first quarter 

Caldwell has still to prove himself - that's obvious. But he's going to be here next season and people need to get over themselves about that. Personally, I don't want Goodwin anywhere near Firhill - organising a team of limited talents to avoid losing on a tight artificial pitch doesn't make you a good manager. And Ayr United fans would be delighted if we took McCall off them given they've got the worst record in the league post-Christmas. I fear that too many people have already made up their minds about Caldwell, based not just on the results but how he comes across. I think the major problem with his managership is that he's too like Alan Archibald! He's a young manager learning on the job and what we needed was an old head to steady the ship. Whatever, it is what it is. If nothing else, the next twelve months should be interesting.

• Like 3

Some people (you know who you are) will never admit they were wrong. 

"Gary Caldwell has failed, he was brought into secure promotion."

What were you expecting him and the board to say? I've come into the club to avoid relegation? The fans would, quite rightly, have went nuts. A new manager coming into a club is always going to be optimistic. The vast majority of fans knew he had a tough job on trying to recover from Alan Archibald's summer transfer madness. 

He's came in, shipped out the absolute dross and will keep us up without the need for play offs. Whisper it but ... Caldwell has turned it around. For example, look at the away form compared to Archie. I know this upsets some people who would like to see him fail. 

Caldwell has won the last two vital games and yet some still slag him off and bring up comments from Kenny Miller about the Scotland set up - give us a break.

Smile, be positive and just admit to yourselves - Caldwell's not as bad as you thought.  

Well done Gary Caldwell. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, Semi Nurainen said:

That was my off-the-top-of-the-head calculation, 3rd spot; will be interesting to revisit that after the next two games.

If GC can keep the momentum going, he'll have almost justified a crack at next season. I said almost.

It pains me but I'm going to have to agree with this. Coupled with how difficult it is to identify a new manager then get them into the club and for that guy or gal to have enough time to make signings for the coming season is horrendously difficult. I would expect/hope that additional signings are being identified to boost the team/squad by Caldwell and his coaching team. Personally on about 5 to 6 performances in the last few months I don't think we are too far away from having a team that can challenge BUT there is obviously the chance this team will be decimated during the close season as like it or not we have a good few quality players that other clubs will covet.

As like sandy and quite a few others I have shared the concerns around Caldwell but as you have posted here semi, he probably is deserving of getting next season. But I still wouldn't lose any sleep if we parted ways close season

1 minute ago, AlwaysOutnumbered... said:

Some people (you know who you are) will never admit they were wrong. 

"Gary Caldwell has failed, he was brought into secure promotion."

What were you expecting him and the board to say? I've come into the club to avoid relegation? The fans would, quite rightly, have went nuts. A new manager coming into a club is always going to be optimistic. The vast majority of fans knew he had a tough job on trying to recover from Alan Archibald's summer transfer madness. 

He's came in, shipped out the absolute dross and will keep us up without the need for play offs. Whisper it but ... Caldwell has turned it around. For example, look at the away form compared to Archie. I know this upsets some people who would like to see him fail. 

Caldwell has won the last two vital games and yet some still slag him off and bring up comments from Kenny Miller about the Scotland set up - give us a break.

Smile, be positive and just admit to yourselves - Caldwell's not as bad as you thought.  

Well done Gary Caldwell. 

See the above post. 

I do admit he is turning out not to be as bad as I first thought and performance v RC 1st half, DU, Alloa, Ayr etc have been much improved. He still has failings though, I am not saying he has to be perfect and let's hope he continues to improve as a manager and tactician. 

I would also like to record that I also think you are being way too harsh suggesting some on here would like him to fail. Utter p1sh my fellow jaggy, I have never encountered any fellow jags fan who has ever wanted their team to lose or their manager to fail. Have a word with yourself Always. You are completely wrong on that one.

I'll admit that there have been some of us driving a stake through his heart (metaphorically) when he fecks up, but that's what we fans do. Retract sir

17 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

You don't fancy a job as manager, do you? I only ask as you seem to have the patter off pat. :lol:

There are at least a couple on here saying he hasn’t proved himself and based on his start should be let go irrespective of how we finish. I saw a chart somewhere that showed that this calendar year our form is 3rd best. Only County and Dundee Utd have better and it is possible they will both be promoted. It is also worth noting that very seldom does a relegated team get back to the top flight right away.  I am interested to know what “proving himself “ would mean to those posters.

• Like 1

This is my view of the situation:

• Caldwell initially thought there was enough talent at his disposal to challenge for promotion.
  • It quickly became apparent - through results and whatever was going on in the dressing room - that morale was rock bottom and certain players weren't prepared to buy into his vision.
  • Those that weren't were shipped out in the transfer window with senior pros being brought in to steady the ship. A smattering of available younger players were also brought in to boost numbers/see what they had to offer.
  • That approach has been largely successful - Scott McDonald, whatever you think of the way he celebrated last week's beautiful winner, has been one of the signings of the decade - with us being one of the top-performing Championship sides in 2019.
  • He's instilled pride and dig in what was largely, pre-January, a gutless and heartless mob.
  • We also reached the quarters of the Scottish Cup, disposing of a few potential banana skins and taking an eventual finalist to a replay.

Sure, he's made mistakes - my patience was paper-thin at 15:45 on Saturday - but everything above suggests he more than deserves a crack at promotion next season. I should caveat this heavily by including that I'm aware that we could still go down, though.

Some people will never get over the fact he replaced a Thistle legend. Some people will never get over the fact he allowed another one to leave. Some people will scream blue murder every time he brings on Storey ahead of Fitzpatrick. And some people will continue to claim that it's the worst it's ever been the next time he makes a hard/wrong decision. Tough sh*t.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

If Alloa do go down in the fashion they would have then I don't see why people would change their opinion of him. As red hot favourites to crash out a la Brechin he has done an excellent job with them. His managerial pedigree has only risen this season. Can we say the same about our manager, who was publicly brought in to challenge for promotion?

Another good point. Personally I think alloa will at worst be in play offs which they will win. He's done a great job, bringing them up and challenging the way they are for a part time club. That's what we need to remember. A fraction of the budget of us, Falkirk, qos, ton erc. You just can't  compare our manager with alloas.

Goodwin - great job

Caldwell- ok job (at best)

2 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Another good point. Personally I think alloa will at worst be in play offs which they will win. He's done a great job, bringing them up and challenging the way they are for a part time club. That's what we need to remember. A fraction of the budget of us, Falkirk, qos, ton erc. You just can't  compare our manager with alloas.

Goodwin - great job

Caldwell- ok job (at best)

Conversely, you could say that we can't compare them because whoever took the Thistle job was immediately under huge amounts of pressure, whereas Goodwin was under very little *if* Alloa were expected to 'do a Brechin', as claimed.

• Like 2

• admin locked this topic