Caldwell’s Massive 7 Days

Paukea

@Third Lanark I’ve hardly been on the forum this week, work has been busy and I’ve driven to England & back twice.

I looked at the Chesterfield forum once back in November.

Nothing about my behaviour is strange, other than your assumptions and the fact that we have a different opinion on the Manchester Messiah ;)

2 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:
  • McDonald's goal at Alloa.
  • Fitzpatrick's last-minute winner against United. 
  • McDonald's opener at Falkirk.

Three crucial goals that Mansell has laid on a plate for the scorer. But let's pretend he's been an unmitigated disaster. 

Nigel Mansell, would have knocked another two in himself

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

As ever missing the point .... we have Caldwell because Archie was still the manager after getting relegated if he had been let go or done the decent thing and resigned last May we would not have Caldwell as manager 

He offered his resignation and it was rejected.

10 minutes ago, sandy said:

@Third Lanark I’ve hardly been on the forum this week, work has been busy and I’ve driven to England & back twice.

I looked at the Chesterfield forum once back in November.

Nothing about my behaviour is strange, other than your assumptions and the fact that we have a different opinion on the Manchester Messiah ;)

Driven to England twice - was that to Wigan and chesterfield :thumbsup2:

36 minutes ago, muirparkman said:

There really is some bitchfest going on over this, but I for one will be going to Dumfries on Saturday to watch Partick Thistle play a game of football. Now I will be hoping we get a result that keeps us from entering the playoffs, and if this means needing Ayr to do us a favour I'll take it. I don't care who comes out that tunnel wearing a Thistle strip, I'll be right behind them the whole game. Even if their heads go down mine won't, because at the end of all this some of them can just walk away, join another club and kiss another badge. But I will still support Partick Thistle. I can't do the walking away part, cos this is my team and I think all of us should just think about it a little before posting some of this crap. Get to Palmerston and support the team . That's what being a fan is about, not fighting between ourselves. Difference of opinion is one thing but some of the posts on here are poison.

Absolute state of this.

8 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

He wanted paid though to the end of his contract which is fair enough but probably why the board didn’t accept it. I presume they were hoping he would walk for free

Edited by Third Lanark

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

So are we saying Caldwell’s tenure is really based on tomorrow’s game and we conveniently forget about the 7 months that Caldwell has been in place .

Do you watch the games and see the negative and safety first tactics that he asks the players to play 

Just wondering 

I realise you are being condescending. I don't agree with your assessment. As plenty have said on here they will give Caldwell more time IF he keeps us up. If he doesn't I have no problem with him getting the boot. It is fine margins. Unlike you I can see both sides. What's your problem with that?

4 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

There is not the slightest doubt that should we somehow, either by our own efforts, or more likely by events  60 miles away, manage to avoid the play-offs it will be hailed on here by the fan bois as a great success, that we should all give thanks to our maker for beings spared the ignominy etc., ect., or at least presented as Caldo having 'saved us' from relegation (those exact words have already actually been used).

Whereas, having brought us to this, instead of 'challenging for promotion', he should be punted regardless.

Wow. You have never made that point before. It's like going into the pub and for the barman ( for example Boaby from still game ) to repeat on a nightly basis the same point over and over. We all know of course that Boaby is rarely right and if he is it's by accident not design. Anyway I am now officially looking forward to the game. Would be hilarious if I end up standing next to sandy, semi and jls.

2 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Despite all the calls for his immediate execution, the jury's still out on Caldwell. He was an ambitious appointment - much more so than McCall or Goodwin would have been.

Gary Caldwell has no shortage of ambition. However, having ambition doesn't count for much if you can't back it up with results.

I have to say, either Ian McCall or Jim Goodwin, would be (IMO) excellent appointments as manager, as they both have the ambition and ability to take our club onto a much higher level.

You are right though, Gary Caldwell has no shortage of ambition or self belief. Sometimes I get the impression that he thinks he's too good for our club, he has a very high an opinion of himself. Some may say that he's a big head.

Nevertheless, Gary Caldwell does deserve great credit for turning things around after an abysmal start. Not many managers could do that. I hope for all our sake that we get a result on Saturday :thumbsup2:

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Wow. You have never made that point before. It's like going into the pub and for the barman ( for example Boaby from still game ) to repeat on a nightly basis the same point over and over. We all know of course that Boaby is rarely right and if he is it's by accident not design. Anyway I am now officially looking forward to the game. Would be hilarious if I end up standing next to sandy, semi and jls.

You were the Boaby that wrote about Caldo 'saving'  from relegation.

"Two pints, pr--k".

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Seriously .....so you resign from your job but your employer says no you can’t leave .....ptfc isn’t a prison if he wanted to go he could have .....he didn’t and we get this 

Ok in the spirit of being helpful I for one will not be posting till sometime after the final whistle tomorrow .....whatever the outcome a period of some reflection would be sensible

the most important thing is that we get a result tomorrow!

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

He wanted paid though to the end of his contract which is fair enough but probably why the board didn’t accept it. I presume they were hoping he would walk for free

They should have done the right thing TL, they should have accepted Archie and Shaggy's resignations and paid off the remainder of their contracts in full. They deserved no less. The club had the money, they are spendthrifts and cheapskates rolled into one. What an endearing combination. Not.

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:
  • McDonald's goal at Alloa.
  • Fitzpatrick's last-minute winner against United. 
  • McDonald's opener at Falkirk.

Three crucial goals that Mansell has laid on a plate for the scorer. But let's pretend he's been an unmitigated disaster. 

Great stuff. Write it down on a piece of paper, put it in a white envelope and send it to you know who.

And let's pretend that this prolific goalscorer is so good that he gets a start every week.

25 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok in the spirit of being helpful I for one will be posting till sometime after the final whistle tomorrow .....whatever the outcome a period of some reflection would be sensible

the most important thing is that we get a result tomorrow!

Arithmetic never my strong point, so I'm never too sure just how many pints and haufs make up "a period of some reflection". :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

If you did, you would probably be in the QOS side of the ground. Supporters never in a million years. I would rather see them go than GC

36 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Great stuff. Write it down on a piece of paper, put it in a white envelope and send it to you know who.

And let's pretend that this prolific goalscorer is so good that he gets a start every week.

Christ, you're a bore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

FWIW, here are my thoughts (as everyone else is expressing theirs)

On results, pre-New Year this was unacceptable. I know that he was dealt a bad deck, but I think he could have got more out of Archies players. Just 1 win from these games would have made a huge difference now. Post-New Year we have been good. Good enough to have made the playoffs had we had this for all season. I would like to think that going forward this (or better) is what we should expect.

On transfers, I think he has done a good job. I saw the flaws and addressed them well with the players who were available in the January window. It is clear that Caldwell does have some good contacts, so I would be confident that the squad would be improved over the summer.

Where he has totally failed is in the PR. I'm sure that SAS-gate and Squad-gate were both done for good reason, and probably do have some merit, however the way the stories have come out have made us laughing stocks. As a result he has lost the good will of the vast majority of supporters (aka customers). Even those supporting him are not doing it with 100% conviction. I think that this is his biggest failing and I have seen nothing to suggest that he is able to address that.

However, there are 2 unknowns to us mortals. What do the players think ? Are they behind him ? I know what they say publicly, but when has a player ever slagged of the current manager unless they desperately want a move. I'm sure that our CEO will speak to the players and will know that situation, so while I don't have much confidence in the board, I wouldn't expect them to hold onto a manager who has lost the dressing room.

The other unknown is the finances. Do we have the cash to pay him off, and would that be money well spent at this time. Again, this is one for the board to make a judgement call on. 

Do we know what his contract details are? Is it a rolling 1 year or what. I can't remember 

16 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

If you did, you would probably be in the QOS side of the ground. Supporters never in a million years. I would rather see them go than GC

A Doctor writes:

The above post is an interesting example of the psychological condition known as the ‘paranoid self-righteousness of the Über-fan’.

This is a delusional condition and very difficult to understand, even for those experienced in psychology of paranoia, although its symptoms are often widespread and easily recognisable in football fans.  Some fans develop personality traits which lead them to view their fellow supporters in terms of an apartheid system of fan classification: ‘Über-fans’ and ‘Ünter-fans’. Most sufferers score highly on Adorno’s F-scale, and exhibit, along with an irrational obeisance to authority, a form of Emotional Attachment Syndrome (EAS) which attaches itself to an object of veneration, for example a particular manager or Board of Directors (‘fan-bois’ in the vernacular.

One of the symptoms of Über-fannery, as we shall call it, is that after the incubation period, they begin to view themselves as a kind of ‘Illuminati’, along with similarly enlightened and elect Fan-führers. Über-fans, for example, see themselves as having the right to express any opinion at any time, providing it is loyal to the club and contains not even the smallest whiff of criticism of the existing board or manager; conversely they cannot tolerate any criticism and view Ünter-fans as a lesser breed, who should not be allowed to express any opinion on the forum until after 2200 on a Saturday night once the debate is largely over. Über-fans, for example, will not tolerate any uttered or written reference to football as ‘an entertainment industry’. Occasionally they develop a vicious corrosive monomania that any fan who so much as implies any criticism of the  manager (and accordingly their own point of view) is ‘not a real fan’ at all, whether they have or have not attended Firhill  for half a century, and take afternoons off work to go and see the reserves. They develop a sufferer’s argot which they frequently verbalise as follows: ‘Were you at the game?’ ‘Do you hold a season ticket?’ ‘Were you on holiday at the time?’

Perhaps the most marked and dangerous symptom (which is evidently ineradicable) is the delusional, indeed schizoid, condition of frequently accusing Ünter-fans (some who have watched the team for over half a century, and attend reserve matches) of wanting the team to lose. Unfortunately, this particular condition (‘Illuminati Syndrome’) is incurable, however it should be addressed by publicly and repeatedly slapping the sufferers of Über-fannery with a large wet fish, preferably a stinking haddock, about the head and face until symptoms abate.

1 hour ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell has no shortage of ambition. However, having ambition doesn't count for much if you can't back it up with results.

I have to say, either Ian McCall or Jim Goodwin, would be (IMO) excellent appointments as manager, as they both have the ambition and ability to take our club onto a much higher level.

You are right though, Gary Caldwell has no shortage of ambition or self belief. Sometimes I get the impression that he thinks he's too good for our club, he has a very high an opinion of himself. Some may say that he's a big head.

Nevertheless, Gary Caldwell does deserve great credit for turning things around after an abysmal start. Not many managers could do that. I hope for all our sake that we get a result on Saturday :thumbsup2:

Not so sure about turning things around ?

Going to be a nervous afternoon tomorrow for sure .

• admin locked this topic